Lectric XP controller issues ?

I'm having similar issues and I think the controller cannot handle too much steep hills. I live in hilly area with 20-25 degree slopes, similar to San Francisco. My 230lb weight doesn't help the issue. I've had my bike for just over 1 month and now have random problems. It will sometimes accelerate without pedaling or throttle, other times power just cuts out intermittently (sucks when it cuts out while I'm pedaling uphill), and other times give E008 error code and completely dies (really sucks I have to walk it up hill). Checked all the cables but the error code will not go away. Once I pulled the controller after I walked the bike home and it was so hot I couldn't hold it for more than a second. I'm pretty sure something got fried. The error code will go away in a few hours after the controller cools down. It'll just come back next time I'm climbing uphill. Waiting for Lectric to respond....

Meanwhile, has anyone found a controller upgrade that can handle the higher amp for a longer period?

I'm having similar issues and I think the controller cannot handle too much steep hills. I live in hilly area with 20-25 degree slopes, similar to San Francisco. My 230lb weight doesn't help the issue. I've had my bike for just over 1 month and now have random problems. It will sometimes accelerate without pedaling or throttle, other times power just cuts out intermittently (sucks when it cuts out while I'm pedaling uphill), and other times give E008 error code and completely dies (really sucks I have to walk it up hill). Checked all the cables but the error code will not go away. Once I pulled the controller after I walked the bike home and it was so hot I couldn't hold it for more than a second. I'm pretty sure something got fried. The error code will go away in a few hours after the controller cools down. It'll just come back next time I'm climbing uphill. Waiting for Lectric to respond....

Meanwhile, has anyone found a controller upgrade that can handle the higher amp for a longer period?

I think your right about the controller not being able to handle steep hills, I also live in a very hilly area and with me and what I am carrying in my panniers its about 215 lbs. I went on a long 3-4 hour ride today and the error code E008 came up then E010 started flashing. I lost all power with my throttle and PAS levels. Lectric is sending me a new controller. I am very curious if there is a controller that can handle higher amp for a longer period. Also curious how much it will costs once out of warranty. I wonder if Lectric will upgrade the controllers themselves if this is happening to a lot of folks.

I live in a hilly area and as of 2800kms I have had no problems with my controller, maybe the problem is with newer batches?

I live in a hilly area and as of 2800kms I have had no problems with my controller, maybe the problem is with newer batches?

Wow, were you one of the early adopters of the Lectric? Just in awe of the milage you got out of the bike and what I should expect for longterm/long milage ownership or if anything youd like to share. Dont mean to derail OP, Thanks

Wow, were you one of the early adopters of the Lectric? Just in awe of the milage you got out of the bike and what I should expect for longterm/long milage ownership or if anything youd like to share. Dont mean to derail OP, Thanks
I bought my bike on July 1st 2019 and received it at the end of Sept '19. My friend Darceman bought his around the same time and has even more kms and he has had no controller issues either but he does not climb as many hills as I have to. (if that makes any difference?)

Lectric sent me a new controller. Replaced it and everything is working correctly now. Hope this lasts longer.

One issue is the controller is inside the frame with no air circulation to cool the unit. I'm going to find a way to transfer the heat to the frame, see if that works.

I am overweight going up 20-25% grades so the control is pulling constant 20 amps for 5-minute stretches. It can't cool down in-between so after about 30 minutes I run into no power issue - I think due to overheating. Power comes back after 15 to 30 seconds.

Controller similar to this runs around $30-$50 but I couldn't find the exact model used by Lectric.

Is it possible to adjust the max amperage down to a lower level, like 16-18 in the settings? I seem to remember that category, but do not know if it is one we can edit.

I'm having exactly same issues as you, random power off, and on when you don't expect it, Also cruise control is hit or miss, it might work, or only for a couple of seconds. Throttle does not give full power sometimes.
My hills are not as steep, I rarely use more than PAS#2, and I weigh 170 pounds so I don't think it has over heated, at least it should not have, and it started to happen at less the 100 miles. I think I got a lemon.

