Load 60 suspension upgrades

Phovdho

Region
New Zealand
Hi

I’m new to this forum. I just ordered a Load 60 which should arrive in February - it’s already on the water and making its way to New Zealand.

As you can imagine I’m very excited about this bike. Initially I was going to go with a Superdelite. But then I got thinking about what I really want to do with the bike, and a big part of that is being able to take Rimbaud, my Border Collie, places with me. The SD would have meant using a trailer. The more reviews I watched of the Load the more I got to thinking this crazy looking machine could be right for me. When I heard my local shop had a Load 60 on order and it was my dream spec (tundra, HS, Rohloff, Nyon) it felt like the universe was talking to me.

Anyways, I was wondering how people find the stock suspension and whether it’s possible to upgrade to air suspension? I’m a novice but compared to the suspension options on some of the other R+M bikes (Eg Fox floating options) it seems to me there might be room for improvement. I have no idea whether it’s desirable or feasible, and if so what’s available.

If it matters, I’m 110 kg. I mostly intend to do urban riding, with some gravel roads and single track thrown in. Primary uses - commuting 20kms, day trips with my dog and urban expeditions with my large format (8x10) camera.

Any insights or experiences greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Best

Murray

You can definitely upgrade the rear shock to air, but it's going to be harder to find an upgrade for the fork as there just aren't a lot of options for 20"

On top of what @JVBulman rightly observes, I’d say definitely ride it stock for a bit before upgrading. I find the rear suspension on my recently received 75 surprisingly well tuned though I’m not riding it on any really rough terrain - and coil setups don’t have the stiction that air shocks do and are thus smoother over small bumps and chatter in my experience, having tried both air and coil shocks in a Kilo linkage fork setup on another one of my bikes.

Thank you both for your replies. I had a look for a higher quality front fork through a search engine but nothing obvious.
M

We are looking at buying a property just out of St Bathans in Central Otago. I’ll have the jug on!

Best of the festive season

M

Hi

I’m new to this forum. I just ordered a Load 60 which should arrive in February - it’s already on the water and making its way to New Zealand.

As you can imagine I’m very excited about this bike. Initially I was going to go with a Superdelite. But then I got thinking about what I really want to do with the bike, and a big part of that is being able to take Rimbaud, my Border Collie, places with me. The SD would have meant using a trailer. The more reviews I watched of the Load the more I got to thinking this crazy looking machine could be right for me. When I heard my local shop had a Load 60 on order and it was my dream spec (tundra, HS, Rohloff, Nyon) it felt like the universe was talking to me.

Anyways, I was wondering how people find the stock suspension and whether it’s possible to upgrade to air suspension? I’m a novice but compared to the suspension options on some of the other R+M bikes (Eg Fox floating options) it seems to me there might be room for improvement. I have no idea whether it’s desirable or feasible, and if so what’s available.

If it matters, I’m 110 kg. I mostly intend to do urban riding, with some gravel roads and single track thrown in. Primary uses - commuting 20kms, day trips with my dog and urban expeditions with my large format (8x10) camera.

Any insights or experiences greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Best

Murray
Hey Murray. Hope you love your new Load 60.

Sorry to butt in on the antipodean love in. 🤣

This pom has a similar 2020 Load 60: tundra, GX, Vario, dual battery. I’m 82kg.

I find the stock suspension perfect. On-road, super smooth, sturdy and assured, the machine just flows. No problem with rubbish surfacing or the odd surprise nasty pothole, I can see why R&M push the safety aspect of their Control Tech. My legs give up way before my backside or wrists and I always just wear regular clothes. I’m never uncomfortable.

Off-road here in the UK means generally awful surfaces (or awesome if you’re a hardcore MTBer) and the Load 60 is even more impressive than on-road. The factory gear ratio on the Vario is too high end for my very undulating terrain (no prob for you with a Rohloff). I switched the sprockets to get a low bottom gear and now it’s just mindblowingly good off road. ( More fun than my 2020 Delite GX Rohloff Fox Air! )

Honestly Murray, if R&M did the Fox option on the Load and I was purchasing now I wouldn’t go Fox. On the Load the only surface that makes me slightly nervous off road is steep rutted downhill or bouldery downhill, simply because the 20” is way out in front and skips out of line easier than a regular bike. Otherwise, I personally enjoy riding the Load on any surface more than any regular bike I’ve had.

Another essential upgrade I did was fit a wireless Magura Vyron dropper post (the longest one with a shim to pack out the wide Load seat tube). Makes the Load so easy to handle on all downhill or tricky narrow twisty stuff and when you come to a stop or take off… essential.

Tintin is a bit more compact than your Rimbaud. He loves/adores both bikes. Probably the Load has the edge though… he’s nearer the wildlife. Need strong straps when those terrier instincts kick in!

Both of you have a fab Feb with your new ride. Mike.

PS. He hates the child cover which is now removed and stored away. The Tarp is more his style. Much prefers the white knuckle bareback wind in your face kinda biking.

E072EA3F-D8D0-469F-A640-C11C2FD266B5.jpeg
BCEAF90D-4B87-4B04-9E76-BE573B7350CD.png

Thanks Mike

Really appreciate your post. Very helpful. I cancelled a SuperDelite for the Load. Both cause I think it’s a better fit and it’s on the water already.

Go Tintin.

Best

M

Hi again Mike

I’m also going to take your advice and get the seat dropper post.

Thanks again.

M
Don’t think you’ll regret it. Pricey but well worth it for the improved handleability. Getting it up to air pressure at installation was a bit fiddly… but that’s just me and suspension pumps. In use it’s a dream and only needs battery charging every now and then, and I use the dropper A LOT.

Back