Lectric XP for a child?

Anyone think my daughter that's 52" would be able to use the Lectric XP ST?
My opinion, no. To me it’s a little to heavy and too much torque for her for 2 wheels. Our daughter can handle an ATV with more power but on an Lectric she would have to balance the bike when stopped which is 60+ lbs. Again just my opinion.

I'm looking for a smaller fat tire ebike that would accommodate her 52" height. Any other suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Yeah, I have an XP and even with a step thru, I would find something a little smaller and lighter for 52" imo...

You need to find a local ebike shop and see what they have and what your child can handle. There are too many variables to buy consumer direct.

In my state, MD you have to be 16 to ride a class 3 bike. If you limit the top speed and disable the throttle it might be ok. But Lectric xp is a very heavy bike. We have one my 21 year old daughter rides. How about you ride slower so he can catch up with his current bike, even ride without any assistance. I think he is too young for an e bike.

I agree with @Timpo . The weight is more dangerous than the power because a kid is going to drop the bike sooner or later.

The mind is a funny thing. My gut reaction, at my age now, was NO WAY would I give an ebike to a child of 7, or under 13! Then I had to turn the page back to the 1960's. I got my first mini bike, dirt bike when I was 7. 50cc of pure joy! I've had bicycles and motorcycles ever since I was a child. Sure I did stupid things on motorbikes, but I never broke a bone or hurt anyone else. I've had one real accident on a motorcycle, while waiting at a stop sign for traffic to clear an intersection I was rear ended by a cop:eek: True story.

So yeah, at my age I don't want the kids to get hurt. I've gotten so much joy from two wheels, can't imagine what my life would've been without them. I'd be a hypocrite to say NO WAY!

I agree that there are laws/regulations and then there is my choice/responsibility as a parent, which is not the question I'm asking or debating. I appreciate everyone's recommendations for what options might be suitable for my daughter. I'll keep hunting :)

I don't think it's safe. Too much speed. I generally see the little guys way out in front of their parents in my area. Give them a motor and someone will crash bad.
Throttle block, there are smaller ebikes of course.Theres a sale going on now for the FT 48 volt ECOTRIC, I don't really like saying this,I actually liked this Bike better than the XP, my Daughter has an ECOTRIC and it seems to be sturdier than the XP.I had an XP and couldn't get rid of it quick enough( battery lasted better than the XP) The XPs are very good for the money, just be aware there are similar bikes out there. There may be a way to restrict some of the Bikes, the thing is the manufacturers or vendors are not going to encourage this practice.

I imagine weight is a problem for many men, most women, and all children.

Maybe get a Jetson Bolt or something..

I honestly dread having to lift the Lectric XP.

Last edited:
I need something with fat tires for the beach. Also I want pedals and not just a scooter.

I'm still on the lookout for a smaller, reliable bike for my 10 year old that's 54 inches tall to keep up with us. Any other suggestions or recommendations?

I'm still on the lookout for a smaller, reliable bike for my 10 year old that's 54 inches tall to keep up with us. Any other suggestions or recommendations?
Did you end up finding anything, sdbyrd?

This is a great a thread--really appreciate everyone's input and opinions. I stumbled on this thread and forum after googling if kids could ride foldable e-bikes. Looks like a great resource.

Anyways, I'm in the same boat as the original poster and you, sdbyrd--I just bought my wife and I some fat tire ebikes and am looking for the best way for my 8 year old son to keep up with us. Ideally, I'd love to find a fat tire ebike that can be ridden by both kids and adults (so he can grow into it and in case we have friends or family visiting that want to ride).

Budget: as cheap as possible--preferably under $900

These are the options I've been able to find so far:

Kent Torpedo$500 for a lighter, more affordable bike that would be able to be handled by a kid much more easily, but the range and components look to be somewhat chintzy. Don't think it'd be a good idea for an adult to ride this for an extended period of time.

Swagtron EB6 Kids Electric Fat Bike$800 for a bigger, more sturdy setup with a bigger battery and longer range, but would be hard for a kid to handle as it weighs nearly 50 pounds. At the same time, an adult could probably ride this no problem.

Ecotric 36V Foldable Fat Tire$800 for an adult-sized foldable fat tire ebike. This is actually one of the bikes I just ordered, the other is the standard frame version that's made by Ecotric. I still don't know if this or any other adult-sized foldable fat bike could fit a child. If the one I ordered actually ships to me (located in Alaska and it isn't easy finding a company to ship oversize items here) I'll post the results of my son's test drive of it.

Any help or ideas is appreciated, thanks!
-Evan

Back