Oh yeah, I haven't heard back in 8 days about my out-of-round back rim. So I won't hold my breath on any customer support. I think I'll agree with @Nima who said on page one "(Lectric Support quality has gone down ever since they became popular)"

I'm having exactly same issues as you, random power off, and on when you don't expect it, Also cruise control is hit or miss, it might work, or only for a couple of seconds. Throttle does not give full power sometimes.
My hills are not as steep, I rarely use more than PAS#2, and I weigh 170 pounds so I don't think it has over heated, at least it should not have, and it started to happen at less the 100 miles. I think I got a lemon.

Oh yeah, I haven't heard back in 8 days about my out-of-round back rim. So I won't hold my breath on any customer support. I think I'll agree with @Nima who said on page one "(Lectric Support quality has gone down ever since they became popular)"

I would disagree, Lectric customer support is really good! I blew a motor controller and contacted Lectric support about it after an hour after it happened and they got back to be within a half hour. We emailed back and forth for 2-3 hours trying to figure out if it was the motor controller and they responded back each time in less than a half hour during that time and then sent me a new motor controller. I have contacted them other times when I first got my bike about tire stuff and maintenance and still got a response back same day within an hour. I would check your emails to them and see if they went through. So far they have been really good with customer support and I hope it turns around for you.

I was communicating with one person at Lectric and he stopped communicating for days. So I submitted a complaint through their website and someone got back immediately and was able to reference all past emails. Sent out a new controller on the spot. Try that. Sometimes emails get lost/forgotten with so many they're getting now.
Your symptoms sound like a bad controller. Bunch of random problems.

I think my controller just gave up the ghost after 3000kms. The power started temporarily cutting out under load and then the throttle came on by itself and wouldn't shut off even when I unplugged the throttle cable, luckily the brake cutoffs still worked so I could finish my ride. I also noticed that the cruise control stopped working. E-mailed Lectric 2 days ago and still no word from them, I'll have to try phoning them on Monday even though it means missing work. Hope I'm still under warranty!

I took my controller apart and it looks like I would just have to replace this capacitor to make it work again. Lectric did send me a new one so I'm back riding again but it might be fun to see if I could fix the old one.

Attachments

• controller.jpg
    controller.jpg
    324.2 KB · Views: 768
I took my controller apart and it looks like I would just have to replace this capacitor to make it work again. Lectric did send me a new one so I'm back riding again but it might be fun to see if I could fix the old one.

How hard was it to remove the old controller and install the new one?

Let me know how that goes. Can you sub with higher-rated capacitors for higher amp draw? I thought about fixing it but other controller chips could have burnt out due to high heat. Wish Lectric would get some higher capacity controllers.

How hard was it to remove the old controller and install the new one?
Fairly easy. Fold the bike open and on the opposite side of the frame from the battery, there are 4 screws holding the battery contact cover. Take that off and you'll find the controller inside. Slide it out. There are a lot of connectors that aren't labeled so it's best to transfer the wires to the new controller one at a time. Some connectors look the same such as the left and right brake so it doesn't matter which one goes to which.

Let me know how that goes. Can you sub with higher-rated capacitors for higher amp draw? I thought about fixing it but other controller chips could have burnt out due to high heat. Wish Lectric would get some higher capacity controllers.
You don't want to substitute any capacitors. Replace them with the same capacitance and voltage range. These are energy storage devices and if you get it wrong, you can destroy the entire unit.

I got the same problem and my second controller just died. Fortunately, Lectric is very responsive and will send me another one. They are aware of the controller problem and are "working on improving the controller in the future," but for now just suggest to stay on PAS 2 when going up steep hills, zig zagging slowly up the hill. However, a dying controller when going up steep hills is a deal breaker for an electric bike and not using the bike's performance but crawling up the hill is not a solution. Hopefully they'll come up with a better controller that can handle steep hills soon.

Back