Loose spoke

Noticed a spoke on the front wheel is loose. I'm going into the shop to have them all properly tightened but was wondering why one spoke might come loose. Is this normal?

Normal for inexpensive bikes with machine tightened spokes made of scrap metal.
See 17 posts on Rad known problems thread, and 3 or posters about their aventon bikes on parts thread.
If you didn't run over a curb or into a pothole or something and possibly bend a rim, real steel spokes (DT swiss for example) don't stretch.
I tighten spokes with a crescent wrench. A real one from crescent, not an imitation one from H***** F******. Have had to tighten a couple on my $221 power wheel at about 4000 miles, not on the wheels that came with my yubabike.

The bike is a Gepida city bike, 2017. Not sure what brand of rims it has. Will find out if the rim is bent or why a single spoke might be so loose.

It can happen on any wheel, especially the bumpier more abusive the ride. Also a miss by QC at the factory.
I wouldn't stress about it. Your taking it to a shop to be tightened, they should check the rest of the spokes and the wheel for damage and true_ness

The shop tightened this, and spun the wheel around to see if it was obviously out of true. Next week I am taking it in for a software update to the Bosch motor and they'll look it over more thoroughly.

One of my sons is an engineer for a bicycle component company. Among other things they design and sell wheels. He's telling me that they are having quality issues with some of their machine assembled wheels where the assembler isn't using 'spoke prep' on the spoke threads or spokes are not being fully tensioned to spec. Spoke prep drys to be gummy but not so much that the spokes can't be adjusted in the future. It helps prevent the spoke nipples from loosening while riding. Spokes that are not fully tensioned will flex more when riding also contributing to loosening nipples and pre-mature spoke breakage at their head.

Either way your LBS can make the necessary adjustments but I would suggest you check your spoke tension at least once a month to be sure no other issues develop.

Normal for inexpensive bikes with machine tightened spokes made of scrap metal.
See 17 posts on Rad known problems thread, and 3 or posters about their aventon bikes on parts thread.
If you didn't run over a curb or into a pothole or something and possibly bend a rim, real steel spokes (DT swiss for example) don't stretch.
I tighten spokes with a crescent wrench. A real one from crescent, not an imitation one from H***** F******. Have had to tighten a couple on my $221 power wheel at about 4000 miles, not on the wheels that came with my yubabike.
I wore a 4" Crescent wrench on a lanyard from my many years of racing small sailboats to tighten D shackles. I notice some bike shops carry non stainless spokes. Which fail more often from metal fatigue.

The spokes are described as " SAPIM Stainless Black." I believe this was a random QC error. The rest of the spokes seem OK and there has not been a general problem with them. I have to take the bike in for new brakes and they will check all of them. Really chewing through those brakes.

are there some brands that have less broken spokes? I have broken 5 in the 4 months (and 1000 miles) that I have owned my bike. I have been careful but NYC streets are terrible and it not exactly the smoothest of roads. It is making me question getting a different bike.

are there some brands that have less broken spokes? I have broken 5 in the 4 months (and 1000 miles) that I have owned my bike. I have been careful but NYC streets are terrible and it not exactly the smoothest of roads. It is making me question getting a different bike.
if thats happening the wheel. need. rebuilt by a pro its the only want to stop it.

Bikes with more expensive wheels will have fewer problems. You can get better quality wheels for a fairly reasonable price as well. Either way, these wheels will have tighter quality control that assures proper tensioning and the use of spoke prep on each spoke. The best wheels will be assembled by hand, but these wheels are very pricey.

The was re-spoked by the LBS (after 3 broke). That lasted 500 miles but unfortunately another 2 have broke since then. The LBS has reached out to the company but to no avail. I'd really hate to get a much more expensive bike but maybe it may have to be respoked again?

Last edited:
I was re-spoked by the LBS which lasted 500 miles but unfortunately another 2 have broke since then. The LBS has reached out to the company but to no avail. I'd really had to get a much more expensive bike though.
its time to take it to someone to rebuild the wheel. you cant just have spokes replaced. it would not cost too much to be redone by a pro. then it will be reliable.

The was re-spoked by the LBS (after 3 broke). That lasted 500 miles but unfortunately another 2 have broke since then. The LBS has reached out to the company but to no avail. I'd really hate to get a much more expensive bike but maybe it may have to be respoked again?

I would think that higher quality wheels would be cheaper then a new ebike...IMHO.

When I recently destroyed my derailleur with the help of a forest trail stick, my rear wheel became unbalanced (but quite rideable). On closer examination, there were two spokes on the right side that had been impacted/slightly bent by the derailleur going into them. The wobble was fairly pronounced and I thought a trip to my Trek LBS was inevitable. Reading up on the issue, I decided to adjust the spoke tension in the affected areas. I was amazed at how I was able to bring the wheel pretty much into true with a spoke wrench. Mind you, I think these Bontrager Connection rims are pretty well put together to begin with.

Back