Looking to get a spare Gates belt for my Multicharger

TimJohn

I have had my Multicharger for a couple of years but looking at getting a spare belt just in case. Does anyone know where to get this and what is the correct part number from Gates? I looked online and googled it but without success.

Timothy

Timothy, I purchased two Gates belts from bike24.net. That was around two and a half years ago after the belt on my 2019 Homage failed at 15,000 km. Substitute your tax for the 10% Australian GST (shown as VAT) that I paid.

I suggest that you count the number of teeth on your present belt: use nail polish, paint pen or thread as a marker.
David

gates-CDX.jpg

When my belt broke early in 2021 (after about 9,000 km), I could not find any local source for a replacement in Canada. My bike shop suggested SJS Cycles in the UK. They had the correct size for my SuperDelite and shipped promptly. As David suggested, you need to know the number of teeth for the belt - mine is 137T and in 2021 it cost £95.00 (plus shipping £36.00).

When my belt broke early in 2021 (after about 9,000 km), I could not find any local source for a replacement in Canada. My bike shop suggested SJS Cycles in the UK. They had the correct size for my SuperDelite and shipped promptly. As David suggested, you need to know the number of teeth for the belt - mine is 137T and in 2021 it cost £95.00 (plus shipping £36.00).
Can I ask about the experience of it breaking @Bronte ?

Was it a complete clean snap? Or did it fray and partially tear?

Were you putting additional force through it at the time or just usual pedalling?

They seem so strong that for it to arbitrarily snap seems crazy - I’ve just hit 7,100km on my first belt and wondering about longevity now!

When the belt broke it was a clean snap and I don’t think it was a wear issue.

I was biking along a flat stretch of path and came to a road which had an uphill section which was part of my route. When I hit the hill, I was in 10th gear (Rohloff hub) and “eco” power. Rather then gear down (which I should have done) I increased the power to “eMTB” and stood up on the peddles. This put lots of torque on the belt and it failed about 1/3 of the way up the hill. Lesson learned - gear down going uphill and forget standing. The bike has lots of power that you don’t need to stand up to access. Before it broke, the belt looked fine with no fraying.

l now have 9,000 km on the new belt and it is holding up very well. I just watch how much power I exert on the belt for a given speed. The belts are well made and I believe will last for many thousands of km’. I have not got a backup belt at this point but may look for one over winter.

Can I ask about the experience of it breaking @Bronte ?

Was it a complete clean snap? Or did it fray and partially tear?

Were you putting additional force through it at the time or just usual pedalling?

They seem so strong that for it to arbitrarily snap seems crazy - I’ve just hit 7,100km on my first belt and wondering about longevity now!
I guess belt longevity depends a lot on how they're treated:

I'd be disappointed if I didn't get 20k km out of the one on my bike..

Last edited:
When the belt broke it was a clean snap and I don’t think it was a wear issue.

I was biking along a flat stretch of path and came to a road which had an uphill section which was part of my route. When I hit the hill, I was in 10th gear (Rohloff hub) and “eco” power. Rather then gear down (which I should have done) I increased the power to “eMTB” and stood up on the peddles. This put lots of torque on the belt and it failed about 1/3 of the way up the hill. Lesson learned - gear down going uphill and forget standing. The bike has lots of power that you don’t need to stand up to access. Before it broke, the belt looked fine with no fraying.

l now have 9,000 km on the new belt and it is holding up very well. I just watch how much power I exert on the belt for a given speed. The belts are well made and I believe will last for many thousands of km’. I have not got a backup belt at this point but may look for one over winter.
You might want to check the wear on the front and rear sprockets, ideally you should change them out when replacing the belt. I compared my existing sprockets with a new set @24,000 kms and the wear is pretty obvious.
Not doing so will likely reduce the life of replacement belt.

You might want to check the wear on the front and rear sprockets, ideally you should change them out when replacing the belt. I compared my existing sprockets with a new set @24,000 kms and the wear is pretty obvious.
Not doing so will likely reduce the life of replacement belt.
Ken, thanks! l have been looking at the wear on both sprockets and they are definitely looking well worn (approximately 16,000 km on them). I will need to change them before I start cycling again this spring. I will probably need to get a new belt as well.

I installed a new front sprocket today and as you said Ken the wear was very obvious and I would say significant. Perhaps one of the reasons for such wear is that the front sprocket is aluminum which is soft and will wear with grit between the sprocket and belt like sandpaper. The rear sprocket is stainless and does not show the same wear - it is also appears to be more complicated to replace.

I installed a new front sprocket today and as you said Ken the wear was very obvious and I would say significant. Perhaps one of the reasons for such wear is that the front sprocket is aluminum which is soft and will wear with grit between the sprocket and belt like sandpaper. The rear sprocket is stainless and does not show the same wear - it is also appears to be more complicated to replace.
Rear sprocket is relatively easy as well. There's a retaining ring that holds the sprocket. Undo and it comes off.
Just did both and a new belt today. Discovered a few teeth on the old belt coming off, just before a trip tomorrow. Glad I checked!

Back