Kick scooter for heavier adult??? Recommendations please

Tlcrawford

Hi everyone,

I'm a big guy. Let's just say...a 250 lb male. Fat jokes aside, I'm looking for a lightweight electric kick scooter or compact format bike that I can take on my boat when I go to the Bahamas, Florida Keys, etc. I'd like to be able to go from the dock into town, grab some items and transport them back to the marina. I'm not expecting more than 10 miles round trip and recharge time is not a top priority as I'll likely only use it once a day, maybe twice. I would appreciate you "weighing in" on this with your recommendations.

Thanks,

Tom

I'm about 235lbs, and I have a I-Max S1+. It handles more weight than both of us. See if it's a viable consideration. I'm actually, coincidentally, out riding it right now. My only complaint - cogging. It's a 500 watt gearless hub motor, and the magnets slow me down when power isn't applied. All direct drive hubs cog. The difference is this scooter has power to move us bigger guys.

Anyway, see if it's something you like. Great for the trunk, or intermodal transportation.

Hey @tds101; I think you may have misunderstood Tlcrawford's query! :) It's human only powered scooters he's asking about, if we're all clear about the Q by Tlcrawford. He's not asking about electric bikes at this time; however, I'm digging to find some answers to his current question. Who knows! might be electric next post but for now we go with what Tom wants!

Hi Ann,

Actually, I was asking about electric "kick scooters" as the term "scooter" is very broad in scope. I'm currently looking at tds101's recommendation on electricridereview.com. Thank you for chiming in. I would certainly appreciate yours and everyones' recommendations. Thank you also to tds101.

Have a nice weekend everyone!

Tom

Not a problem! Electric actually gives you more options; however, I do think tds101 is referring to Ebikes. We could help you more if you would share with us a little more detail about what you need your E wheels to do. Like product size constrictions (does it need to go in a car trunk or under a bed) and what type of miles you need to do in a day overall and how hilly (or not) the area is where you want to ride.

Just to be clear, the term 'Kick Scooter' means a totally human powered scooter on this site. Pretty much like what we would've ridden as kids or today's Razor kick scooters. Your clarification about what you are wanting to do will help a lot! Been in this industry for 14 years now so I understand that there are confusing terminology :)

I'm referring to an electric kick scooter I recently purchased, not an ebike. I just got back from my ride (I had to pick up my car for the work week. I, unfortunately, can't ride a bike to work).

Here's a Google search, so you guys & gals can check it out.

https://www.google.com/search?q=imax+s1++electric+scooter&oq=imax&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j69i39l2j0j69i60j69i61.3134j1j4&client=ms-android-att-us&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

PS: I also own a GoPed KnowPed human powered kick scooter as well. I use it to ride around with my 12 year old son, weather permitting. All good!!! :cool:

Ok, thanks @tds101! However, what your search shows is items that are not kick scooters in any sense of the word. They are plain ole' electric scooters like many that our shop has sold and repaired over the last 14 years. An actual 'Kick scooter' has no electric component and there are a number of cool varieties to be selected.

No problem. Some places call them "electric" kick scooters. Believe me when I tell you, there's no logical way to use my IMax S1 plus as a human powered kick scooter. No power = no ride. I definitely see your point.

Since you're not really sure what you want and don't have a lot of experience, you should wait until you pull into the Fort. Lauderdale area and check out the Electric Bike Store. They specialized in boat bound ebikes or scooters or whatever.

Don't buy anything until you've had a chance to test ride it for an hour or so. eBikes are expensive and they suffer huge depreciation.

Alright, alright! don't go the fear route; however @JoePah is right and I encourage you too, to do a Test Ride. Please don't just go by what some website sez is so and try to find a local shop that can support you no matter where you end up buying a scooter. Electric scooters started my business and I still love 'em and work on them. :)

Thank you everyone! I appreciate the support and community you provide. I live about 15 minutes from the Electric Bike Store in Ft. Lauderdale and will take a trip in there. Perhaps to clarify what I am wanting, I'll give you a better description of where I'll store it and where I'll use it.

I recently purchased a vintage 43' boat which I intend to take to the Bahamas a few times a year. I'd like something small enough that I can easily stow it away (unlike a bicycle) and that I can use to transport me from the marina into town to grab groceries or to go to a restaurant. I don't expect to ever travel more than 10 miles round trip on paved roads. There may be slight hills but primarily flat ground travel. I used the term "electric kick scooter" because that's what they are being called in video reviews, on eBay, etc. They are using that term to describe what we all know as kick scooters (i.e. Razor) which are now electrically powered. They are also called this to differentiate their style from an electric sit down "scooter" (think electric moped look or an electric Vespa look). I won't argue the definition that has been coined here on this site...just sharing what the rest of the world seems to be calling them.

OK..so I like the form factor of a stand up electric scooter because the handles and steering column fold out of the way and make for a very compact package when storing them. Most of the ones I'm interested in seem to have a gearless direct drive hub, battery packs under the deck and, while not light, are light enough for me to carry from my boat to the parking lot.

I have raised the issue of my weight because I see numerous models that have a thin aluminum linkage/goose neck / bracket where the steering column connects to the deck. (ie. X7 Scooter selling all over eBay right not). It looks like it would fail under my weight. I'm also concerned about these scooters with suspensions (either up front or using a swing arm design in the rear).

While I'll head to the Electric Bike Store, I welcome all of your thoughts, personal experiences, et al. My fear is that I'll be locked into the brands they sell at the Electric Bike Store and may miss the ideal produce for me which I can purchase online.

Thank you again for your comments. I look forward to reading more of them and having defined what I'm calling an electric kick scooter, we can move past that conversation and into specific brands, models, features, pros & cons, upgrades, hacks and so forth.

Have a wonderful Sunday and an easy and low stress start to your week.

Tom

Back