Looking at Rad bikes, but I'd have to order one sight unseen with no returns. Issue is I am 6'2" @ 325 lbs - will they fit my size?

Dogwood

I am very worried about spending this much money on something without first at least sitting on it and Rad doesn't seem to have a return policy at all. I have narrowed it down to a radwagon or a radrunner. I am leaning to the radwagon, but the geometry looks a little tight or maybe more forward leaning - I am also 50 and have a bad back so I am looking for an upright bike. The Radwagon, however, has the higher weight limit and I would also like to use it for groceries and carrying my dog. My local bike stores do not have much comparable price wise, and the Rad bike reviews look mostly good - but the guy testing it is always 5'5'' 135lbs so not as good for me...LOL. In Canada we are also limited to 550 watts maximum. I am looking for some advice. Thank you in advance.

OK, some thoughts from another big guy. I'm 6'2"/315 (I'm 69), so I get where you are coming from. That's a hell of a jump to make spending the money on that first bike, but I'm about 95% sure it'll put a huge grin on your face that won't go away for quite some time!

I learned (the hard way, as usual) that direct drive rear hubs are pretty gutless as compared to a geared rear hub. They don't like stop and go, hills, or lower speeds (say under 15mph). I have absolutely no idea why RAD has chosen to install a direct drive rear hub under what is clearly meant as a work horse.

The geared rear hubs offer MUCH more in the way of "sporty" performance. They can get you across a busy road in a much safer fashion (quickly!), do much better on hills, and still do nicely at speeds up to 20mph or so. The crazy thing is, they can do this without using much more poewer than the direct drive hubs, so battery range is not really affected as much as you would think.

My point to all this is, I think you might find the Rover a better choice. I bought a City, and started modifying it within 6 weeks of delivery. I thought it was a pig then. Today it's a completely different bike......

I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about max legal wattage either. One of the nicer things about purchasing a RAD is the fact that a fellow by the name of Bolton has taken the time and trouble to produce a kit that's able to increase the bike's performance substantially by removing factory installed electronic restrictions designed to decrease US legal performance to that legal in Canada. Highly recommended.

Last, if you go with a Rover, and ride the bike on pavement a lot, the knobs on the tires are noisey. There are tires available with a street tread that work really well, and are very quiet! Noteworthy also, is the fact these big fat tires are known to produce what might be a really back friendly ride. -Al

Last edited:
I ride very upright on the yubabikes bodaboda left. I had 400 lb on it today, 180 lb me, 220 lb bike tools & groceries. This is the drop frame for small people. I imagine the big people frame should be even more capable. I have 2.1" knobby tires.
yuba is selling a bodaboda now with shimano mid drive, which allows one to ride without power without drag when you can. I ride no power 90% of the time, but when my 30 mile commute would go 6 hours @ 144 bpm at 96 deg F, on goes the power. Headwinds are getting vicious due to global warming. Didn't used to be that windy in September & late April.
If you want a geared hub like I have, the magnum cargo bike comes with one. I had to install my geared front hub myself since in 2017 yuba was selling bosch mid-drive, which drags like a boat anchor power off. I want power for bad days, not every day. Sometimes I twist my Army worn knee and don't pedal at all, use the throttle.
I've got a selle royale respiro seat now. The one in the picture was a schwinn from the grocery, & hard as a rock. The yuba original was narrow & hard. The selle is just as wide as the one in the picture & much softer. The handlbar grips are pool floats over sun rubber ones.
BTW there are no reports of yuba or magnum selling spokes that have to be torque checked monthly. See Rad known problems thread. They actually told a purchaser to do that, instead of replacing his wheels as they should have done. Rad looks just like a real bicycle, except that the wheels aren't round. I've had no spoke problems on the yuba, & have 5000 miles on it. SRAM shifters are more precise than the kiddie quality 7 speed shifters on the Radwagon, also. 8 speeds gets me up hills better with a 32:32 to 52:11 ratio selection.
Magnum & yuba can be bought from dealers in a lot of cities, which means problems are his problem, not yours. They cost more than rad or direct delivery bikes. I bought mine direct because the nearest dealer was 1500 miles in 2017. the yubabike had no problems.

Last edited:
BTW there are no reports of yuba or magnum selling spokes that have to be torque checked monthly. See Rad known problems thread. They actually told a purchaser to do that, instead of replacing his wheels as they should have done. Rad looks just like a real bicycle, except that the wheels aren't round.
Sorry my BS meter just pegged. I don't understand the gratuitous and ongoing comments about Rad spokes. I just searched and it seems like most of the comments about Rad spoke problems are by you saying there is a problem. While there may have once been problem with Rad spokes, I'll even say there was a problem for a while, there hasn't been a problem as long as I've had my Rover in 2018. Certainly not with mine. I shouldn't say there have been no problems. There probably have been the odd issues, but I doubt they've been any more common than with the average ebike. It is (present tense) not an endemic problem.

