Level brake pads - There may be an issue here - *UPDATE*

Brockrock

Region
USA
Because I live and ride in a moderate to very hilly area, I recently reached out to Aventon in order to see if they knew of a source for the brake pads for the Bengal Ares 3 braking system. They stated that they do not have them in stock at this time, and further informed me that the pads are fairly common and should be available at most bike shops. Since then, I have done a lot of research into these pads - and aftermarket options - and I cannot find a source for these pads anywhere on Earth. I even called numerous of the Elite Dealer's listed on the Aventon website, the last of which actually took one of the Level brakes apart in order to look at the pads, and he has never seen any other pads like them, and his distributor is not able to provide them. Even the pads shown on the actual Bengal website for the Ares 3 are not the right pads. The stock pads have a steel separator spring that also has a small tab that goes through the pad to serve as a wear indicator, and the pads on their website do not have the cutout for the spring, or the spring itself. I have since emailed Bengal directly for some clarification on this and a possible source for the stock pads, and if/when I hear back, I will post an update.

The Elite Dealer who was good enough to go the extra mile and actually look at a set of pads voiced some concern, as he stated he has sold a lot of these bikes, and it will not be long before they start coming in for maintenance - including brake pad replacement. Absent a source for the proper and correct pads, the only other option would be to replace the braking system with a more well known brand like Shimano or the like.... I am not very happy about that possible prospect, but since I am otherwise very happy with this bike, I would have to bite the bullet - so to speak.

There is also the possibility that this is simply a supply chain issue at this time, and in a month or so, the pads will be readily available, but I am not holding breath since all other pads are available, and even Aventon Dealers know nothing about these pads.

If anyone has any credible information related to these brake pads, this would be appreciated. I would also encourage Level owners to reach out to Aventon via the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom of their webpage. The more questions they get from customers about a source for these pads, the more likely it is one will be provided, and eventually, everyone's pads will need to be replaced.

Lastly, this post is in no way meant to dissuade anyone from buying one of these bikes. They are pretty awesome in so many ways, and I am sure Aventon will do all they can to come up with a solution. I just want folks to be aware. Brakes are a big safety item on these heavier bikes and definitely a topic worthy of discussion.

I could be wrong as I'm just googling this, no photos to go on!...But I wouldn't worry too much if the difference is only a wear indicator. If they're the same size and shape, give them a try. It might work fine.

It's not only a wear indicator but also what holds the pads against the housings and actuator. I am also not sure if the pad shown is the proper size either. There is no way to tell from the pic.

And, there is no way for a consumer to buy directly from Bengal anyway. They sell to dealers. That is just info they provide on their website.

Since posting this thread, and out of fairness to Aventon, I wanted to update by saying that they now have these brake pads listed on their web store. Last I saw, they offered a metallic version and an organic version, and the organic pads were not available. I have ordered several sets of the metallic pads to have on hand, and they shipped today.

Funny enough, when I first noticed the listing on their web store two days ago, the price was listed as $0.00. I ordered four sets which shipped for free yesterday morning, but I also sent them an email after ordering, questioning if this price was correct. In the end, it did seem to have been an oversight on their part when posting the listing, and after hearing back from a rep, that order was cancelled. Once the listing was corrected yesterday, I reordered, and those are the ones that shipped today.

For me, following up with this question just seemed like the right thing to do. A simple error on their part is just that, and since I am so happy with my Level so far, I much prefer supporting them going forward versus taking advantage of a mistake. Ride Safe All!

Since posting this thread, and out of fairness to Aventon, I wanted to update by saying that they now have these brake pads listed on their web store. Last I saw, they offered a metallic version and an organic version, and the organic pads were not available. I have ordered several sets of the metallic pads to have on hand, and they shipped today.

Funny enough, when I first noticed the listing on their web store two days ago, the price was listed as $0.00. I ordered four sets which shipped for free yesterday morning, but I also sent them an email after ordering, questioning if this price was correct. In the end, it did seem to have been an oversight on their part when posting the listing, and after hearing back from a rep, that order was cancelled. Once the listing was corrected yesterday, I reordered, and those are the ones that shipped today.

For me, following up with this question just seemed like the right thing to do. A simple error on their part is just that, and since I am so happy with my Level so far, I much prefer supporting them going forward versus taking advantage of a mistake. Ride Safe All!
Hi Brockrock,
I just went to order these pads today after being notified by Aventon that they were back in stock, but they are now out of stock, again ... LoL!!

is there a part number on the packaging that you can share that, or anything that would make it easier for us to order the correct replacement pads from anywhere else beside Aventon? I’m kind of blown away it’s this difficult to find the right pads, seeing how these brakes are popular and were not developed for the Level only...

