Looking for an Ebike for girlfriend with CRPS and weak right leg

headphase

Hello everyone. My girlfriend recently had to have major surgery on her spine in which she lost a lot of sensation on her lower right leg. She has developed Complex Regional Pain Syndrome in that leg, which means she has occasional pain flareups. We have a bunch of trails around where we live and live in a relatively bike-friendly city, so I want her to be able to ride with me because keeping her legs moving helps with the blood flow. I am looking for a bike that is very stable as she has trouble with balancing and has a weak right leg. Should I be looking for a fat bike, a trike, or maybe some other type of bike?

Wow. That's tough. Can she balance OK when she gets moving? If she only has problems when starting out or stopping, that would mean she might be OK with a " crank forward " two wheeled bike like an Electra Townie Go. That lets her put her foot down flat when stopped.
If you do need to go with a trike, most people on here seem to prefer the one wheel in back over the one wheel in front for balance and handling, but very few have ridden both.

If you are mostly going to be riding on pavement, I would avoid a fat tire bike. Narrower tires will have less rolling resistance. I would look for a bike with a throttle. If she has a flare up while you are far from home, the throttle will allow her to still operate the bike if she is unable to pedal.

Wow. That's tough. Can she balance OK when she gets moving? If she only has problems when starting out or stopping, that would mean she might be OK with a " crank forward " two wheeled bike like an Electra Townie Go. That lets her put her foot down flat when stopped.
If you do need to go with a trike, most people on here seem to prefer the one wheel in back over the one wheel in front for balance and handling, but very few have ridden both.
I am not sure about her balance while riding a bike. I might need to have her try out bikes at a store. She needs a use a cane or walker while walking so she has a decent amount of trouble with balance. We live in a condo, so the only stationary bike she is able to use is the one in the gym that is recumbent and her right foot slips often while pedaling there.

I know it’s not what you want to hear but, since this sounds like it might progress (and since there seems no cure), I’d look at a trike.

I am not sure about her balance while riding a bike. I might need to have her try out bikes at a store. She needs a use a cane or walker while walking so she has a decent amount of trouble with balance. We live in a condo, so the only stationary bike she is able to use is the one in the gym that is recumbent and her right foot slips often while pedaling there.
One thing about trikes, they don't hold value so much, so when available used, they can be a great value. So this on the buy sell trade section.

There are even recumbent trikes and recumbent tandems if necessary. There is a thread on here somewhere about a dealer who specializes in such bikes for various disabilities. I'll post a link if I can find it .

My wife has MS, her brain cannot communicate with her right leg. This affects her balance. She rides a Liberty Trike. It is narrow, but you can go into stores with it. It has a throttle and 750 watt motor. There is a pedal brake and front disc brake. As with any trike keep the speed down.

I know it’s not what you want to hear but, since this sounds like it might progress (and since there seems no cure), I’d look at a trike.
She has had CRPS for a year, and thankfully it hasn't progressed so far because we caught it early. The only problem with trikes are that it is hard to find a place to store it in a condo.
My wife has MS, her brain cannot communicate with her right leg. This affects her balance. She rides a Liberty Trike. It is narrow, but you can go into stores with it. It has a throttle and 750 watt motor. There is a pedal brake and front disc brake. As with any trike keep the speed down.
How is the battery life with the trike?

The battery life has been good. She usually rides 12 to 15 miles before tiring. The battery has always brought her home without pedaling.
The Liberty Trike folds but I a not sure it makes it easier to store. The Liberty also has reverse which has been very useful.

My two cents:
If you girl friend has balance issues and foot slips off the pedals occasionally, then I strongly discourage any two wheeled bike. It only takes one fall to make the situation worse. A trike would be a wiser option.
Please post what you find.

I'm thinking the Liberty Trike is my top choice right now, but I am also considering the Voltbike Trio and the AddMotor since they have larger batteries and are quicker than 12 mph.

Fat tires imo give you better traction and grip, which can be handy in your case. Good luck with the search mate!

Back