Just ordered my Hydra! New Hydra Black just posted too

kwseattle

Region
USA
City
Seattle
Brand new here, have been researching e-bikes for the last couple of months and finally decided on the Hydra.
I just put in my order last night. Build specs:

1623969869637.png

Today I got an email about a new Hydra Black model - looks like a non-customizable version for a bit less money.

I had talked with Pushkar about this a little while back. I’m sure he will post the whole skinny here soon. As I understand it this is part of The deal he came to with the frame manufacture after their recent differences.

I thought the following but you are getting custom paint etc so I could be wrong.

I just went on the website and it is easy to get confused. I think you actually ordered the hydra pro. The hydra black is just black.

This bike is a one spec fits all, slightly smaller battery. only available in flat black and built entirely in China but this will relieve him of the extreme component shortages he is suffering through here. the only option in the innotrace controller which will be installed in the US. I would definitely get that option . it does not carry the same warranty as our bikes made here. Ours will Now be called the Hydra Pro. He does need to correct the weight stated though, it still says 58 pounds in one spot and then 62 pounds on the chart. I believe 62 pounds will be correct with a smaller battery.
it’s basically meant to contend with Luna as it sits between the X one and the Apollo.

Last edited:
I had talked with Pushkar about this a little while back. I’m sure he will post the whole skinny here soon. As I understand it this is part of The deal he came to with the frame manufacture after their recent differences.

I thought the following but you are getting custom paint etc so I could be wrong.

I just went on the website and it is easy to get confused. I think you actually ordered the hydra pro. The hydra black is just black.

This bike is a one spec fits all, slightly smaller battery. only available in flat black and built entirely in China but this will relieve him of the extreme component shortages he is suffering through here. the only option in the innotrace controller which will be installed in the US. I would definitely get that option . it does not carry the same warranty as our bikes made here. Ours will Now be called the Hydra Pro. He does need to correct the weight stated though, it still says 58 pounds in one spot and then 62 pounds on the chart. I believe 62 pounds will be correct with a smaller battery.
it’s basically meant to contend with Luna as it sits between the X one and the Apollo.
Yeah I guess my order as of today is now called the 'Hydra Pro,' which allows customization options. I ordered it just before the change. I don't think anything has changed between my build and the new 'Pro' besides the X1 controller appears to only have one power option now (2300w) - though I went for the 2300w anyways.

Welcome to EBR KW, the Hydra is going to be one fun bike by all accounts.
Thanks! I'm incredibly excited. I test rode a few Rad Power bikes and thought "really, that's all?" when I twisted the throttle hah. I originally was thinking of just buying a commuter bike, but considering I live in the PNW I thought maybe I'd want to ride on some of the amazing trails around here besides just the city streets. Plus full suspension should be a whole lot more comfortable all around and while I'm in the city.

Congrats on the Hydra Pro!

Looking very closely at Hydra and the new Black edition is interesting, if there was more details about exactly what it is (battery size, motor wattage, accurate component list) I would be very tempted to go ahead and put a deposit down. For instance the pictures of the black show Rockshox and there is a fuzzy comparison picture that shows 2000w, rockshox, sram, 800wh.

I am very interested in getting more details!

Yeah Kwseattle, sounds like a good choice. I live on the coast in CA about an hour north of San Francisco. We ride the trails and fire road type hiking areas almost exclusively. We enjoy the outdoors. Ebikes have transformed our outside experience because of how much more ground we cover as compared to hiking. We see much more.

I'm looking forward to a Hydra for the power also - not having to push the bike up the steeper stretches.

Congrats on the Hydra Pro!

Looking very closely at Hydra and the new Black edition is interesting, if there was more details about exactly what it is (battery size, motor wattage, accurate component list) I would be very tempted to go ahead and put a deposit down. For instance the pictures of the black show Rockshox and there is a fuzzy comparison picture that shows 2000w, rockshox, sram, 800wh.

