Looking for bike for BBSHD

Looking for an affordable but decent bike for a BBSHD install.
It would be for a commute mostly, about 15 miles. 50% dirt road in decent shape but not great. 50% smooth road.
Was thinking something w 29 inch wheels. I am 6-5 tall so needs to be xl and pretty sturdy. Some of the trip is hilly including a steep hill for the last part of the commute. So needs to have space for a good size battery.
Was thinking mountain bike with full suspension.
Looked at bikesdirect and bike island but the amount of bikes is overwhelming and I don't know which ones would have a compatible frame for the BBSHD.

I used a Motobecane 529HT purchased from Bikes Direct for my Tonsheng mid-drive "grocery getter" build.
It works well for the purpose. However if I was using it for significant trail riding, I think a week point which would be the same for any aluminum frame is where the heavy battery pack mounts using the water bottle bosses.

20180202_151604.jpg

Take a look at the 2018 Luna Giant Roam 3 with 700c wheels and can be configured with a BBS02 or BBSHD. Another option worth looking at that's a geared rear hub and not BBSHD is the Magnum Peak. Comes in either 27.5 or 29-inch wheels; 24 gears; and 500W (700W peak) 8fun geared rear hub motor. Sold by dealers but can purchase online if dealer not in your area. The 29-inch was reviewed by Court this past November.

Last edited:
I have no experience with a triangle pack, so couldn't say.
Mine are great a couple of years old so they are 2900mAh batteries an$ only 20Ah, but I sure like the best xtended distance. There are good triangle bags and mediocre. Buyer beware.

Looking for an affordable but decent bike for a BBSHD install.
It would be for a commute mostly, about 15 miles. 50% dirt road in decent shape but not great. 50% smooth road.
Was thinking something w 29 inch wheels. I am 6-5 tall so needs to be xl and pretty sturdy. Some of the trip is hilly including a steep hill for the last part of the commute. So needs to have space for a good size battery.
Was thinking mountain bike with full suspension.
Looked at bikesdirect and bike island but the amount of bikes is overwhelming and I don't know which ones would have a compatible frame for the BBSHD.
Look for other builds. I suggest going to Google and looking at BBSHD images and checking out the builds. Fat bikes presentthe biggest fit problem.

I used a Motobecane 529HT purchased from Bikes Direct for my Tonsheng mid-drive "grocery getter" build.
It works well for the purpose. However if I was using it for significant trail riding, I think a week point which would be the same for any aluminum frame is where the heavy battery pack mounts using the water bottle bosses.

Clean build.

Just a suggestion that may work for you? To keep the weight of the battery as low on the dt as possible the stock docking plate doesn't always match up with the existing bosses. Riv Nuts are the cure and it has been my experience, that especially in aluminum frames, they are stronger than the stock ones when installed properly of course. The tool can be bought at Harbor Freight and the process is well documented on youtube. Just make sure you get the proper nuts as they come in lots of flavors. Usually M6 bolts are used for the stock bosses.

I just put some money on a Haro Double Peak Trail 29er for around $650. Huge space for a battery. Lots of clearance.

Back