Looking for a little advise.

Some would suggest counting the pages on the known problems thread of the various manufacturers as an indicator of quality. If it were only that simple. How many forum members are owners of the various ebikes? How many posts on the threads are issues vs offers of solutions and feedback from the manufacturer? Do yourself a favor and read some of the threads/posts and not just count pages.

Ultimately, you will have to live with your choice. Ask for advice, but also research, test drive, and research some more.

You can set the speed limit on your bike when you are about to enter the National Park making it a Class 1.
1620773796633.png

I don't know anything about how good or bad it is from experience but wanted you to know that it is a Class 3 Ebike and there are bike trails that do not allow class 3 bikes to use them. I live near one such trail in Acadia National Park. They do not allow Class 2 or 3. However at least with a Class 2 (what I have) you can simply unplug the throttle and ride it like a Class 1 using PAS.
How would anyone else know if it was a class 2 or 3 that was in the trail?

If you're worried about range over speed, look into some of the hub motor bikes with Dual battery option like the 2021 Rize Bike, killer range and speed if you need it!

They won't unless someone in authority stopped the bike and inspected it.
Even numbered Classes of bikes are the only ones that have throttles. They can go 20-Mph. Odd numbered Classes of bikes do not have throttles. Class 1 goes 20, Class 3 goes 28-Mph.
Yes, you could be stopped. It will be confected and entered into evidence if there is a crash resulting in an injury, so that experts can analyze it for testimony in Federal Court. US Park Service Rangers have Federal Police powers, with autonomy and discretion far beyond other police. A violation will also be a point on your driving record along with the fine. It makes sense having bikes in our National Parks be pedal driven and go under 20. Who wants some jerk speeding with a throttle in a campground with kids or on a trail with elderly bird watchers.

Even numbered Classes of bikes are the only ones that have throttles. They can go 20-Mph. Odd numbered Classes of bikes do not have throttles. Class 1 goes 20, Class 3 goes 28-Mph.
Yes, you could be stopped. It will be confected and entered into evidence if there is a crash resulting in an injury, so that experts can analyze it for testimony in Federal Court. US Park Service Rangers have Federal Police powers, with autonomy and discretion far beyond other police. A violation will also be a point on your driving record along with the fine. It makes sense having bikes in our National Parks be pedal driven and go under 20. Who wants some jerk speeding with a throttle in a campground with kids or on a trail with elderly bird watchers.
That's the truly odd thing about this. All the entrances to the park have a single sign that says: 20MPH Class 2&3 Ebikes prohibited. I've ridden every trail in the park many times. There are lots of hills and sharp curves. There is not a single place on any of those trails that I would feel safe traveling at 20MPH. That's what is truly stupid.

One other thing. This was on my bike when I bought it. I can only assume it's there to indicate the bike has a top motor used speed of 20MPH. If I am ever stopped on those trails I would just point to that and to the disconnected throttle cable that I am in compliance with the rules.

Attachments

• DSCF4415.JPG
    DSCF4415.JPG
    160.9 KB · Views: 118
need one that can have a seat attached to it.
This has nothing to do with ebikes, and more to do with quality hardware.

What you want is any bike, ebike or not, with either a rear pannier rack that is either factory built into the frame (ideal), or a bolt-on that is one-piece welded.

Axiom makes a bolt-on rear rack that claims a load of 55kg and I have personally tested this with a human of that weight.

For racks get a disc specific one if you have disc brakes. An Ultra came new with a Class 1 sticker you could put on the bike. It is 1Kw with 160Nm of torque and has a throttle. An HD I built this week had a 250W/20Mph sticker in the box. It is also a 1,000 Watt bike. I do not trust the stickers. I just came back from an amazing ride with a friend to the top of Sonoma Mountain in Northern California and I feel like Superman. It was a blast. After the ride I had fillet of sole stuffed with crab at an outdoor French café. Now it is back to finishing the red one. I will show a photo when it is done.