I am very interested in getting more details!
There are five thumbnail pictures , the final one is the component list. It is clear when you click on it rather than looking at the small pic on the right side. You can only upgrade to 2000w instead of 2300w due to the different battery. But that’s not a big difference to me. Rockshox Yari (good) and Monarch (ok) Tektra brakes are Chinese but a lot of bikes use them without problems. all in all it looks like a great offering for the price.
The real bonus is being able to get the Innotrace controller. That alone would move it to the top of my list.. Having riden the standard Bafang controller as well as the Innotrace there is no doubt in my mind it is far superior. I would not bother buying a Bafang ultra without it. you’re dragging around an extra 8 pounds of motor that is approximately 20% less efficient than a euro spec Shimano or Bosch as well as 3 more pounds of battery to power it Just to have a throttle and some extra power
there are several Luna X1, My Frey CCs,(1 Innotrace, 1 standard Bafang) and one Apollo near me. When my Hydras get here I’m gonna try to organize a riding party and do a video to show the differences.

Last edited:
There are five thumbnail pictures , the final one is the component list. It is clear when you click on it rather than looking at the small pic on the right side. You can only upgrade to 2000w instead of 2300w due to the different battery. But that’s not a big difference to me. Rockshox Yari (good) and Monarch (ok) Tektra brakes are Chinese but a lot of bikes use them without problems. all in all it looks like a great offering for the price. The real bonus is being able to get the Innotrace controller. That alone would move it to the top of my list.. Having riden the standard Bafang controller as well as the Innotrace there is no doubt in my mind that it is far superior. I would not bother buying a Bafang ultra without it. you’re dragging around an extra 8 pounds of motor that is approximately 20% less efficient than a euro spec Shimano or Bosch Just to have a throttle and some extra power
Thanks now I see the better pic. Yes the Innotrace controller is key for me, no mention how much the upgrade will be to 2000w, really needs a configurator like the Hydra Pro. I have Tektro on my Juiced, they are ok no issues, just single piston, there a few different levels of Tektro though, so its important which one specifically.

I keep forgetting how much the Bafang Ultra weighs, Luna offered a magnesium version thats 2 lbs lighter, then there is the M600 which could be interesting with a Innotrace but smaller and lighter.

Thanks now I see the better pic. Yes the Innotrace controller is key for me, no mention how much the upgrade will be to 2000w, really needs a configurator like the Hydra Pro. I have Tektro on my Juiced, they are ok no issues, just single piston, there a few different levels of Tektro though, so its important which one specifically.

I keep forgetting how much the Bafang Ultra weighs, Luna offered a magnesium version thats 2 lbs lighter, then there is the M600 which could be interesting with a Innotrace but smaller and lighter.
If 1000 W is all you need and can wait, (6 months/year?). There is a rumor Pushkar is working on a Carbon M600 (USA manufacturing) lower CG design that will be paired with the New Innotrace X2 controller, (currently in testing). There are still component shortages and other obstacles he will have to navigate through but If he can pull this off… 8lbs motor, 1000w, with Innotrace (efficiency/power delivery) and a throttle in a weight placement design based on engineering. I predict we will all be able say we new him when he when he was just another small shop.

Last edited:
If 1000 W is all you need and can wait, (6 months/year?). There is a rumor Pushkar is working on a Carbon M600 (USA manufacturing) lower CG design that will be paired with the New Innotrace X2 controller, (currently in testing). There are still component shortages and other obstacles he will have to navigate through but If he can pull this off… 8lbs motor, 1000w, with Innotrace (efficiency/power delivery) and a throttle in a weight placement design based on engineering. I predict we will all be able say we new him when he when he was just another small shop.
Not sure if I can wait much longer ;). I have had my Hardtail 80lbs hub motor Juiced for a year now and am ready for a lighter mid drive full suspension with better components like I am used to on my mountain bike. My Juiced tops out around 1200w and is good for 31mph which his fine, but I like the idea of a 40mph bike if needed or just better climbing ability (which the hub motor is very poor). An even lighter M600 Archon is interesting though for sure.

I sure it comes in all sizes although XL might be special order because it isnt a common frame. It’s a sweet deal if you are new to Emtb those components are going to feel amazing. They are easily as good as the top spec that was available 5 yrs ago. I’m not sure but i think it will be a faster delivery time than if you ordered a Hydra Pro.

Last edited:
Hmm, tempting. Also - not instead of.

Thanks Acme.

I was out on my hard tail e mountain bike today getting beat up and so looking forward to full suspension.

Hydra black says a delivery time of ~90 days, actually, so the Pro would actually be quicker (hopefully, since that's what I ordered!).

Back