Leon Cycle Canada 16ah Battery for Moscow Plus

Bitmugger

Region
Canada
I've been looking at an extra battery, 1st plan was a used 36v battery but I passed on it. I've looked at eBay and Aliexpress for batteries but distrust the suppliers. Places like ebikes.ca are $995 for a 48v 16.5ah and epiccycles.ca want $750 for a 48v 13ah. GreenBikeKit.com has a 48v 16ah for $422 but with shipping it jumps to $537 shipped by DHL which guarantees another $40+ in fees. Everywhere I look the shipping is either the killer or the base price is very high.

Leon Cycle Canada sells the 48v 16ah battery that fits my moscow plus for $519 cdn + tax and free shipping. That seems like a way better price than any other place with a name I can trust and it just fits the bike with no alterations needed.

Is this the best price for a 48v 16ah battery? I am not worried about the battery case or connector or style as I can adapt the battery connector to my needs. If anyone knows another good reputable source for cheaper batteries that' a good source in Canada please pass it along. Right now regardless of the ebike I owned the Leon Cycle battery seems like the best value for a 48v battery? The 13ah smaller battery Leon Cycle sells is even a better deal but I want the larger capacity for more range.

I'd prefer a 16ah or larger but if the prices were right I'd settle for 2 x 10ah or 2 x 13ah

Last edited:
I've found Leon to be pretty inexpensive for batteries. Some of their packs use DLG cells though. I thought the Dorado battery packs used Panasonic though, but I'm not 100% sure.

It's not a huge difference from ebikes.ca if the $995 is cdn, but I've had my eye on this for whenever I get my Amazon credit card points close to high enough haha...

FTH seems to have a decent reputation and I am 90% sure that is the correct case, but I haven't confirmed since I'm not too close to buying it yet.

I bot a 13ah 2nd bat from leon a yr. back for $400. I recently checked their site; 16ah are going for $400 US.
I think that´s a pretty good deal. Iḿ very satisfied with the two I have. Considered a 16ah, but I really don´t
need one.
P.S. Just checked Leon site a moment ago, 13ah $299, 16ah $399, 18ah $449. (US)

Last edited:
I bot a 13ah 2nd bat from leon a yr. back for $400. I recently checked their site; 16ah are going for $400 US.
I think that´s a pretty good deal. Iḿ very satisfied with the two I have. Considered a 16ah, but I really don´t
need one.
P.S. Just checked Leon site a moment ago, 13ah $299, 16ah $399, 18ah $449.

I asked them about the 18ah but they said they aren't offering it anymore :-(
I'd order that one if so, would be around $600 Canadian given their conversion rates.

Probably the 13ah would do all I need, but I am getting 60-70km from the 16ah now on PAS 4 and I feel like 120km would be around my max in a day (approx 5+ hrs biking on PAS 4). I am also 250lbs and will have a change of clothes on me plus the extra battery. I'd like to basically do some extended day trips and overnight trips and my son and I do some bike camping in the summer.

Not sure you read my post? I did check out Aliexpress but didn't trust the suppliers (unless someone can give me a recommendation).
Also those batteries in the supplier you linked are more expensive than Leon Cycle would be. They are a better value (slightly) than the 16ah battery Leon Cycle sells ($/ah) but I'd pass on ordering from them for 3 reasons:
1) Savings isn't very big (I'd spend ~$670 for a 21ah vs $597 for 16ah)
2) If the supplier ships via FedEx or DHL I'll almost certainly get hit with duty and maybe a HST tax charge which would add $50 to $250 cdn with no recourse but to pay it or lose money
3) I don't have any faith the cells are really going to be 3500mah and have longevity

😲 wow.. sorry to hear that!
That's good to know, if you don't mind, could you share what happened?
So I'm assuming it didn't work at all?
When plugging charger in there was a large spark, battery cuts out after using for a couple of minutes.
Have spent many hours sending chat messages, emails etc.
E-mailed Ali Express director and Alibaba who own Ali Express, no reply.
Have sent them all the information they have asked for, still no refund.
If they ask you to send the battery back to them it will cost you at least £150 to ship a Lithium Battery from the UK.They don't pay return cost.{ read seller return policy first}.
Both Ali Express and the seller are very slow responding to my messages.
The language barrier can also be a problem when trying to explain certain things.
What seemed like a good deal has rapidly gone the other way.
My advice would be buy with caution and always use a credit card on expensive purchases.

When plugging charger in there was a large spark, battery cuts out after using for a couple of minutes.
Have spent many hours sending chat messages, emails etc.
E-mailed Ali Express director and Alibaba who own Ali Express, no reply.
Have sent them all the information they have asked for, still no refund.
If they ask you to send the battery back to them it will cost you at least £150 to ship a Lithium Battery from the UK.They don't pay return cost.{ read seller return policy first}.
Both Ali Express and the seller are very slow responding to my messages.
The language barrier can also be a problem when trying to explain certain things.
My advice would be buy with caution and always use a credit card on expensive purchases.
I´ve long been leary of Ali B., a lot of their deals seem to good to be true. So far LeoncycleUS has never
disappointed me. good batteries at a good price. I cannot speak for other franchises.

That absolutely sucks and is what I fear most. I order from Aliexpress/ebay often but for both those places I assume returns or refunds for defective products is a no-go, so it shapes what I'm willing to order from them. A $5 bike light, heck yes! A $500 battery, hell no! Thanks so much for sharing your unhappy story, I hope it resolves but even so the process itself must be frustrating and worrisome.

I´ve long been leary of Ali B., a lot of their deals seem to good to be true. So far LeoncycleUS has never
disappointed me. good batteries at a good price. I cannot speak for other franchises.
The batteries here in the UK are a lot more expensive from Leon Cycles than in the USA.

