Juiced Crosscurrent X - Initial Review & 1st E-bike

treal512

About Me
Just rode my CCX for the second time since receiving it last week. On the first ride I was mainly focused on the fenders not touching the tires (I rushed putting them on so I could ride before the sun went down) and overall it was a fairly short ride. Today, however, I rode about 15-20 miles. I'm 34 and this is the 4th bike in my stable right now. My current bikes include a full-suspension MTB, an 80's double-butted chromoly Italian-style road bike, and my dad's vintage 70's Schwinn Le Tour that I plan on rebuilding someday. I love cycling and consider myself to be a fairly strong rider despite not getting to ride very often. But riding 20-50 miles+ on a whim is relatively easy and a lot of fun for me.

jccx.jpg

CCX Feeling
On my first ride, I felt out of place on the CCX. Don't get me wrong, the gearing and spin of the pedals is smooth and feels great, but the bike just felt strange to me. Around the 10 mile mark today though, things changed, and I really began to fully accept the CCX and its electric motor/battery integration. I guess my background with loving vintage bicycles made this hybrid-ish bionic-feeling 50 lb bike feel a little strange to me. Plus, on forums, and even in my personal life, when I've brought up the word e-bike I've had some people say things like, "that's cheating." Again, I love cycling- EVERYTHING about it. So much so that I left my friends and family in Texas to move to the PNW so I could bicycle more. Ask me why I moved up here and that is my primary reason- to bicycle more. So hearing people say negative or chastising things about e-bikes, to me, is ass backwards. If an electric motor is getting more people to bicycle, what's not to love?? Never the less, I felt weird being on an e-bike until about the 10 mile mark. That is when "I became one with the bike."

CCX Assist Modes
I don't have a favorite mode yet. They're all a lot of fun, even 0. I will say though the modes I use the least are 3 and S. I am mainly in ECO and 1, less so in 2 and R. For those that don't know, here are the assist levels: 0, ECO, 1, 2, 3, S, R. R mode, to me, stands for race or ridiculous. If you want to get moving in a hurry, use the throttle (feels like R speed) and get in R mode and you'll be getting to where you want in a hurry. ECO mode feels just right, but that entirely depends on the gear you're in. There were times I was 100% content with ECO, and then the elevation and terrain changed and I felt like it was too fast. During the ride today I was in 0 mode for a small portion of it just enjoying the moderate cadence speed and quiet scenery. Other times I was in 2 or 3 and just chugging along, but not violently so.

CCX Throttle
Really nice having this, but sometimes it is very delayed when you press down on it. There are times it pushes you along right when you ask it to and other times you're left wondering if the thing is still on. Either way, when you're trying to get out of someone's way or just need the boost from a standstill, the throttle is much appreciated. Another good use for the throttle is to push you to a much higher speed (above your cruising average) where you can then change into a bigger gear and then lower the assist mode back down to preserve the battery. Now at this point you're able to sustain that higher speed in the bigger gear. Basically the throttle can get you over a plateau that you’re normally not willing to go all out on to get past.

CCX Speed
This of course depends on your cadence, leg strength, and the gear you're in. For me, on flats and without exertion, I averaged 12 mph on 0 mode, 17 mph on ECO mode, 22 mph on 1 mode, and ~27 mph on 2 mode. All of these numbers give or take 1-2 mph. S and R, to be honest; I don't rightly know what the difference is. By the time I want to go FAST (R mode), I basically just skip right over S mode and I'm flying. And by flying I mean 28 mph+, like I feel a little afraid for my life fast (wearing a helmet). I would highly recommend you become best friends with your brakes so that you know full well how to handle a situation should your skills be called upon to get out of a bind.

CCX Workout
This bike will be as much of a workout as you want it to be. Let me repeat that- this bike is in NO WAY CHEATING. If you're barely working and flying around on 3/S/R mode, then sure, you're probably not getting much exercise out of it and the battery is tanking, but there is nothing wrong with this. In fact, people will get stronger over time and not need to rely on the highest modes for absolute speed. My thought on this matter is this- if you want a good workout, then drop the gear, increase your cadence, and lower the assist level. Even in ECO or 1 mode, at times, I felt it was helping me too much. Seeing as how I wanted to get a decent workout, all I had to do was drop the gear (of the rear cassette) into 3, 2, or 1. Hills, flats, you name it, with the right mechanical gearing and the right electronic assist mode, you can and will get a great workout. Don't ever let anyone tell you that an e-bike is cheating. The only difference will be the e-bike will cover MUCH more ground and be MUCH faster overall than a traditional bicycle. Don't believe me? Race me!

CCX Quality & Build
Not showroom quality, but pretty high up there. The brushed aluminum is nice, but I can easily spot the inconsistencies on the frame with the right lighting. The motor is quiet. The gearing is smooth. The front suspension actually feels really nice and the lock-out is very rigid and appreciated. The fenders are meh. I still need to work with bending the metal stays, but as of now I am not much of a fan. The rear tail light is decent, but the lack of integration with the headlight ON/OFF function is really disappointing. The headlight is pretty amazing, but I wish it was mounted higher so it wouldn't glare on the top-side of the fender and ultimately shine into my eyes at night. Pedals are adequate, but I have yet to ride in inclement weather with them. The kickstand is awesome and is much appreciated. I don't even care how much that thing weighs, it's super handy considering how heavy this bike is. THE BRAKES ARE AMAZING. I unintentionally scared cars when I flew up to stop signs and jammed on the brakes. Seat is not bad, but I definitely prefer Brooks. And last, but not least, the tires are really something else. They instill a lot of confidence in you to roll over almost any terrain. Do yourself a favor and watch this video (youtube.com/watch?v=aqaFrdQjQEo) about them.

