Looking for reliable 1000w rear hub motor for regen purposes

Potato011

Region
USA
I currently have a mongoose envoy equipped with a bbshd and 52v battery. This bike is my daily driver and is often loaded up to 300 lbs (rider + cargo). The areas I ride in have many long hills so I want a rear hub motor for regen so I stop shredding my brakes. I'm looking for a decently reliable 26" rear hub motor that is to be primarily used for regen but can also serve as a backup should the mid drive fail. The motor will be paired with a vesc since I want to experiment into virtual freewheeling. This bike goes offroad pretty often so ideally something with thicker spokes and rims. So far, the prime contenders are the GMAC and one of the ebikling options. I want some feedback on these choices and if there's any other issues with this idea. Thanks

heres a few pics of the bike.

Attachments

• 20240824_175834.jpg
    20240824_175834.jpg
    818.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240824_122516.jpg
    20240824_122516.jpg
    810.5 KB · Views: 13
a dd motor will suck on those hills. but decent brakes will cost far less. we have Shimano 4 piston deore and xt they stop out 450# tandem with 1 finger on 20% grades.

a dd motor will suck on those hills. but decent brakes will cost far less. we have Shimano 4 piston deore and xt they stop out 450# tandem with 1 finger on 20% grades.
you would be surprised,have had good success with even the 500 watt 36 volt dd motors as long as i was willing to pedal,the 36 volt middrives i have tried disappointed me,the 1200 watt dd motor i put on 750 watt gear espin provided more satisfying performance,comes a time when the motor itself has be big,gearing cant do but so much for a small motor.

I'm using magura mt5s on both the front and back wheels. both wheels use 203mm rotors. I can definitely slow down and stop but not at a fast enough rate. The regen is also partially just a science project I want to try out.

I'm using magura mt5s on both the front and back wheels. both wheels use 203mm rotors. I can definitely slow down and stop but not at a fast enough rate. The regen is also partially just a science project I want to try out.
with good metallic pads you should be able to lock bot wheels just fine. can't get more braking then that. we get about 2000 miles on pads and we do a lot of down hills.

with good metallic pads you should be able to lock bot wheels just fine. can't get more braking then that. we get about 2000 miles on pads and we do a lot of down hills.
probably a good idea. i'm using organics because of noise reasons. still want to try the hub just to see how it goes

Back