"Lectric XP Step" - New ebike announcement

Looks like Lectric might be announcing something called the Lectric XP Step, 6/24 @ 10am, going by their Instagram account.

Looks like a step thru model...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200623-162905.png
    Screenshot_20200623-162905.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 648
I hope it's at the same or close to the same price point as the Lectric XP. I would be willing to pay a little more for certain improvements but would rather they keep the cost low and add stuff later myself so I get what I want without paying for things I will remove/replace. Like the idea of a step through! Almost bought an XP but held off, so glad I did! Keep up the great work Lectric!

I hope it's at the same or close to the same price point as the Lectric XP. I would be willing to pay a little more for certain improvements but would rather they keep the cost low and add stuff later myself so I get what I want without paying for things I will remove/replace. Like the idea of a step through! Almost bought an XP but held off, so glad I did! Keep up the great work Lectric!

Even if they go up a hundred or two, 'twould be nice to have front shocks at least and maybe bump up motor to 750w nominal. I'm also more concerned about availability...really tired of all these August - September dates. Been researching ebikes for more than a month now and my eyes are bleeding.

I agree 100%. I would like to see front shocks, 750w motor, and maybe some better brakes. I just don't know if they could add those things and keep it at a $1200 or less price point. I understand your frustration with delivery dates, unfortunately with the ongoing pandemic it's not going to change any time soon. I almost pre-ordered the Rattan LF 750w today but was having nothing but issues placing my order. Add in the fact they have ZERO customer service and I'm glad I didn't do it. Hopefully tomorrow my wait will be over and I can finally pull the trigger on my first ebike.

This makes no sense unless they seriously upgrade things the current XP lacks...like a cassette (vs old school freewheel), better seat, LARGER battery, commuter style handlebar option, more street friendly tires, and MOST of all...start using their own money and get a stockpile of these so that people can get a bike WHEN THEY want one. Their customers have been financing them long enough. Its time they take that $13 mil they reported to have made their first year...and get a decent inventory. I suspect they will continue with their pre-order scheme as long as people keep putting up with it. I can see it now..."pre-order our new bike and good luck getting one".

Im a bit frustrated with the wait times myself. I ordered for a june delivery and here we are the end of june and nothing. If its going to be delayed till say the middle of July due to the pandemic fine but say so.

Last edited:
Im a bit frustrated with the wait times myself. I ordered for a june delivery and here we are the end of june and nothing. If its going to be delayed toll say the middle of July die to the pandemic fine but say so
The second sentence contains some potent Freudian slips.

Even if they go up a hundred or two, 'twould be nice to have front shocks at least and maybe bump up motor to 750w nominal. I'm also more concerned about availability...really tired of all these August - September dates. Been researching ebikes for more than a month now and my eyes are bleeding.
Not sure what the shipping issues are but I ordered two more bikes in May and got them by early June..

This makes no sense unless they seriously upgrade things the current XP lacks...like a cassette (vs old school freewheel), better seat, LARGER battery, commuter style handlebar option, more street friendly tires, and MOST of all...start using their own money and get a stockpile of these so that people can get a bike WHEN THEY want one. Their customers have been financing them long enough. Its time they take that $13 mil they reported to have made their first year...and get a decent inventory. I suspect they will continue with their pre-order scheme as long as people keep putting up with it. I can see it now..."pre-order our new bike and good luck getting one".

Truer words have never been spoken.

Seems to be just a step thru version of the regular XP, and ofcourse, pre-order for August delivery. :rolleyes:

I like it. Good performance, affordable and versatile. Kept the price at $899. I might order one for my wife as she needs a step thru. I agree with the frustration about the supply chain in general, but that's not Lectric's fault. Lots of new choices in the value space. Aventon, Ride1up, Lectric and the new road bike from RadPower.

My biggest concern with the step thru is that it appears to use a different battery then the standard XP and they don't have them in stock. I want to know if the battery size will be the same or if I can order extra batteries from another company. I emailed customer service because i don't want to deal with battery issues.

Bah... this makes no sense at all. These bikes are perfect for what they are. Consumers wanted a step thru model so they got one! They have sold 15,000 bikes in one year, there is no pre order scheme, they are shipping as fast as they can make them. Once production outpaces demand, THEN they will have inventory to sell the same day.

As for the battery, I'll bet you $100 its identical. Lectric doesn't want to manage two battery sizes anymore than the consumer does!

Thanks for reaching out! The Step-Thru does have a special, longer battery as the frame shape is a bit different. The XP's batteries are not proprietary, but the Step-Thru's batteries are custom to the bike and must be ordered through us at this time. Let us know if you have any other questions!

Happy riding,
Lauren

I'll take that $100 now and put it towards my new XP. 🤣

From Electrek website

"While most of the electronics and components are the same as the popular Lectric XP model, the Lectric XP Step-Thru’s unique frame necessitates a slightly different battery shape, and thus the battery will not be swappable with the original Lectric XP."

I also feel the step-thru batteries must be custom made for this e-bike as I don't see any similar e-bike. And it was smart to have a step-thru model of their folding e-bikes.

Well, I just bought one. I’m perfectly happy with the XP, but wanted a step through, and having a second ebike will be good for the three of us to share. I wouldn’t have minded some of the improvements, but holding the price on something that meets my needs was more important. We’re all going to have different decision criteria so do what works for you.

I think most would disagree with your thoughts...Keep up the good work Lectric we support you...

Thanks for reaching out! The Step-Thru does have a special, longer battery as the frame shape is a bit different. The XP's batteries are not proprietary, but the Step-Thru's batteries are custom to the bike and must be ordered through us at this time. Let us know if you have any other questions!

Happy riding,
Lauren

I'll take that $100 now and put it towards my new XP. 🤣

Ooh, I'm a little short, just bought a bunch of accessories, can I owe you?

And that's totally what I deserve for chiming in on something without researching.

All that said, their admittance the original battery isn't proprietary is interesting. I've seen some attempts of members to guess which is the correct one, but has anyone confirmed it? I'm curious.

I have two XP's on order and asked my wife if she wanted a delay in swapping for the Step Thru. Fortunately she didn't. I was relieved because I will still have a spare battery if we do not ride together.

The new model battery apparently will not fit in my XP, but for solo rides I saved $300 not needing to buy a spare. I can Just pack the wifey's battery along. I wonder how many 2 bike households are getting one of each, 1 XP & 1 Step Thru? It seems like the best strategy would be just 2 of either model.

Back