Ear Warmers

bigb

Region
USA
Looking for good ear muffs that will reduce wind noise and keep my ears warm, but still allow for hearing vehicles approach from behind. It doesn't get super cold here so just blocking the wind would be enough, looking at these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YNVT4B...colid=6V7ZCCSNW5ED&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it I was wondering why nobody makes anything that would form a rearward facing "cup" which would block wind and enhance sound from the rear. Anyone found a good solution?

Balaclava as well here, ranging from a thin Under Armour model to a USGI Nomex tanker balaclava for *really* cold weather. The tanker is an inexpensive but extremely effective bit of kit for where its really cold, or cold and wet.

Also since I wear a downhill helmet, my ears are covered by the helmet itself, although I can still hear thru the vents. To fit the tanker, I just loosen the fitment ring on my helmet.

There is a product called 'cat ears' which is a fuzzy thing that fits over your helmet strap thats meant to be a windbreaker, and enhance hearing given said windbreak. I tried them but for me at least they had no useful effect.

Looking for good ear muffs that will reduce wind noise and keep my ears warm, but still allow for hearing vehicles approach from behind. It doesn't get super cold here so just blocking the wind would be enough, looking at these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YNVT4B...colid=6V7ZCCSNW5ED&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it I was wondering why nobody makes anything that would form a rearward facing "cup" which would block wind and enhance sound from the rear. Anyone found a good solution?
I use a balaclava, Bern Brentwood with winter liner. I've been down to 9°F with the setup.

Does Specialized have their own brand of helmets?
They do. However, I wear helmets from:
  • KASK: a lightweight summer helmet for the slower e-bike
  • ABUS: a heavier but stronger one intended for S-Pedelecs. It has a foldable rainproof cover
  • BELL: an MTB helmet for fast rides in rough terrain
  • UVEX: a snowboarding helmet for low temperatures.
1665638929384.png

In the Bell helmet. A balaclava duly worn!

I find that simple tape over the vents of my downhill helmet eliminates the frigid air flow to my head and turns my helmet's face guard into a nice air dam. I use painter's tape so this 'winterizing' looks a bit weird but is easy to take off in the spring without residue. This makes the helmet work down into the sub-freezing temps it gets to here - at least it did before winter stopped happening. Today is supposed to be the first day it drops below 90 fahrenheit and stays down.

“Today is supposed to be the first day it drops below 90 fahrenheit and stays down”

Oh, the humanity!

Once things get cold around here I’m another balaclava guy. If it gets absurdly cold and I’m crazy enough to go play in it, my ski helmet comes out to, but I don’t really ride much below freezing and the balaclava is perfect.

I had to look up balaclava, I thought it was an Italian pastry.
It would be a GREEK pastry... Which I definitely wouldn't recommend wearing on your head 🤣.

Extremely tangentially...My PM's mother's family is Greek, and, to attempt to carry on the cultural culinary traditions, I used to make Baklava at Christmastime. That my children called it "swearing and filo" should be a good indication of what kind of an experience THAT was 🤣🤣🤣.

Turkish or of a country formerly being in the Ottoman Empire (including Greece). You can get baklava in Bulgaria, too!
Off-topic: We laughed like mad people when we heard the Bulgarian name of "torta Garash" (Garash Cake). While "tort" has the same meaning in Polish (it is the German name for a specific cake: Torte), the word Garash sounded exactly like "garaż/garage" :D

If you like baclava try this easy recipe. I've made it several times and would never bother to buy baclava again after experiencing how quick and easy (and cheap) it is to make. It is at least as good as any baclava that I have ever eaten (including from Greektown in Detroit, years ago) and everyone who has tried what I baked based on this recipe has agreed.
As far as balaclava, I find that wind blows under the leading edges especially around glasses earpieces creating noise and cold at speed. When it's really cold I've found this more effective keeping my head and ears warm.
1704387521335.png

Back