Light power port for Giant e-bikes

Dynamos are for regular bikes not ebikes, essentially if you have a regular bike which doesn't have its own electrical power source you replace the hub of the front wheel with a dynamo hub which generates AC current while the wheel is moving, similar to a car alternator, this way you can have lights in a normal bike without requiring batteries, and this is also the reason why dynamo lights tend to have capacitors/batteries since without them the lights in a normal bike would go out while not moving, ofc this is pretty much useless on an ebike since at least in the case of my giant fathom after the battery runs out of power to drive the motor, it still keeps some reserves which can be used to power the lights and activate walk mode, in fact it might not even be preferred because when you turn the lights off in the button the lights are still working off the capacitor/battery of the light.

The reason why I mentioned dynamo lights is because most lights out there that connect to a power source are going to be dynamo lights since there are a lot more normal bikes than there are ebikes, so it is something to be aware of when buying lights.

As for the light you linked, be aware that if the light is for road there is a lot more to it than simple light output, the pattern of the light beam is also important, since you want a light where the pattern fits nicely within the lane and doesn't spill over into incoming cars, while at the same time having a good range, that being said yes the 9w is going to be more than sufficient, just not for the super high end stuff like the supernova M99 Pro and the likes.

My lights only consume 1.2w (both of them together) and the front light is pretty ok, it wouldn't be what I would use if I was driving at night every day, but I have driven at night with it and it was acceptable and good enough to where I wasn't having issues seeing things on the road.

Hi!

I just discovered this awesome thread and I would like to add a bike to my Giant Fathom E+2 PRO.

I really like the Lezyne Macro Drive 1000 light, but it says it needs 9.75W (Giant says 9W max).

Lezyne says that they have tested with 6V 1.5A bikes and it did not work :( but no mention to Giant motors.

Will it work? Will I break something if I try it? Thanks!!!

Hi!

I just discovered this awesome thread and I would like to add a bike to my Giant Fathom E+2 PRO.

I really like the Lezyne Macro Drive 1000 light, but it says it needs 9.75W (Giant says 9W max).

Lezyne says that they have tested with 6V 1.5A bikes and it did not work :( but no mention to Giant motors.

Will it work? Will I break something if I try it? Thanks!!!
I am having this unit installed next week on my 2020 Fathom.

I would like to have installed a USB port so that I can connect my phone. I try to head out on my rides with a full iPhone charge but got caught short today. I read elsewhere that the Yamaha does not have a port available for a USB. Can anyone confirm this?

Hi,

I installed the Lezyne without a problem on my 2019 fathom. Very good and enjoyable light (a little bit yellow maybe). I documented a little the process here:

I can confirm that NO USB port is available on the yamaha motor. You would need to install an adapter from 6v to 5v and a usb port manually.

Hi,

I installed the Lezyne without a problem on my 2019 fathom. Very good and enjoyable light (a little bit yellow maybe). I documented a little the process here:

I can confirm that NO USB port is available on the yamaha motor. You would need to install an adapter from 6v to 5v and a usb port manually.
Thanks Kuri. I will get a battery "brick" as a secondary battery for my phone.

Back