Izip Protour 2017. Worried about the COBI

Looking to buy 2017 Izip Protour . Worried about the COBI system

• what have you heard of COBI

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Should I look at another bike

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

eddiemc

Looking to buy a 2017 Izip Protour with COBI. Hearing a lot of not so promising things about the COBI system. What have you all heard. Should I look for a different make of bikes

I've provided some feedback on a few other threads about the Cobi. Not sure how the Cobi unit mounts to the iZip bike, but at least for the Bosch setup, the Cobi hub utilizes the mounting rails for the Intuvia display. After about 4 months of use, the Cobi hub mounting rails cracked off the unit and almost dropped my phone on the ground while going 25mph. I hope they have used a more durable material that resists vibration.

Their customer service needs major improvement as they made me send the unit back to Denmark for inspection. Cobi did provide the shipping label, but lapses in communication between their outsourced customer service and headquarters made this process take almost 5 months.

Cobi is a great addition to an ebike, as their app gives the bike a real dashboard. It's easy to change tracks and navigate music, but I didn't find the navigation functions that useful as I run the same commute route every day. The thing I did like was it pushed my ride data to Strava automatically.

I've provided some feedback on a few other threads about the Cobi. Not sure how the Cobi unit mounts to the iZip bike, but at least for the Bosch setup, the Cobi hub utilizes the mounting rails for the Intuvia display. After about 4 months of use, the Cobi hub mounting rails cracked off the unit and almost dropped my phone on the ground while going 25mph. I hope they have used a more durable material that resists vibration.

Their customer service needs major improvement as they made me send the unit back to Denmark for inspection. Cobi did provide the shipping label, but lapses in communication between their outsourced customer service and headquarters made this process take almost 5 months.

Cobi is a great addition to an ebike, as their app gives the bike a real dashboard. It's easy to change tracks and navigate music, but I didn't find the navigation functions that useful as I run the same commute route every day. The thing I did like was it pushed my ride data to Strava automatically.
Have your heard of the system losing touch with bike causing the motor to quit on hills or bumps?

Have your heard of the system losing touch with bike causing the motor to quit on hills or bumps?

I didn't experience that issue over 2500 miles of riding. However, their iOS app would sometimes crash. I would experience an app crash about once every three weeks. As a 5-day a week commuter, it wasn't frequent enough to become annoying. They do push regular updates to the app and hub firmware, so current users might have a better experience.

The good thing to note, was when the app did crash, it didn't render the bike motor inoperable. The drive system powered back on.

I didn't experience that issue over 2500 miles of riding. However, their iOS app would sometimes crash. I would experience an app crash about once every three weeks. As a 5-day a week commuter, it wasn't frequent enough to become annoying. They do push regular updates to the app and hub firmware, so current users might have a better experience.

The good thing to note, was when the app did crash, it didn't render the bike motor inoperable. The drive system powered back on.
Sorry 1 more question. Will bikes with COBI operate if I choose not to use it

Not sure about the iZip integration as my experience is with the Cobi/Bosch combination. If I didn't want to use Cobi, I would revert to my Intuvia display.

Not sure about the iZip integration as my experience is with the Cobi/Bosch combination. If I didn't want to use Cobi, I would revert to my Intuvia display.
So I received my COBI. Pretty darn cool. Not sure if I'll use all the things it does. What is the cable that runs between your phone and the COBI hub called ? My phone is a Samsung 8+ and the cords sent to me are for I phones and Samsungs prior to my S8. The COBI support team is having a problem trying to figure out exactly what I need. I don' know how else to explain to them what I need.

I see. If they can’t find it, you ca try what’s called a OTG cable and then connect it to a short USB to USB-C cable.

Hey now. A lil upset. 1st issue with COBI on only my 2nd ride. Not even 2nd ride. Went to ride and COBI says it won't wake up. Rebooted phone,reset app. Still nothing. Pretty upset . Any suggestions. This is my worst fear for buying the bike with cobi

Hey now. A lil upset. 1st issue with COBI on only my 2nd ride. Not even 2nd ride. Went to ride and COBI says it won't wake up. Rebooted phone,reset app. Still nothing. Pretty upset . Any suggestions. This is my worst fear for buying the bike with cobi

Do you have the latest phone software and hub firmware? The one good thing about the Cobi people is that hey squash bugs and push firmware updates for the hub regularly.

I'm assuming that you can't operate the bike independent of the Cobi?

It won' turn on from hub or phone. Keeps flashing blue. When I hit the battery it only stays for a few seconds then turns off even tho fully charged. Keeps spinning on software updates

Sorry to hear that. I'm not sure if the Bosch version is that much different, but the only time I saw my hub unit flashing blue was when it was waiting for the phone to push a firmware update.

Best bet is to get in contact with your dealer.

I just bought mine a month ago, and had the chain broke already. IZip customer service so far, my experience was not good. Don't think I will recommend IZip. The Surface 604 sounds like a better company. I'll update more later on my experience usage with my E3 with Cobi tech.

Looking to buy a 2017 Izip Protour with COBI. Hearing a lot of not so promising things about the COBI system. What have you all heard. Should I look for a different make of bikes

I just bought mine a month ago, put more than 150 miles already, but customer service was not good experience with IZip. Also, noticed like Court reviewed, the gear change is clunky and loud which I agree, based on my own usage so far. I'm now thinking, I should have gone with Surface 604 instead, or previous generation of Stromer.

It won' turn on from hub or phone. Keeps flashing blue. When I hit the battery it only stays for a few seconds then turns off even tho fully charged. Keeps spinning on software updates
I've had the same issues a few times also. Sometimes the knobs "up, down, left to right" works, sometimes it doesn't. The electric bell also is a hit or miss. I experience this usually in the middle of my rides once I get pass 10 miles. Anyone having the same issues? Overall, I think the Cobi is not bad, but connections could be better. It still needs a lot of tweaking on rider seamless experience. I haven't had a chance to check the total miles and stats on my Cobi yet. Anyone had theirs check? Oh, I had my phone (S9+) pop out of the holder going at 12 mph. Phone survived but since then, I secure it with a crisscross elastic. One the plus side, I have use my Protour without using the Cobi and worked well too. I just don't know how many miles I've traveled. I average about 25 miles when I to cycle.

Back