Locks

You might enjoy this site: http://thebestbikelock.com/

They seem to know what they're talking about. They speak highly of the Abus line of locks, as other posters here have pointed out.

The problem with bike security, of course, is that you can get super-secure chains that are almost impossible to defeat, but they weigh 10+ pounds. The lighter, more portable locks are easier to defeat, but you can carry them with you much more easily.

I work with a guy who rides a Stromer. He keeps one of those heavy Kryptonite chains/locks in the office parking garage and just leaves it there when he goes home. That works for him because he has a predefined commute... not sure what he does when he takes the bike elsewhere.

You might enjoy this site: http://thebestbikelock.com/

They seem to know what they're talking about. They speak highly of the Abus line of locks, as other posters here have pointed out.

The problem with bike security, of course, is that you can get super-secure chains that are almost impossible to defeat, but they weigh 10+ pounds. The lighter, more portable locks are easier to defeat, but you can carry them with you much more easily.

I work with a guy who rides a Stromer. He keeps one of those heavy Kryptonite chains/locks in the office parking garage and just leaves it there when he goes home. That works for him because he has a predefined commute... not sure what he does when he takes the bike elsewhere.
Yes he is lucky he has a spot to keep his lock and chain. Hopefully it's a monitored area as the u lock can be cut with a cordless grinder. I still think an alarmed lock that notifies you when tampered with is the best along with a good u lock.

I just got two RadRover ebike and the wife and I are planing to take trips out of town with the bikes in the southwest. I was really worried about having to leave the bikes on the carrier overnight at a hotel if we can't store them in the our room at night.

I ordered (still waiting for it to arrive) the Boomerang CycloTrac GPS with Verizon cell coverage ($200+$5 per month cell coverage or $250+12 months of cell coverage): http://boomerangbike.com/bicycle-anti-theft-gps-products/

The Boomerang attaches with security bolts between the frame and water bottle cage. It has an 110dB alarm on the unit, tracks in real-time, and notifies your smartphone if someone tampers with the bike when armed. Has the usual apps for tracking location/route, calories, speed, elevation, etc... when not being used as an alarm during normal riding.

I also went with the Xena Intelligent XUL-210, 18mm, U-bolt with built in 110dB alarm ($85) PLUS Xena XC14 14mm 5 foot chain ($90). Planning on using the Boomerang, U-bolt, and chain to secure the ebikes to the carrier if I have to keep them overnight outside. I also have the Xena XSU-18, 18mm, U bar, $50.

Xena XUL-210: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Xena XSU-310: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

I figured most bolt cutters will have a difficult time cutting 14-18mm of harden steel and the U-bolt alarm and Boomerang alarm will give me time to check it out if they use a portable grinder (still would get an alert even if they try and steal the car).

I just got two RadRover ebike and the wife and I are planing to take trips out of town with the bikes in the southwest. I was really worried about having to leave the bikes on the carrier overnight at a hotel if we can't store them in the our room at night.

I ordered (still waiting for it to arrive) the Boomerang CycloTrac GPS with Verizon cell coverage ($200+$5 per month cell coverage or $250+12 months of cell coverage): http://boomerangbike.com/bicycle-anti-theft-gps-products/

The Boomerang attaches with security bolts between the frame and water bottle cage. It has an 110dB alarm on the unit, tracks in real-time, and notifies your smartphone if someone tampers with the bike when armed. Has the usual apps for tracking location/route, calories, speed, elevation, etc... when not being used as an alarm during normal riding.

I also went with the Xena Intelligent XUL-210, 18mm, U-bolt with built in 110dB alarm ($85) PLUS Xena XC14 14mm 5 foot chain ($90). Planning on using the Boomerang, U-bolt, and chain to secure the ebikes to the carrier if I have to keep them overnight outside. I also have the Xena XSU-18, 18mm, U bar, $50.

Xena XUL-210: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Xena XSU-310: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

I figured most bolt cutters will have a difficult time cutting 14-18mm of harden steel and the U-bolt alarm and Boomerang alarm will give me time to check it out if they use a portable grinder (still would get an alert even if they try and steal the car).
Hi there sounds like you got your bike covered well against theft. Is there a video on that boomerang alarm ?

I have used a variety of locks over the years, and I'd run with a really good Kryptonite style U-bolt lock, with a chain like the Mastiff to secure the wheels. Heavy as hell for hauling around with you, but you could always leave the lock and chain on a rack near where you work or go to school (if that is what you are using your bike for). If you do that, keep it high off the ground, so that dogs don't pee on it. Another idea - whenever possible, keep your bike inside your residence. I did that for well over a decade. They add a nice bit of charm to your place, and are a constant reminder to get out there and ride.

I have used a variety of locks over the years, and I'd run with a really good Kryptonite style U-bolt lock, with a chain like the Mastiff to secure the wheels. Heavy as hell for hauling around with you, but you could always leave the lock and chain on a rack near where you work or go to school (if that is what you are using your bike for). If you do that, keep it high off the ground, so that dogs don't pee on it. Another idea - whenever possible, keep your bike inside your residence. I did that for well over a decade. They add a nice bit of charm to your place, and are a constant reminder to get out there and ride.
wonderful how bikes offer inspiration & coziness :)

Back