Known Issues & Problems with TAUBIK Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric bikes from TAUBIK as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.

The throttle does not work on zero pedal-assist for any Taubik e-bikes.

I asked Ryan from Taubik about why that is and his response was that it is for safety reasons, and that a throttle on PAS 0 would effectively turn the e-bike into a motorcycle.

I have an e-bike from a different company. The throttle works on PAS 0. I find it to be safer. I’m able to throttle at a moment’s notice in order to move out of the way, quickly cross a street, or regain balance after stopping.

I wish I’d known about the throttle before encouraging my nephew to buy a Taubik bike.

*Also - Taubik Bolt 2.0 owners, and those using the same battery as the Bolt, should know that there is a second, well-hidden fuse under the handle of the battery that you’ll need to change if you ever accidentally touch a key to the charging port. The Taubik dealer that sold my nephew the bike (EZ Rides in Belleville) didn’t know to check it when we brought the battery in and they kept it for over a week. They ‘offered’ us a replacement battery for $400. Thankfully, we declined and took the battery to a different bike shop that doesn’t even sell Taubik products. They found the second fuse that the dealer had overlooked. The battery didn’t need replacing at all. They had to search for quite some time but we’re so glad that they refused to give up. Below is a photo showing where that fuse is hidden. No literature is provided to the customer to inform them of it. They should include photos like the ones below to customers AND dealers so no one has to waste the time and money we had to.

Attachments

• IMG_9679.jpeg
    IMG_9679.jpeg
    306.8 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_9680.jpeg
    IMG_9680.jpeg
    364.2 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:
Hey Lana,

I want to add some context, as I feel it would help the community to better understand our bikes.

Our generation 1 (first shipment) all had throttle on PAS 0. The demographic our bikes appeal most to are: men and women over the age of 40. A lady who was new to e-biking was at one of our dealers test riding bikes. As she was focusing on getting her leg over the step through frame, her eyes were pointed downward at her feet and not focusing on her hand position. Since the throttle was active on PAS 0 (Always on) she unknowingly pressed the throttle with her palm. In turn, the bike dragged her across the parking lot, until the bike fell over on its side. Luckily she was unharmed, the bike can be replaced. Our number one priority is the safety and well being of our customers. We had all of our dealers survey the consumer, they found that 98% of e-bikers do not ride around on PAS 0 (No electrical assistance). We took this information back to our factory, and they programmed the throttle to only activate on PAS 1-5.

As our slogan "Family friendly outdoor activity" would suggest, we are about getting individuals outside for fun and exercise. The reason I suggested throttle on PAS 0 would effectively make the e-bike a "motorcycle" is because, if you only want to ride around using the throttle without pedaling, an e-bicycle is not the right fit. This customer would be better off in an electric scooter or an electric motorcycle/sport bike.

Your nephew reached out to me indicating he had placed his keys in the charge port and the battery no longer worked. I responded and said there is a fuse inside the charge port so that if something like this happens, the $2 fuse would blow and not the $800 battery. The battery was brought to the dealer where they informed me the fuse had not been blown. I could only assume that something inside the battery had been affected by the key being placed in the charge port, I wasn't aware both fuses had not been checked. Due to this exact incident, and the safety of our customers, we immediately went back to the factory to design something that would limit the chances of someone placing a metal key inside the electrical charging port. The new Escape which replaced the Bolt 2.0, does not require a key anywhere near the bike in order to operate. The battery is powered on by simply pressing an ON/OFF switch.

I will attach photos of this new design.

Hopefully this explains a little more in detail why some features are put in place on our bikes. It is difficult to design a bike that fits the individual preference of each customer, we try our best to listen to the customer, and build the best bike possible at an affordable price.

Thank you, have a great day.

Ryan

Attachments

• 49-PV212658.jpg
    49-PV212658.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 175
Back