I have had zero problems with my spokes. I don't check them as often as I should, but everyone should check their spokes periodically. Not as often as checking your tire air pressure, but regularly. Once every month or two or three, depending on what kind of riding you do.

Anyway, if you're considering a new Rad bike, worrying about spokes shouldn't be a consideration.

TT

See this thread post #14 https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/rad-power-bikes-in-general.33423/
There was a lady in scotland I welcomed that had 3 spokes replaced in first 2 months, 3 trips to the bike store. Piece of ****.
Also read the known problems thread where the guy was told by Rad to torque check his spokes monthly. About page 12. That bike should be sent to the crusher for scrap. Garbage by internet. I ride my yuba bike, not torque check the spokes monthly. 5000 miles & no loose spokes, I sound check them with a screwdriver when I change tires. Every 2000 miles or year. Costs more than a Rad, worth more than a Rad.

Last edited:
OK, some thoughts from another big guy. I'm 6'2"/315 (I'm 69), so I get where you are coming from. That's a hell of a jump to make spending the money on that first bike, but I'm about 95% sure it'll put a huge grin on your face that won't go away for quite some time!
Thanks Al, I am going to look into what you said about geared hubs and the Radwagon. But... $2000 (that's Canadian which is about $1400'ish American) seems to be about the cheapest I can find for an E-bike here. Most bikes start at about $2300 and go way up from there where I'm from. Am I missing out on some cheaper good bikes? I do have a bit more money to spend if needed- it's my 50th birthday present - as I don't want garbage. The Rad bikes have got pretty good consistent reviews, but I am also a bit worried about long distance customer service on their bikes. Thanks again for the advice.

I ride very upright on the yubabikes bodaboda left. I had 400 lb on it today, 180 lb me, 220 lb bike tools & groceries. This is the drop frame for small people. I imagine the big people frame should be even more capable. I have 2.1" knobby tires.
yuba is selling a bodaboda now with shimano mid drive, which allows one to ride without power without drag when you can. I ride no power 90% of the time, but when my 30 mile commute would go 6 hours @ 144 bpm at 96 deg F, on goes the power. Headwinds are getting vicious due to global warming. Didn't used to be that windy in September & late April.
Thanks TT, I looked up the yubabikes bodaboda and they do look great, but the price is $4200 (Canadian) - $2200 more than the Rad's. I'm going to look into it some more but the price is at my very upper end right now. Thanks again for the advie.

The Rad bikes have got pretty good consistent reviews, but I am also a bit worried about long distance customer service on their bikes. Thanks again for the advice.
If you're worried about service Rad might not be the bike for you. Their customer service is, in my opinion, based on my own experience and what I've seen others say, quite good. They will talk you through things and are great with warranty issues, in my experience. But if you're afraid to turn a wrench yourself shopping locally might be the way to go. I haven't been to a bike shop for my Rover yet. I patch tubes and replace tires, tune spokes (rarely), adjust and change brakes, tune my derailleur, and other things I'm sure, all on my own. Well, with the help of great YouTube vids, mostly those posted by Park Tool. I'm fine with all that. I'd do at least most of it even if I'd bought locally. For that matter, I have a couple of acoustic bikes still. The shop I got them from has been out of business for about 12 years, so there's that to consider about buying locally. And I totally understand that not everyone is comfortable with, or capable of, doing their own maintenance.

Push come to shove, if necessary I'm about positive that I could find some professional help locally for my Rover, but for me, it hasn't come to that yet.

TT

Thanks Al, I am going to look into what you said about geared hubs and the Radwagon. But... $2000 (that's Canadian which is about $1400'ish American) seems to be about the cheapest I can find for an E-bike here. Most bikes start at about $2300 and go way up from there where I'm from. Am I missing out on some cheaper good bikes? I do have a bit more money to spend if needed- it's my 50th birthday present - as I don't want garbage. The Rad bikes have got pretty good consistent reviews, but I am also a bit worried about long distance customer service on their bikes. Thanks again for the advice.

The Rad Wagon is a long way from what I would consider to be garbage, but I don't care for the drive system RAD has installed in them. The Rad Rover is a more conventional bike for sure, in the price range you are after, and it is equipped with the more powerful gear driven rear hub.

There ARE other brands available for just a little more. Juiced Bikes for instance. They have both the Ripcurrent and Crosscurrent series that are just a little more, but come with hydraulic brakes and 52 volt batteries. Both pretty popular options over the mechanical disk brakes and 48v batteries from RAD. These will both be geared rear hub bikes.