Juiced Brand
I love them. I feel like they could have more presence overall, but I appreciate everything they do and all the support and outreach they currently give us. During Black Friday, their team was up in the wee hours of the morning, just like a lot of us (customers) were, to manage, problem solve, and help with the massive sale they put on. Plus, every single e-mail I have sent them with questions regarding sizes, specs, etc, they have always responded back to me within less than a few days.

Overall Thoughts
Exercise can be yours (and transportation, obviously) if you gear the cassette and motor accordingly. But above maybe everything is you can get to places you never thought possible on an e-bike. Even on a traditional bike, the entire landscape is yours to explore, but on an e-bike, almost nothing is without it's limits for you to check out. For example, towards the end of a long ride, if you see something interesting, on a traditional bike you are less likely to veer away from your course to inspect something all for the sake of maintaining your cadence and speed so that you can finish strong. On an e-bike? Nonsense! Let's go look at ALL THE THINGS because you are now covering more ground and covering more ground quicker so all minor inconveniences become trivial and as a result everything becomes absolutely explorable when you're on an e-bike. This bike is outstanding!

Future Plans/Accessories
Satori Animaris Suspension Seatpost (waiting on shim)
Bontrager Ion 200 RT/Flare RT Light Set (daytime running lights)
Lezyne HV Drive Medium Air Pump
Long fender mud flaps
Left handle mirror
Remove all quick releases for security locks
Pewag 12mm chain and padlock

jccx2.jpg

Thanks for reading and riding! Safe travels.

Thanks for the detailed report! Reading some of your remarks reminded me of the fun I had in the first months of owning my CCS, trying out various accessories, such as replacing the pedals with some more to my liking. I hope you have as much fun as I've had!

Looks good. I like that silver color and feel like it’s the better choice vs black for visibility for those who don’t care for red. S mode will pull power as you approach 28mph to comply with the class 3 bike regulations. As I understand it, R mode gives you full power regardless of speed.

Thorough, concise, well organized. This should be a template for all new bike user reviews.

Great review! Thanks for all the detail. This will most likely be my first eBike after quite a bit of research and your review assuages most of my apprehension about purchasing a Juiced bicycle.

I'm a relatively tall person and need the XL frame. They have red and black in stock now. Looks like that brushed aluminum is pre-order only right now. I really like that finish and more than likely will wait.

Excellent review, wish I could write that well. Blue would have been my 1st choice of color, almost went with the brushed aluminum. Its sharp looking, instead went w/the red and am happy.

Thanks for the detailed report! Reading some of your remarks reminded me of the fun I had in the first months of owning my CCS, trying out various accessories, such as replacing the pedals with some more to my liking. I hope you have as much fun as I've had!
Thank you, and yes, too much fun! I'm sitting at work wishing I could ride right now :D

Looks good. I like that silver color and feel like it’s the better choice vs black for visibility for those who don’t care for red. S mode will pull power as you approach 28mph to comply with the class 3 bike regulations. As I understand it, R mode gives you full power regardless of speed.
The red in their advertising (which they've since taken down) looked so nice, but I tend to go for a more subtle look, so I too agree silver edges out over black in terms of visibility and not looking "murdered out." The all-black look also reminds me of much older vintage bikes like you would see on Downton Abbey.
dabike.jpg

Nice report, thank you.
No problem. I just wanted to give back so others would be more informed. I was constantly searching for reviews, pictures, etc. before I somewhat nervously pulled the trigger on my CCX. At the time, I really wished there was more information and feedback on them before I finally decided to make the purchase.

Thorough, concise, well organized. This should be a template for all new bike user reviews.
Haha, thank you for the compliment! I tried to make it useful and interesting without a lot of fluff.

Great review! Thanks for all the detail. This will most likely be my first eBike after quite a bit of research and your review assuages most of my apprehension about purchasing a Juiced bicycle.

I'm a relatively tall person and need the XL frame. They have red and black in stock now. Looks like that brushed aluminum is pre-order only right now. I really like that finish and more than likely will wait.
Glad to be of help. And good luck on waiting! Although personally, I would wait for silver too.

Excellent review, wish I could write that well. Blue would have been my 1st choice of color, almost went with the brushed aluminum. Its sharp looking, instead went w/the red and am happy.
That is too kind of you. I struggle with letting my writing flow, but when I was writing this review the words just flowed out because of my enthusiasm for the bike and the great possibility for others to improve their health with such a life-changing bicycle. I also manage a chronic disease prevention program, so this sort of stuff is what I live for.

Blue would be sweet. I would love to see matte finishes too.

Hey there! Thanks for the thorough review! I'm considering a CCX, and getting detailed owner perspectives is super-helpful.

I'm curious how your bike and your enjoyment of it are holding up now that you've gotten it a few months down the road?

Back