I've had a crash :¬( go easy out there!!!

RobertKelly

Region
United Kingdom
I had a crash on my Silverfox 250 watter a few weeks ago a car ran into my side as we both entered a mini roundabout.
I fell to the ground, my top all wripped in agony.Went for Xrays had fractured index finger, left leg was agony
getting better now -even back on ebike after straightening handlebars.So guys go easy out there, be ultra careful
it's a minefield and those selfish car drivers don't give a damn. I have invested in a High Viz vest and Helmet,
so hopefuly my e-cycling future will be accident free!!!
Rob

Robert, Thank you. Last Spring a large dog on a 4 meter leash crossed a bike path and jumped on me. I crashed badly. I was doing 45Km/H. I could have easily broken my collar bone and ended up in an emergency room during the pandemic. That made me more wary. I limped for weeks, I avoided medical attention yet still rode as the scabs healed. My friends called me Rainbow Man because of the colors of my bruises. I was riding my three-speed with a mid-drive. The second mid-drive bike is faster. I do high-visibility on narrow group ride roads.

Attachments

• unionjackH2o1b.JPG
    unionjackH2o1b.JPG
    284.1 KB · Views: 229
  • Chisel01.JPG
    Chisel01.JPG
    627.2 KB · Views: 259
  • Chisel02.JPG
    Chisel02.JPG
    250.8 KB · Views: 254
  • 021821ChVal.jpg
    021821ChVal.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 239
Sorry about your injury. We all risk death daily to avoid warming the globe with our rides.
I've had to add 4 miles to my commute and 2 large hills to avoid a "roundabout" installed in 2017. They are called traffic circles here. The 40 ton trucks blast straight through at 50 mph crossing all 3 lanes entering & leaving, destroying a number of cars in the process. I wouldn't stand a chance. The car drivers never read the part of the driver's manual about "yield to traffic on the right": ie cars entering the circle have the right of way. And no thought of an underpass for pedestrians as UK had installed under Gant's Hill roundabout in Essex, for example.

Last edited:
Sorry about your injury. We all risk death daily to avoid warming the globe with our rides.
I've had to add 4 miles to my commute and 2 large hills to avoid a "roundabout" installed in 2017. They are called traffic circles here. The 40 ton trucks blast straight through at 50 mph crossing all 3 lanes entering & leaving, destroying a number of cars in the process. I wouldn't stand a chance. The car drivers never read the part of the driver's manual about "yield to traffic on the right": ie cars entering the circle have the right of way. And no thought of an underpass for pedestrians as UK had installed under Gant's Hill roundabout in Essex, for example.
That does sound truly daunting! Happy to stick to my mostly rural routine (and retired).

I just saw images of the three-way double lane roundabout at Grant's Hill. It is nasty.
Bikes here can go fast enough to go with the flow for short periods. I can cross an intersection ahead of the cars because I have better acceleration if not the same top speed.

I am getting better now, I have a claim in process with a personal injury solicitor, fingers crossed I might get a payout, if I get £1500 or so I will for sure be getting a car, it adds so much more to your life>Maybe even a new ebike as well, see what happens.It's a longshot like.
Rob

Sorry to hear. After many years of motorcycles and bicycles, I just avoid traffic like the plague. Yet it’s still easy to find ways to crash and get injured, even when going fairly slow. Best of luck going forward!

Thanks for reply, I intend to make it my last crash, it was relatively slow maybe 10-15 kmph but it don't matter it hurts like hell, cant imagine what crashing at 30 kmph would be like, definitely break many bones, potentially life threatening.It's just like you say there are hazards everywhere, you really got to be alert, car drivers SUCK big time, selfish BA**ARDS excuse my language !!! I deserve to able to vent off about them!!!
Anyway I have invested in High viZ VEST AND HELMET, cheap items which can make all the difference.
Hopefully soon I will be back in a car myself.
Rob

Out in the hills of the Wine Country of Northern California riders contend with distracted tourists in rental SUVs who have been tasting wine. We also have a rural contingent of persons of diminutive stature who compensate for this by aggressively driving huge trucks with cattle guards on the front. Some of these trucks are rigged to put out huge clouds of black soot. It is really bad when this happens.
. But it is funny to see the driver of one of these trucks get out. They are the size of 11-year old boys, have a sickly pallor, gigantic guts, and have Captain Fantastic platform boots with extra-high heals. Just that is compensation enough and worth a good laugh. I would rather die riding a bike than be stuck in a truck.