Hi Brockrock,
I just went to order these pads today after being notified by Aventon that they were back in stock, but they are now out of stock, again ... LoL!!

is there a part number on the packaging that you can share that, or anything that would make it easier for us to order the correct replacement pads from anywhere else beside Aventon? I’m kind of blown away it’s this difficult to find the right pads, seeing how these brakes are popular and were not developed for the Level only...
The only thing the package says is Bengal PH02 brake pads. Here is a link to another source for these pads that I found: https://perfectbrakes.com/mountain-bike/bengal/ares-3/HYDRAULIC/4000063 I know nothing about this company, and since the item picture is just generic, I don't know if these are in fact the right pads. Either way, I plan to swap out the Ares 3 brakes for a pair of Shimano.

Did you swap out your brake system, and is it difficult?
I have not swapped them yet. I have actually found the Ares 3 brakes to be fairly capable and a true two finger system. I have also found them to be a bit gravely and grindy - especially when hot - but I have no issues with their stopping power. The noise is no doubt related to the pad quality or material, and when their supply chain rebounds, I'll try another pad replacement to see if that helps. It would not be a difficult job however to swap them out for another brand. You would just want to have access to the proper tools.

I have not swapped them yet. I have actually found the Ares 3 brakes to be fairly capable and a true two finger system. I have also found them to be a bit gravely and grindy - especially when hot - but I have no issues with their stopping power. The noise is no doubt related to the pad quality or material, and when their supply chain rebounds, I'll try another pad replacement to see if that helps. It would not be a difficult job however to swap them out for another brand. You would just want to have access to the proper tools.
Thanks, I can’t get pads from Aventon so for now I am out of luck and not very happ.

Thanks, I can’t get pads from Aventon so for now I am out of luck and not very happ.
Dave, I understand. We seem to live in a time where something as simple as an unavailable brake pad can ground an otherwise serviceable bike. Who woulda thunk it! In post 7 above I added a link that I found that may be a possible source for Ares 3 pads. I would call them first and verify they have them available. They seem to be a third party company that makes these pads to OEM spec. I just wish there was a picture to show the pad and spring clip to know they are the right ones.

Dave, I understand. We seem to live in a time where something as simple as an unavailable brake pad can ground an otherwise serviceable bike. Who woulda thunk it! In post 7 above I added a link that I found that may be a possible source for Ares 3 pads. I would call them first and verify they have them available. They seem to be a third party company that makes these pads to OEM spec. I just wish there was a picture to show the pad and spring clip to know they are the right ones.
Hey, I just found this post because I am trying to source some pads for my Aventon Aventure. Did the pads you purchased from Aventon have the spring clip and groove in the pads? I've been seeing a few brake pads from Hayes that have a similar shape, but they don't have springs as they rely on magnetic calipers.

Here's a link:

Hey, I just found this post because I am trying to source some pads for my Aventon Aventure. Did the pads you purchased from Aventon have the spring clip and groove in the pads? I've been seeing a few brake pads from Hayes that have a similar shape, but they don't have springs as they rely on magnetic calipers.

Here's a link:
Greetings! The OEM pads I received from Aventon were the proper ones with the springs and groovings. They came available very briefly for the Level awhile ago, and I was able to purchase some extra sets. I also am aware that the Aventure uses the same braking system.

The Ares 3 brake calipers are not magnetic, so those pads would flop around and not wear evenly - assuming the size is even correct. I think the best bet is the link that I posted above in post #7, because it was the only possible source that I discovered after hours of searching online...

Greetings! The OEM pads I received from Aventon were the proper ones with the springs and groovings. They came available very briefly for the Level awhile ago, and I was able to purchase some extra sets. I also am aware that the Aventure uses the same braking system.

The Ares 3 brake calipers are not magnetic, so those pads would flop around and not wear evenly - assuming the size is even correct. I think the best bet is the link that I posted above in post #7, because it was the only possible source that I discovered after hours of searching online...
Alright, thanks! I guess I'll reach out to Aventon and see what they say, or if I have to, order from the link above.

I appreciate it!

Alright, thanks! I guess I'll reach out to Aventon and see what they say, or if I have to, order from the link above.

I appreciate it!
I will also add that the OEM pads seem to last a fair number of miles - that in my case - have involved some very hilly rides. I am surrounded on all sides by hills, and I now have 700 miles on my Level with very little wear on the pads. If you are only interested in having a new set of pads available for your Aventure, I would say ride and enjoy it, and give the supply chain a bit of time to rebound. If you need them in order to ride, then the link above is a possible source.