That absolutely sucks and is what I fear most. I order from Aliexpress/ebay often but for both those places I assume returns or refunds for defective products is a no-go, so it shapes what I'm willing to order from them. A $5 bike light, heck yes! A $500 battery, hell no! Thanks so much for sharing your unhappy story, I hope it resolves but even so the process itself must be frustrating and worrisome.
Sill trying,i'll let you know.

The batteries here in the UK are a lot more expensive from Leon Cycles than in the USA.

Ahhh that sucks. I used to live in England in 2015 and remember the cheap bike parts at Decathlon stores (vs Canada), but figures batteries are not the same. When I was back in Canada and needed tires I literally had a buddy bring me 2 tires from a Decathlon that were by Vittoria and $90cdn here at a local bike store vs a 2-pack for £22 in the UK

Sill trying,i'll let you know.
Pleased and surprised. After spending more than 3 months sending messages and emails to Ali Express and the seller, a brand new battery and charger arrived today.
They had not informed me that they were going to send one, up until yesterday i was still sending messages to them.
So far they have not asked for the original one back.
I will have a look inside, i'm hoping it;s just a poor/loose BMS contact as the voltage is good at 54v.

Pleased and surprised. After spending more than 3 months sending messages and emails to Ali Express and the seller, a brand new battery and charger arrived today.
They had not informed me that they were going to send one, up until yesterday i was still sending messages to them.
So far they have not asked for the original one back.
I will have a look inside, i'm hoping it;s just a poor/loose BMS contact as the voltage is good at 54v.

Wow surprising! But in a good way.
I ordered the Leon Cycle battery but I'd still love to hear a report back on how the new battery pack performs and what opening the old pack reveals.

@RJC I saw your post about the battery in another thread too. Did that battery come in a Dorado Max case? I'm trying to see if the Dorado Max fits in the Moscow without any modifications. I was thinking of buying the 20.4ah battery from FTH but it's in a Dorado Max case, it seems.

@RJC I saw your post about the battery in another thread too. Did that battery come in a Dorado Max case? I'm trying to see if the Dorado Max fits in the Moscow without any modifications. I was thinking of buying the 20.4ah battery from FTH but it's in a Dorado Max case, it seems.
The battery fits straight into the original bike fixings. It's the same length, just a little bit wider and taller. Came with a new lock/keys and bracket. I just used the original lock and kept the new one as a spare.

If you get it, let me know your impressions. I have 2 13ah; I can get more mileage from just one than I
usually every need. I´m curious what a 20.4 could do. Is it worth the extra weight?

If you get it, let me know your impressions. I have 2 13ah; I can get more mileage from just one than I
usually every need. I´m curious what a 20.4 could do. Is it worth the extra weight?

Hi John, Do you have a 3D printer by any chance? Reason I ask is I am designing a mount for my Moscow+ forks that'll let you ride with a spare battery on each fork. Just wondered if it would be of use for you?
My idea is I'm mounting both my 16ah batteries on the forks for long distance trips and connecting them to the bike via a 1m power cable that has the proper matching connectors for the batteries/bike. I wanted to have the weight up front while I have panniers on the back. Day trips I'll just put the battery on the bike as normal and the spare on my back rack but for packed trips I thought moving the weight forward would be better.

I'll likely put it all on Thingiverse and post links on this forum

Hi John, Do you have a 3D printer by any chance? Reason I ask is I am designing a mount for my Moscow+ forks that'll let you ride with a spare battery on each fork. Just wondered if it would be of use for you?
My idea is I'm mounting both my 16ah batteries on the forks for long distance trips and connecting them to the bike via a 1m power cable that has the proper matching connectors for the batteries/bike. I wanted to have the weight up front while I have panniers on the back. Day trips I'll just put the battery on the bike as normal and the spare on my back rack but for packed trips I thought moving the weight forward would be better.

I'll likely put it all on Thingiverse and post links on this forum
No 3D printer, I don´t write long hand either.🤓 Fork mounts might be a bit awkward if you ever had to
lay the bike down. I understand wanting weight forward. My setup has survived a cpl. involuntary crashes
dodging cars. Seems like large front panniers might serve. I have also stitched a padded leather sleeve to
hold a battery & charger that fits in my inframe pannier above the down tube. It could also be
packed into large front panniers on both sides. Clothing in both panniers would add even more padding.
As far as printing goes, my technology is limited to blacksmithing & wood butchery, but I manage to get
by improvising with whatever´s handy. The down side of a lot of weight forward can make steering
unwieldy.

Last edited:
No 3D printer, I don´t write long hand either.🤓 Fork mounts might be a bit awkward if you ever had to
lay the bike down. I understand wanting weight forward. My setup has survived a cpl. involuntary crashes
dodging cars. Seems like large front panniers might serve. I have also stitched a padded leather sleeve to
hold a battery & charger that fits in my inframe pannier above the down tube. It could also be
packed into large front panniers on both sides. Clothing in both panniers would add even more padding.
As far as printing goes, my technology is limited to blacksmithing & wood butchery, but I manage to get
by improvising with whatever´s handy. The down side of a lot of weight forward can make steering
unwieldy.

Regarding laying the bike down, I hope to never have to of course. I use a center mounted double kick stand like you do and love it. I agree about it making steering unwieldy, I am familiar with that from packing weight on to the front of my old bike. But I'll need/want that weight up there for camping trips when it can be a bit off-road and a back heavy bike wheelies too easy. My day to day riding without panniers will still have me put the spare battery on the back I think. If I get something working I'll post some pics.

Back