Leon Cycle Canada 16ah Battery for Moscow Plus

I use this one on mine:

$30cdn and seems super solid so far even though I exceed it's weight limit suggestion with my bike. I've not totally loaded it down to see how it handles panniers but high mounted boxes of groceries that are heavy are no problem at all. If you carry cargo or extra batteries on your bike I feel a centre mounted stand is almost a requirement.

LeonCycle.ca and LeonCycle.com both are not listing batteries right now. All listings seem gone. Hope it comes back soon, my son is considering ordering a battery too.

Wow surprising! But in a good way.
I ordered the Leon Cycle battery but I'd still love to hear a report back on how the new battery pack performs and what opening the old pack reveals.
Panasonic cells.

There's also a fancy daughterboard of some kind in it too, which has been revised between 2020 and 2021.

Between my son and I we have 3 batteries now. They ALL behave differently in terms of their operation. I am trying to sort out all the differences but while they all work great and have great capacity. The battery gauge and on/off along with the state of the USB port varies in all three and sometimes even varies on the same battery depending on what you last did with the battery. Very odd, nothing concerning, just an interesting puzzle as to why it isn't all the same.

I had some contact with a rep from a battery supplier in Shanghai who make/sell batteries in the Reention Dorado case. The thing I found interesting was that they can use the larger 21700 format brand name cells and get 25Ah in a pack. Here's the link to their Alibaba site with more info.
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Reention-Dorado-21700-48V-25AH-high_1600243698283.html?spm=a2747.manage.0.0.74eb71d2E2EgjO.
I also have a copy of the latest price list. I won't post it here, but if anyone is interested, drop me a line. I can say that the 48V 25Ah pack goes for about $650US, shipping and taxes included.
(I should also add that I have no vested interest in this company. They just seemed professional in their communication)

There is no chance in hell I will deal directly with a Chinese seller.

I enjoy paying NCM/Leoncycle generously for middleware support. When something goes wrong, they do take care of it.

The Chinese seller may or may not work out, assuming they actually ship something to you at all. Not sorry, I will bash Chinese sellers here, as you have attempted to drive business to them in the NCM forum.

You realize your entire bike and pretty much every part on it was manufactured in China right?

I have no issue ordering from China but battery packs are a tough one because of the concern about what cells you are getting. But in the case of the battery Fred is talking about I am ordering one myself and have posted in another section I'd do a full review when it arrives. I have confidence in the seller through excellent email discussions with them and they are taking pictures during the assembly of my battery to show the cells inside.

I am honestly pretty excited to be getting it and it looks like the price is going to be good too.

Like Fred, I have no stake in the company I just want cheap/good/large batteries.

You realize your entire bike and pretty much every part on it was manufactured in China right?
That's obvious.

Re-read what I wrote, you will clearly see how I support a distribution channel on a proper supply chain.

That's obvious.

Re-read what I wrote, you will clearly see how I support a distribution channel on a proper supply chain.

No I get it, you prefer another company do the leg work and take the risk and are willing to pay a premium for that service and provide a warranty too, I get that and understand. I am honestly similar about large purchases from un-known vendors regardless of country.

I just don't want people to feel that ordering from NCM and ordering from an Alibaba vendor like Aijiu Power that it means one product is Chinese crap and the other German quality. If both vendors are trustable you will get equal products through either channel. You will for sure have a warranty from Leon Cycle that is easier to have honored than through a Chinese vendor but both products should be good.

Even from NCM though I am pretty sure they are using multiple vendors to source their battery packs or at least have used different BMS systems in their battery packs as I can demonstrate different behaviors of the BMS on all three of the NCM batteries I have. No two behave identically even though some of the batteries were ordered within 60 days of each other from Leon Cycle.

Last edited:
There is no chance in hell I will deal directly with a Chinese seller.

I enjoy paying NCM/Leoncycle generously for middleware support. When something goes wrong, they do take care of it.

The Chinese seller may or may not work out, assuming they actually ship something to you at all. Not sorry, I will bash Chinese sellers here, as you have attempted to drive business to them in the NCM forum.
Perhaps the best way to summarize is "to each his own". I don't see a problem in providing info about options. Most buyers have the smarts to take all factors, including the very valid ones mentioned above, into consideration before making a purchase.

The funniest thing about Chinese sellers on "wish", is that you wish your stuff showed up, LOL

I am the sales rep from Shanghai Aijiu Energy Tech. Thank you Fred for your trust and recommendation. Thank you Garth for starting sample order with us.
Here I make a statement again. Each of our battery is trackable with lot number and comes with one-year warranty and technical support service for whole lifetime.
We will resend a totally new battery with shipping cost on us if the battery fails to work due to quality issue within warranty.

Most buyers have the smarts to take all factors, including the very valid ones mentioned above, into consideration before making a purchase.
Not really.

The majority of "buyers" still look only at price, then make the mistake by assuming their purchase will be all rainbows and unicorns and perfect.

Can it work out? Yes. Maybe. So is winning russian roulette.

But what will a buyer do when they get screwed?

Back