Looking for New Ebike

Cassidy

I just started researching Ebikes so I'm new to the hobby/sport.
The more I research the more confusing it gets. If any of you have experience please let me know your opinions. I prefer to keep costs down under$2000
It will mostly be used for urban/city/beach as a hobby. The things i want the bike to have ---- Throttle ability, integrated lights, front suspension (shocks), rear geared hub motor or mid (750w or 500w,) fenders and rear rack (although I can add that later), class 2 ....If you have any suggestions let me know. thanks

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat, except for beach excursions and I'm in Canada so it has to be under 500W motor. I have to remember to make sure of motor cutoff switches in the brake levers, plus hydraulic disc brakes - these bikes are heavy.
Something I have noticed is that the weight of supposedly same motor is different from seller to seller ( in EBR review spec writeups, Court gives the weight of the motor) and even from bike to bike with same seller, there are different weights. Typically city bikes have the smaller motors and different torque numbers for same size tire, as well. I would not prefer a 350W motor juiced up to 500W. Oddly enough, I also see what I believe to be some 750W motors selling as 500W, probably "turned down" or limited because of regulations for street.

I just bought my first ebike from surface604.com. The Colt is $1799 with free shipping from Vancouver, BC. Pretty happy with it so far, though my first commute will be tomorrow. I am expecting around 25 miles range (I'm around 240lbs). Unfortunately, they are completely out of stock until August. I already pre-ordered a Rook (step-through model) for my wife.

I posted my initial observations on the bike on the brand-specific Surface 604 forum just the other day.
https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/whats-up-with-surface-604.27255/#post-202297

Hope this helps.

I just bought my first ebike from surface604.com. The Colt is $1799 with free shipping from Vancouver, BC. Pretty happy with it so far, though my first commute will be tomorrow. I am expecting around 25 miles range (I'm around 240lbs). Unfortunately, they are completely out of stock until August. I already pre-ordered a Rook (step-through model) for my wife.

I posted my initial observations on the bike on the brand-specific Surface 604 forum just the other day.
https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/whats-up-with-surface-604.27255/#post-202297

Hope this helps.
That's funny I was just watching a video review on the Colt ...It is on my list for sure. Can you post how your first commute was when you are done. thank you

Thats why it gets more confusing. One bike will have the supposed same motor but the results are different based on bike. I was interested in the Radcity but I learned it has a direct drive rear hub which I learned was inferior. I like researching before I buy, but researching an Ebike seems like it just gets more confusing. I also heard the Radcity 750 w motor is the same as a 500 watt motor.
I think Ive narrowed it down to wanting at least a 500 watt motor (rear hub), torque sensor, throttle ability, hydraulic brakes, integrated lights, and maybe some other minor things

Plus I'd look for name brand battery cells...Panasonic, then Samsung, lastly LG. It seems that Panasonic is a Sanyo product, but Sanyo cells are rarely even mentioned - so Panasonic 1st. I'd want 48v and 17Ah minimum 14.5Ah...but you never get everything good in one model.

I think mid-drive is better than hub drive. I am also looking at installing the Bafang mid-drive motor on my Giant Cypress LX. This conversion kit with battery is in the $1100-$1200 range, I think. You can get it on Amazon. It doesn't look all that difficult, but there are some special tools required. I'd go with the 1000W kit and the 48V or 52V battery. This looks like a really nice kit.

https://www.amazon.com/BAFANG-BBSHD1000W-Electric-Motor-Display/dp/B07CBRC71N

If I don't do this conversion, I fear I may never ride the Giant again! ;) (and it's a really great bike)

I am an older, short, Canadian woman, looking at the Rook as an electric bike option as my patella tendons are blown and hills are out with a conventional bike. Would love to hear a woman’s perspective on how the Rook performs and any issues found. Still shopping.

I am an older, short, Canadian woman, looking at the Rook as an electric bike option as my patella tendons are blown and hills are out with a conventional bike. Would love to hear a woman’s perspective on how the Rook performs and any issues found. Still shopping.
I ordered one for my wife and have to wait until August to get it. If you don't get feedback before then, I'll ask her for her impression after a couple outings.

Back