Out in the hills of the Wine Country of Northern California riders contend with distracted tourists in rental SUVs who have been tasting wine. We also have a rural contingent of persons of diminutive stature who compensate for this by aggressively driving huge trucks with cattle guards on the front. Some of these trucks are rigged to put out huge clouds of black soot. It is really bad when this happens.
. But it is funny to see the driver of one of these trucks get out. They are the size of 11-year old boys, have a sickly pallor, gigantic guts, and have Captain Fantastic platform boots with extra-high heals. Just that is compensation enough and worth a good laugh. I would rather die riding a bike than be stuck in a truck.
Idiots and miscreants come in all flavors, including drivers, cyclists, pedestrians and (especially) private small plane pilots. I drive a F350 diesel, bought it 17 years ago and have used it for a truck camper, hauling landscaping material for my yard (well over 3,000# without a problem in the truck bed), even pulled a couple tree stumps with it, as well as using it to drive to work. It is a beast but it doesn't put out plumes of smoke, was considered ultra low emissions when I bought it and has never failed emissions testing, has a quarter of a million miles on it and runs like new and gets 17+mpg which is pretty impressive for a 8,000# vehicle, better than my wife's Xterra. I'll never buy another truck because I don't have much of a need for one anymore but I have no plans to get rid of the one I have until it has some major mechanical failure. I read somewhere that the motor in my truck was designed to last 500,000 miles I hope to have it for some time.

Idiots and miscreants come in all flavors, including drivers, cyclists, pedestrians and (especially) private small plane pilots. I drive a F350 diesel, bought it 17 years ago and have used it for a truck camper, hauling landscaping material for my yard (well over 3,000# without a problem in the truck bed), even pulled a couple tree stumps with it, as well as using it to drive to work. It is a beast but it doesn't put out plumes of smoke, was considered ultra low emissions when I bought it and has never failed emissions testing, has a quarter of a million miles on it and runs like new and gets 17+mpg which is pretty impressive for a 8,000# vehicle, better than my wife's Xterra. I'll never buy another truck because I don't have much of a need for one anymore but I have no plans to get rid of the one I have until it has some major mechanical failure. I read somewhere that the motor in my truck was designed to last 500,000 miles I hope to have it for some time.
Yeah but for everyone of you, there’s a ton of other as*holes just like the video portrays.

Yeah but for everyone of you, there’s a ton of other as*holes just like the video portrays.
There does seem to be a lot of them. I don't get the popularity of lighter duty half ton trucks. They seem like the worst of all worlds, most look to be driven as open back SUVs for people who don't even have a real functional need for a truck and they can't handle the really heavy work anyway despite flowery advertising. For where I live 4wd is a requirement but if it wasn't I'd be driving a Prius if for purely automotive transportation needs. Too bad someone wasn't wearing a helmet cam to document the truck in the video and report it. A truck running like that has almost certainly had illegal modification of pollution control devices. But for someone like that even if their truck was taken away they would find many other ways to express their inner idiocy.

I had a crash on my Silverfox 250 watter a few weeks ago a car ran into my side as we both entered a mini roundabout.
I fell to the ground, my top all wripped in agony.Went for Xrays had fractured index finger, left leg was agony
getting better now -even back on ebike after straightening handlebars.So guys go easy out there, be ultra careful
it's a minefield and those selfish car drivers don't give a damn. I have invested in a High Viz vest and Helmet,
so hopefuly my e-cycling future will be accident free!!!
Rob
Yup, it´s a jungle out there. Still not 100% after slamming my shoulder to the concrete near a year ago,
but the alternative was being flattened by a guy than ran a stop sign. Maybe some day our infrastructure
will be geared for the safety of cyclists & pedestrians. ´Til then a guy on a bike in traffic is like a fawn chased
by a pack of hungry wolves.

I couldn't agree with you more, 100% right -the hole system is geared towards cars, we need more cycle lanes to keep cyclists well away from cars, who are just totally selfish even reckless nowadays. we are just cannon fodder for them.Be caereful my friend and wear a high viz and helmet as I do now, cheap but effective safety items. Governments globally want more cyclists, because we are ecofriendly, so more cycle lanes would help. Rob

Two words. Running lights. If you don't have them, consider that people are "annoyed" by bikes. So my strategy is to give them extra time to deal with a bike by being visible at least 20-30 seconds BEFORE the have to maneuver. Give them the courtesy of being highly visible and they often return the courtesy by giving you a wider birth.

I am Running Lights all the time!
It is true that if you are so obvious with bright colors and flashing lights it takes away the excuse that, "I didn't see the bike."
Having good tires and brakes, a good lightweight balanced handling bike, and enough power to get out of trouble, are important factors too.

I am Running Lights all the time!
It is true that if you are so obvious with bright colors and flashing lights it takes away the excuse that, "I didn't see the bike."
Having good tires and brakes, a good lightweight balanced handling bike, and enough power to get out of trouble, are important factors too.
I dunno how I ever got the courage to cross a busy road without a throttle. I´ve got running lights, but
if they didn´t see my day-glow vest that little blinky won´t help either. I stick to quiet residential streets
as much as possible, but sometimes the hwy. is unavoidable.

I dunno how I ever got the courage to cross a busy road without a throttle
I do this everyday without any throttle. Low gear before re-starting the ride is the key.
It rather surprises me to hear somebody didn't wear a helmet. High visibility clothes and bike lighting also help.
1615186541655.png

Three of four cyclists seen here wear helmets and can be seen from a long distance. See the fourth guy? (Hardly. No helmet, no high-vis gear).

Back