The Rad Wagon is a long way from what I would consider to be garbage, but I don't care for the drive system RAD has installed in them. The Rad Rover is a more conventional bike for sure, in the price range you are after, and it is equipped with the more powerful gear driven rear hub.

There ARE other brands available for just a little more. Juiced Bikes for instance. They have both the Ripcurrent and Crosscurrent series that are just a little more, but come with hydraulic brakes and 52 volt batteries. Both pretty popular options over the mechanical disk brakes and 48v batteries from RAD. These will both be geared rear hub bikes.
Thanks for the advice. I am currently looking into Juiced bikes and they look great - the Ripcurrent in particular. I have sent out a request to see if they come in 500 watt battery options, however, as they are only listed at 750 which is illegal on paths or the road in Canada. Unfortunately, we are really limited up here with our local selection - it may have to do with 8 months of winter....

Thanks again for your response.

See this thread post #14 https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/rad-power-bikes-in-general.33423/
There was a lady in scotland I welcomed that had 3 spokes replaced in first 2 months, 3 trips to the bike store. Piece of ****.
Also read the known problems thread where the guy was told by Rad to torque check his spokes monthly. About page 12. That bike should be sent to the crusher for scrap. Garbage by internet. I ride my yuba bike, not torque check the spokes monthly. 5000 miles & no loose spokes, I sound check them with a screwdriver when I change tires. Every 2000 miles or year. Costs more than a Rad, worth more than a Rad.
Why do you think, anyone cares what you think? I’ve read a lot of your posts and you just seem like a bitter old man .🙁

Thanks for the advice. I am currently looking into Juiced bikes and they look great - the Ripcurrent in particular. I have sent out a request to see if they come in 500 watt battery options, however, as they are only listed at 750 which is illegal on paths or the road in Canada. Unfortunately, we are really limited up here with our local selection - it may have to do with 8 months of winter....

Thanks again for your response.

2 thoughts regarding the Canadian bikes. First, it's the motor's wattage rating that matters legally, not the battery's. And then, the motor itself will be virtually the same motor sold in the US, but it will have an electronic restriction placed on it to "de-rate" it to the max. allowed 500w. This is true of about any Canadian bike with a nearly identical US counterpart.

2nd, that electronic restriction is not real hard to remove, and is done frequently, because proving that has been done is nearly impossible for authorities. That's why I mentioned that worry over max wattage not a real big deal in practical terms. Again, speaking in practical terms, the bigger deal would be regarding the manf's willingness to send a bike to Canada.

FWIW, IMHO, the bottom line is that authorities remain clueless regarding the fast growing e-bike market. They've drawn up MANY rules that are impossible to enforce or make no sense at all reacting in a knee jerk manner. For that reason, there is very little enforcement - unless you are really asking for it by clearly abusing common sense. -Al

Does anyone have advice regarding rider height that can be accommodated by the radrunner? I'm 6'6" and am looking for a utility bike that I could double a passenger on. My only worry is about my height and whether the bike would be at all comfortable for me.

Does anyone have advice regarding rider height that can be accommodated by the radrunner? I'm 6'6" and am looking for a utility bike that I could double a passenger on. My only worry is about my height and whether the bike would be at all comfortable for me.
Height is critical, but leg length is the final decision factor. I'm guessing you are too tall for normal leg extension on a traditional bike. But a Rad Runner is not about leg extension and highly efficient leg motion. Where do you live, must be somebody with a Rad near where you live. Did you ask on their forum?

Why do you think, anyone cares what you think? I’ve read a lot of your posts and you just seem like a bitter old man .🙁

Actually Joe rides alot. Miles and frequency validate opinions more so than the weekend
flatland rides many of us engage in. Just saying.

Have you seen this?
https://www.radpowerbikes.com/pages/sizing

I'm thinking worst case is you might have to get a longer than stock seat post.

I am very worried about spending this much money on something without first at least sitting on it and Rad doesn't seem to have a return policy at all. I have narrowed it down to a radwagon or a radrunner. I am leaning to the radwagon, but the geometry looks a little tight or maybe more forward leaning - I am also 50 and have a bad back so I am looking for an upright bike. The Radwagon, however, has the higher weight limit and I would also like to use it for groceries and carrying my dog. My local bike stores do not have much comparable price wise, and the Rad bike reviews look mostly good - but the guy testing it is always 5'5'' 135lbs so not as good for me...LOL. In Canada we are also limited to 550 watts maximum. I am looking for some advice. Thank you in advance.

If you are still on the market, I think maybe enough people have been griping about the direct drive motored Rad Wagon, where RAD has brought out a new version of the RAD Wagon with a gear driven rear hub drive. Just what we've been looking for....

Back