Look of horror when I mention getting an eBike

My response to anyone who would ask me why I rode an ebike would simply be, "because I have a blast riding it!" I had such a blast riding one for the first time in Paris a few months ago, so much so that my wife has actually encouraged me to start an ebike tour company in my town. And she's VERY frugal!

Interestingly, one of the cycle shops I visited had a decent selection of ebikes and when I was looking at their budget ones, he referred to them as "DUI bikes." While I thought that he intended it as a slight jab, I can think of a lot worse ways to get around if you have no license.

People either get it, or they don't. Most people just have to ride an E-Bike and they get it! : )

The other day I was riding up a long hill on a new bike path in Milwaukie, and passed a commuter. I gave him a "on your left" to let him know I was passing, and at the top a group of younger folks were drooling over my bike. As I was explaining what it was, and handing out business cards, the commuter caught up to us and said "that's not a bike."

I just smiled and waved at him, that day he might have been a bit annoyed by me, but tomorrow, he might actually try an E-Bike seeing how effortlessly I went up the hill.

The Portland area (Oregon City & Milwaukie are more like suburbs of Portland) is an interesting mix, I have met both people who get it, and those who don't, but the vast majority are curious and interested, only a few seem to have a negative attitude, but I have yet to meet one person who actually rode a decent E-Bike that didn't have a grin on their face! :D

Them: "Noooohhhhh. They're heavy and you can't even pedal those."
I don't get it; I really don't.
Just get "it" - ebike, that is :)
What is there to be surprised? People are ignorant on the subject. This couple don't know anything about this. Probably were thinking about an e-scooter. I'm not criticizing a particular lifestyle, this is simply a lack of knowledge. They didn't research and didn't try.

LBS guy had yet more reasons not to know - he needs to motivate himself to work on non-powered bikes all day long, without unnecessary doubts and distractions.

Last edited:
I've had a few "that's cheating" or "you can't get any exercise on an ebike" from folks. Most folks seems to don't recognize my Radrover is an ebike and just focus on the 4" fat tires. I haven't seen another ebike (only about 2-3 fat tire bikes) the on paved, off road trails, or on my bike commute to work in Albuquerque in the last few years. The 4" fat tires are a very good conversation starter and I'm usually asked about the tires or get a positive comment about my bike at least once a day. New Mexico bike riders are split between comfort cruiser, lightweight road bikes, or full/half suspension 26"/29" mountain bikes.

I did use my old GT Transeo 3.0 bike for the 13 miles round trip commute to my job and it took me 60-75 minutes because of hills, wind, and traffic sometimes. The same commute on my ebike takes me 40-45 minutes round trip because the bike evens out hills and lessens the effect of wind. I actually feel safer on my ebike at 20-22 mph on the road compared to 10-12 mph with my old bike. I think I put maybe 1 mile on my old bike and +500 miles on the Radrover in the last 3 months since getting the ebike.

My LBS has been pretty supportive, but 2 of their employees ride them as well. I have had to explain to people that it is more of a car replacement than a recreational vehicle. I think once they think of it in that way, they get "it". But I also live in a small college town.

I hate going to LBS's, everyone seems so pretentious. I've had to take in my street bike a few times and omg it's like pulling teeth to get these guys to talk or crack a smile, and if they do, it mostly feels like they're talking down to me. So what if I'm Arab and I ride a bike, it's not just a white thing. (Jokingly)

;) Please don't feel that this is related to your ethnicity, they treat us ALL like that. LOL (but seriously)

I have sensed the same ignorance with most of my cycling companions. Even though I am riding a non-ebike on club rides, the idea of using an ebike for commutes equates to a cycling ethics violation. It is alwaysseems the case for people who lead the way in any type of innovation...

It's the easing of the suffering that they can't tolerate. Don't we know that it's supposed to hurt? That going slow and grunting it out up that hill is good for the psyche? ;) LOL

I hate going to LBS's, everyone seems so pretentious. I've had to take in my street bike a few times and omg it's like pulling teeth to get these guys to talk or crack a smile, and if they do, it mostly feels like they're talking down to me. So what if I'm Arab and I ride a bike, it's not just a white thing. (Jokingly)

Its probably a money thing. They don't view you as someone that will ever come in and plunk down the scratch for a new and likely overpriced bike.

Back