JBL Handlebar Speakers

bigb

Region
USA
Last edited:
No experience with the Wind, but we'll often use a friend's JBL Clip when camping. It shares the same 5W output (probably the same audio guts in a different package), and JBL has always sounded pretty balanced to me.

5W should be MORE than enough for a handlebar mounted speaker pointing at you, unless you want to relive the days of MTV's Headbanger's Ball. :)

No experience with those, but I like that the 3 has a clip in the back. I have a bumpboxx pager that I get tons of mileage out of just because of the clip (and I like the novelty of the design.) I can clip that guy on anything, it’s super handy above the “dangling” design of some ot the carabiner style speakers I’ve seen.

I am looking at the JBL Wind 2 and the Wind 3. Reviews are good on the Wind 2 but not any feedback on the Wind 3 although it may be a better speaker at $79 vs the Wind 2 at $44. I want something small but decent sound, does not have to be loud or heavy on bass, anyone tried either of these? https://www.amazon.com/JBL-Wind-Blu...cphy=9030242&hvtargid=pla-1209862172586&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09YWPY5S...colid=6V7ZCCSNW5ED&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
I use these Bose ear buds.
They don't block out outside noise and don't add to noise pollution.

I use these Bose ear buds.
They don't block out outside noise and don't add to noise pollution.
Ditto JBL Reflect Flow Pro ear buds. I find they are comfortable, secure, waterproof and allow ambient sound pass through (with the appropriate setting).

I would never consider handlebar speakers because I would consider it inconsiderate and, as you mentioned, adding to noise pollution.

Of course, opinions differ.

Last edited:
I think I'll get the Wind-3. Where I ride every day noise is not an issue, my first stretch runs along a 55 MPH Parkway with RR tracks running parallel, then over an overpass with 45 MPH traffic and trains below onto a mostly abandoned stretch of shared bike/walkway along a drainage to a big circle around a retention pond and back, 10 miles total. There are a few walkers around the retention pond but they all have their own music, some with ear buds, some not. The dozen or so homeless camps I pass usually have their own music, when they are awake.
I am not blasting Megadeath either, I like to play 50s Jazz, Latin Jazz and Bossa Nova just loud enough for me to hear it. In fact in passing it probably sounds much like earbuds, which I can hear from others as I pass if my music is off. I usually just use my phone in my shirt pocket but can't hear it along the parkway or the railway so I need a tad more volume for those areas with easy to adjust volume buttons. I don't feel comfortable with ear buds, I'm afraid I won't hear a car approaching.

I think I'll get the Wind-3. Where I ride every day noise is not an issue, my first stretch runs along a 55 MPH Parkway with RR tracks running parallel, then over an overpass with 45 MPH traffic and trains below onto a mostly abandoned stretch of shared bike/walkway along a drainage to a big circle around a retention pond and back, 10 miles total. There are a few walkers around the retention pond but they all have their own music, some with ear buds, some not. The dozen or so homeless camps I pass usually have their own music, when they are awake.
I am not blasting Megadeath either, I like to play 50s Jazz, Latin Jazz and Bossa Nova just loud enough for me to hear it. In fact in passing it probably sounds much like earbuds, which I can hear from others as I pass if my music is off. I usually just use my phone in my shirt pocket but can't hear it along the parkway or the railway so I need a tad more volume for those areas with easy to adjust volume buttons. I don't feel comfortable with ear buds, I'm afraid I won't hear a car approaching.
The ambient sound pass through for the JBL ear buds I mentioned above is actually active and so ambient sounds are not impeded. For my hearing, the ambient sounds are at least as clear as when not wearing the buds.

A disadvantage is that wind noise can sometimes be a problem at higher speeds. That may be less of an issue with handle bar speakers.

Good luck with your choice

Where I ride every day noise is not an issue, my first stretch runs along a 55 MPH Parkway with RR tracks running parallel, then over an overpass with 45 MPH traffic and trains below
Sound like a very noisy place, LOL.

That JBL speaker is cool but too expensive to ship to Ontario CA.

I bought this speaker at closeout electronics store and it's good.
I rigged up a handle bar mount to the speaker with spare bike light bar mount clamps.

The JBL did the trick, just a bit more volume so I can hear over the din. It's quite a bit bigger than I imagined it would be but where it mounts I can easily reach the "skip" and "pause" buttons with my index finger while still holding the handle grips. I didn't get the $79 one with the FM radio, there was only 1 left and by the time I had decided somebody else got it. I got the same one without the FM radio for $69. This will make a good portable speaker for other uses as well, but it ain't going to be hanging on my shirt pocket like I originally thought.

Back