Brake pads for Aventon Level (or Aventure) with Bengal Ares 3 hydraulic disc brakes that use springs
Like many who own either an Aventon Level (or an Aventure) with Bengal Ares 3 hydraulic disc brakes that use springs to hold the pads in place and away from the rotors, I searched in vain for months to find the exact pads needed to replace the originals that came on my Level. The model number of these pads is actually PH02SA03 (click on the "BENGAL" pads tab to see pad model numbers) not "PH02" which is often referenced in this forum and others. The one thing that is correct about the PH02 pads is they have the same shape and overall footprint as the PH02SA03 pads. However, even if you can find the PH02 pads, they may lack the all important groove, center hole in their backing plate and the spring required by those of us who have the Bengal Ares 3 hydraulic brake calipers with non-magnetic pistons. The following is what I did to resolve this problem. Photos have been attached to help clarify the process.

1. Since I wasn't sure this would work, I decided to buy one pair of Gekors Semi-Metallic Bicycle Disc Brake Pads for Hayes MX-2/MX3/MX4 pads (Gekors Hayes Sole MX2 compatible semi-metallic pads) which are of the correct shape and size. Note that while these pads do not have the center groove, hole and spring, their overall footprint (20.8*27.4*4mm) is the same as that of the original Bengal pads on my Level even though the amount of pad material itself is slightly larger than that of the Bengal PH02SA03 pads. A perfect match in the overall footprint of the pads is what is critically important for a good fit in the caliper on top of the pistons.

2. I decided to use a rotary tool with its simple router attachment and a flat-tipped diamond deburring bit matched in size to the width of the groove in the original Bengal pads. You can pick up a set of these bits on Amazon for under $5 (set of diamond grit deburring bits for rotary tool). The photo below shows the rotary tool with the router attachment and the diamond deburring bit. (NOTE: this photo was taken after I had cut the groove in the new pad). I used a portable vice to hold the pad, ensuring the top of it was flush with the tops of the vice's jaws which I would pull the router over to cut the groove. With the rotary tool's router attachment resting level on the tops of the vice's jaws, I set the cutting depth of the bit so it just touched the surface of the backing plate of the new pad. A black, fine point Sharpie was used to mark a line on the new pads for the groove cut. It's very helpful if you can get someone to shine a bright light on the pad as you cut the groove and occasionally blow off the excess, fine dust it will produce. I suggest wearing a mask (which we all probably have plenty of) and some safety glasses. I used a speed setting for the rotary tool of about 50-60% and easily cut a pretty smooth, straight groove all the way through the new pad in about 30-45 seconds.

A rotary tool with a router attachment and a diamond burring bit were used to cut the groove i...jpg

3. Next, I used a 3/32" drill bit (for metal) to drill the hole near the center of the backing plate (about midway through the newly cut groove) which the tip of the spring seats into. This took about 30 seconds. NOTE: You might need/want to debur the edges of the hole you drill for the spring's anchoring tips on the back side of the plate since it will be placed next to the tops of the pistons in the brake caliper.

A metal drill bit the size of the tip of the spring was used to drill the hole for the spring ...jpg

4. The next/final photo shows the end results with the old Bengal pads (with 4626 mi. wear) on the left and the new, modified pads on the right. NOTE: I used the springs from the original Bengal PH02SA03 pads that came installed on my Aventon Level. If your original springs are missing or damaged, I'm not certain of this, but it looks like the springs that come with the very affordable and easily found AVID BB5 pads might suffice.

Aventon Level old pads left and new modified pads right.jpg

That's it! The whole process, including securing the new pads for modification in the vice, cutting the grooves and drilling the spring tip anchor holes in the new pads probably took me 30 min. Of course, getting all the stuff out that I used, cleaning up the dust, and putting everything back took me at least an hour. Now, you may be thinking......"YAH, BUT DO THEY WORK?" YOU BET THEY DO!!!...SMOOTH, QUIET and REASSURING STOPS!

I own an Aventon level e bike with 3315 miles. I can not find replacement pads. I searched aventon ,amazon ,Alibaba, Bike shops and even the distributor. No Luck. I brought my bike into a local bike shop and he used Hayes sole mx2 pads. They were the same size but needed to be modified. They had to put a notch in the pads and drill a hole to accept a spacer spring. The pads work great. The sad part of this is that aventon customer service was of no help. Keep riding sbfca

I own an Aventon level e bike with 3315 miles. I can not find replacement pads. I searched aventon ,amazon ,Alibaba, Bike shops and even the distributor. No Luck. I brought my bike into a local bike shop and he used Hayes sole mx2 pads. They were the same size but needed to be modified. They had to put a notch in the pads and drill a hole to accept a spacer spring. The pads work great. The sad part of this is that aventon customer service was of no help. Keep riding sbfca
Hi Sbfca:

It looks like there are others out there who had this same idea. Thanks for sharing your feedback confirming that at least some bike shops are doing this so we can keep riding. It's such a relief to know I can now make myself new pads whenever I need them and probably for a lot less than I'd have to pay if I could even get them through Aventon or a bike shop.

