Lake Superior North Shore

Roamers

Region
USA
Planning a September trip; considering the UP, North Shore area. Any suggestions for multi-use trails? We are not mountain bikers. Riding Gazelle C380s.

Any insights on the Gitchi-Gami State Trail and what the sections between finished sections are like?

Thanks!

Hi, another option might be the Mesabi Trail, goes from Grand Rapids to Ely.
My first ride on it was the Gilbert/ Virginia area and it was great…….lots of great scenery and many winding trail sections.
This weekend going back for organized ride out of Chisholm/ Hibbing area.
Signed up for 64 mile ride.

Very interesting area and friendly small towns.

Attachments

• AFE54CA7-865F-43EA-9FD4-7A644A4A5CE4.jpeg
    AFE54CA7-865F-43EA-9FD4-7A644A4A5CE4.jpeg
    428.8 KB · Views: 145
  • 2B66BC41-B639-4BBC-A556-D7840F896CAB.jpeg
    2B66BC41-B639-4BBC-A556-D7840F896CAB.jpeg
    157.5 KB · Views: 127
Usually every summer,, I take the ferry over to Madeline Island for a couple weeks during 4th of July.
The activities are a blast, with the UoD students of theater come over doing plays, to the violin orchestra
on the Island doing performances. It's a big arts festival event with parade all day.

A few days prior - Wish I could recall how we got on the trail to Southern side of Lake Superior,
where the biggest drift wood I've ever seen seems to end up on the Southern shore line, and so very quiet
and never bumped into anyone. I kinda think old highway 2 gets one most of the way.

On Madeline, there's a fairly big bike rental shop there, and scooters as well. The views of Lake Superior
from Northern sector of island are shear cliffs 150 ft up or more. So be careful after dark in this zone.
Viewing the crashing white cap waves can get carried away. I don't think the water temp ever gets above 40.
I thought I could dive in to inspect props on 40 footer we were on beached on the sand,, and two seconds later
bells went off telling me to get out immediately.
Cheers

Usually every summer,, I take the ferry over to Madeline Island for a couple weeks during 4th of July.
The activities are a blast, with the UoD students of theater come over doing plays, to the violin orchestra
on the Island doing performances. It's a big arts festival event with parade all day.

A few days prior - Wish I could recall how we got on the trail to Southern side of Lake Superior,
where the biggest drift wood I've ever seen seems to end up on the Southern shore line, and so very quiet
and never bumped into anyone. I kinda think old highway 2 gets one most of the way.

On Madeline, there's a fairly big bike rental shop there, and scooters as well. The views of Lake Superior
from Northern sector of island are shear cliffs 150 ft up or more. So be careful after dark in this zone.
Viewing the crashing white cap waves can get carried away. I don't think the water temp ever gets above 40.
I thought I could dive in to inspect props on 40 footer we were on beached on the sand,, and two seconds later
bells went off telling me to get out immediately.
Cheers
I lived in Washburn for a couple of years. I find myself thinking of moving back, but I would, and did, miss seeing the mountains. Chequamegon Bay is a bit warmer, but I got called crazy for soaking in it on hot days. I grew up swimming in glacier fed lakes here in Washington so might be acclimated more to cold water.

Went with a group to play in our kayaks when there were on shore winds and big waves. We stayed close to shore where we could easily get back if we got into trouble. That was fun and was at Bayfield. I never made it to the sea caves but we did paddle through an arch and by some interesting rocks.

Oh, and the ticks. I hated the ticks. I would almost drive off the road when I realized I had a tick crawling on me. The locally grown fellow employees thought that was funny.

I believe I read where Ashland got some award as a bike friendly city?

I drove back there a year ago and Ashland sure looked nicer than it used to.

Truly don't blame ya a bit with the ticks, this is probably the first summer not knowingly having one on me,, and why do you think they end up on you neck and never felt the hour it takes to get there?? Well I discovered the secrete by accident weed whipping industrial nonsense behind the neighbors barn one late afternoon, and the sun setting just right it happened,. as I stepped back
one or two step,, there the bugger was in full attack mode and just missed me as he sailed by.. Yes, sailed by in hover mode from above me out of a tree. With his feet stretched out like a electric drone mode 6 motor type. So if anyone ever says they don't fly,, well there you have it. They are not just down in the grass,,, well maybe after failed attempts at ambush...

Ashland really is a unique pit stop,, with that colorful mansion up high on the hill top. Good Couple of friends of,mine live on the island year round.
One teaches everything about sailing
on one very large sailboat for full crew. The other is concert band promoter the last 45 years. So I end up staying at his cabin, or out on the bluff camping,, with ocean view.
Then of course Burned Down Tom's cafe,, a must see the first stop, all open air, and when chilly,. wood fire boxes every ten feet.

I never did make it out with the crew to the ice cave,, it melted early on us that spring.
One guy on the island is a famous coffee guy roasting ovens, the works. Have to admit,, it's a fun tour and many fly in, with their bike strapped under aircraft. The ferry ride across is epic view entire way.

Cheers

Finally got around to our North Shore trip. A bit cool for biking so we didn't bring bikes.

First night, but initial evaluation is that Cove Point Lodge is a nice place to stay.

Yum, got me craving walleye now! Our last trip there was around Lutsen, Ely, Grand Marais, and the Cooke County area. Gotta Love
Lake Superior!

Although it was kinda cool and windy hiking yesterday, today is supposed to be pretty wet. Nice view from the Jacuzzi, will have lots of indoors today.

Attachments

• 20221108_075122.jpg
    20221108_075122.jpg
    464.8 KB · Views: 123
  • 20221108_190916.jpg
    20221108_190916.jpg
    438.2 KB · Views: 115
We went to the Great Lakes Shipwreck museum in Whitefish Point Michigan. Very interesting place with a lot of artifacts from the wreckage. On display was a wax figure of a sea hand or captain that was so realistic it was eerie.

After finally moving into a house there, I went out on Chequamegon Bay for a paddle in my kayak. Had that song going through my head all the time I was on the water.

Back