This has nothing to do with ebikes, and more to do with quality hardware.
What you want is any bike, ebike or not, with either a rear pannier rack that is either factory built into the frame (ideal), or a bolt-on that is one-piece welded.
Axiom makes a bolt-on rear rack that claims a load of 55kg and I have personally tested this with a human of that weight.
If you are going to carry a child, you definitely need to view the yuba pedego stretch & blix packa websites before purchase. They have specific racks designed for specific high volume child car seats. They have shelves and grab bars for 4-8 year olds. They have foot rests. Plus the yuba I bought had a spoke guard on the wheel, to prevent pinch injury to fingers between the frame & the spokes. I don't have children, but yuba drop frame was the only bike made for my short legs with ratios as low as 1:1 and as high as 52:11. Now discontinued: they don't need short people either.
My rack is welded on an doesn't wiggle from side to side. It doesn't rub the fender or tire even I the bike falls over.

Last edited:
If you are going to carry a child, you definitely need to view the yuba pedego stretch & blix packa websites before purchase. They have specific racks designed for specific high volume child car seats. They have shelves and grab bars for 4-8 year olds. They have foot rests. Plus the yuba I bought had a spoke guard on the wheel, to prevent pinch injury to fingers between the frame & the spokes. I don't have children, but yuba drop frame was the only bike made for my short legs with ratios as low as 1:1 and as high as 52:11. Now discontinued: they don't need short people either.
Well my son is 15 months old now and but the time he is 4 he better be ride his own bike so i am not worried about that right now but thanks for the idea .

I don't know anything about how good or bad it is from experience but wanted you to know that it is a Class 3 Ebike and there are bike trails that do not allow class 3 bikes to use them. I live near one such trail in Acadia National Park. They do not allow Class 2 or 3. However at least with a Class 2 (what I have) you can simply unplug the throttle and ride it like a Class 1 using PAS.
Is there a person at the entry gate checking this?

Never seen anyone checking e-bikes here in WA. Just put a class 1 sticker on it and stay within the speed limit.

Is there a person at the entry gate checking this?

Never seen anyone checking e-bikes here in WA. Just put a class 1 sticker on it and stay within the speed limit.
No,I've never seen anyone manning any of the gates nor on the trails. As to the other I prefer to follow the rules set whether someone is checking or not. As to speed that's an easy one as 20MPH is to fast to ride anywhere on those trails.

No,I've never seen anyone manning any of the gates nor on the trails. As to the other I prefer to follow the rules set whether someone is checking or not. As to speed that's an easy one as 20MPH is to fast to ride anywhere on those trails.
Accidents happen. Just don't let one happen on an unlawful bike. My aunt was killed by a bike. She had a walker in a park.
Just finished making the red bike electric. How does it look?

Attachments

• PublicV7Electric.JPG
    PublicV7Electric.JPG
    569.4 KB · Views: 132
  • PublicV7Brakes2.JPG
    PublicV7Brakes2.JPG
    248.7 KB · Views: 126
  • PublicV7Display&Trigger.JPG
    PublicV7Display&Trigger.JPG
    296.9 KB · Views: 127
  • PublicV7Freewheel.JPG
    PublicV7Freewheel.JPG
    290.6 KB · Views: 128
Me and and my wife are looking for a couple of Ebikes for when we go camping , we have a 15 month old and would also need one that can have a seat attached to it.
I’ve just started looking and really have no clue what to look for or what brands to stay away from. Price needs to stay under 2k each.
Is there any brands that I should stay away from and what’s the three top brands out right now?
It is foolhardy to put a 15 month child on the back of a bicycle. People do it but then people do a great many stupid things. Check out information on injuries to young children and also on muscle development with infants (shaken baby syndrome for example).

It is foolhardy to put a 15 month child on the back of a bicycle. People do it but then people do a great many stupid things. Check out information on injuries to young children and also on muscle development with infants (shaken baby syndrome for example).
The ones I've seen look like the child safety seats for cars and I doubt there could be any shaken baby syndrome on a fat tire bike going 10MPH or so.

That’s pretty funny have to admit , if you think that’s a problem then you’d really think it is the way he’s shook in the back seat of my F-250 then.I’d never do anything to but my son in harms way fist of all and the type of riding we will be doing isn’t going to be on anything but paved roads for quite some time but thanks for your interest.

Back