I’m in the same boat. I live on an island in southeast alaska. Just turned 1200 miles on my bike. I’m pretty good on the internet and days of searching finally came across this post. I love the Aventure bike, sold 5 to my friends here by word of mouth (your welcome Aventon) but no reply when I write them. Not sure who is answering the emails there. But very frustrated. I found a part# PH 02SA03 on the Bengal site bit no answer from them either.

I’ve contacted several bike stores NOBODY recognizes this type of brake pad. They all told me it’s crap parts. They worked great for me like the gentleman said 2 finger stop. But this is gone to far. I need brakes. Any update from anyone? Thanks for the original post.
keith

Brake pads for Aventon Level (or Aventure) with Bengal Ares 3 hydraulic disc brakes that use springs
Like many who own either an Aventon Level (or an Aventure) with Bengal Ares 3 hydraulic disc brakes that use springs to hold the pads in place and away from the rotors, I searched in vain for months to find the exact pads needed to replace the originals that came on my Level. The model number of these pads is actually PH02SA03 (click on the "BENGAL" pads tab to see pad model numbers) not "PH02" which is often referenced in this forum and others. The one thing that is correct about the PH02 pads is they have the same shape and overall footprint as the PH02SA03 pads. However, even if you can find the PH02 pads, they may lack the all important groove, center hole in their backing plate and the spring required by those of us who have the Bengal Ares 3 hydraulic brake calipers with non-magnetic pistons. The following is what I did to resolve this problem. Photos have been attached to help clarify the process.

1. Since I wasn't sure this would work, I decided to buy one pair of Gekors Semi-Metallic Bicycle Disc Brake Pads for Hayes MX-2/MX3/MX4 pads (Gekors Hayes Sole MX2 compatible semi-metallic pads) which are of the correct shape and size. Note that while these pads do not have the center groove, hole and spring, their overall footprint (20.8*27.4*4mm) is the same as that of the original Bengal pads on my Level even though the amount of pad material itself is slightly larger than that of the Bengal PH02SA03 pads. A perfect match in the overall footprint of the pads is what is critically important for a good fit in the caliper on top of the pistons.

2. I decided to use a rotary tool with its simple router attachment and a flat-tipped diamond deburring bit matched in size to the width of the groove in the original Bengal pads. You can pick up a set of these bits on Amazon for under $5 (set of diamond grit deburring bits for rotary tool). The photo below shows the rotary tool with the router attachment and the diamond deburring bit. (NOTE: this photo was taken after I had cut the groove in the new pad). I used a portable vice to hold the pad, ensuring the top of it was flush with the tops of the vice's jaws which I would pull the router over to cut the groove. With the rotary tool's router attachment resting level on the tops of the vice's jaws, I set the cutting depth of the bit so it just touched the surface of the backing plate of the new pad. A black, fine point Sharpie was used to mark a line on the new pads for the groove cut. It's very helpful if you can get someone to shine a bright light on the pad as you cut the groove and occasionally blow off the excess, fine dust it will produce. I suggest wearing a mask (which we all probably have plenty of) and some safety glasses. I used a speed setting for the rotary tool of about 50-60% and easily cut a pretty smooth, straight groove all the way through the new pad in about 30-45 seconds.

View attachment 113399

3. Next, I used a 3/32" drill bit (for metal) to drill the hole near the center of the backing plate (about midway through the newly cut groove) which the tip of the spring seats into. This took about 30 seconds. NOTE: You might need/want to debur the edges of the hole you drill for the spring's anchoring tips on the back side of the plate since it will be placed next to the tops of the pistons in the brake caliper.

View attachment 113400

4. The next/final photo shows the end results with the old Bengal pads (with 4626 mi. wear) on the left and the new, modified pads on the right. NOTE: I used the springs from the original Bengal PH02SA03 pads that came installed on my Aventon Level. If your original springs are missing or damaged, I'm not certain of this, but it looks like the springs that come with the very affordable and easily found AVID BB5 pads might suffice.

View attachment 113401

That's it! The whole process, including securing the new pads for modification in the vice, cutting the grooves and drilling the spring tip anchor holes in the new pads probably took me 30 min. Of course, getting all the stuff out that I used, cleaning up the dust, and putting everything back took me at least an hour. Now, you may be thinking......"YAH, BUT DO THEY WORK?" YOU BET THEY DO!!!...SMOOTH, QUIET and REASSURING STOPS!
Looks like you can have a side business selling us pads 😀

Back