It's time to make Tucson's Loop an ebike tour destination...here's why

CycloTucson

Region
USA
The Loop Trail in Tucson - It's true that Pima County does not yet allow ebikes unless ADA-permitted. BUT the connected Loop trail sections in Oro Valley and Marana not only permit ebikes, they encourage them if ridden responsibly - as our Forum members always do! These details are in a new book just out called The Loop-Atlas and Guidebook (Amazon Kindle and paperback). I got one and its full of color maps and lists hundreds of places on or near The Loop to eat, get coffee, a beer, parks, hotels, RV parks, even bike shops.
But most important, I confirmed what the book said about ebikes being OK with both OV and Marana Parks and Rec. Its true that you can ride on the 30 miles of their combined and mostly adjacent sections of The Loop. Those sections are also connected to about 40 miles of additional shared use trail both towns built. It's all connected to the Loop. There's also a great state park Catalina State Park right on the Loop where you can ebike as well. Just to be certain, I also called the PD liasons in both towns and they agreed. They've never issued a ticket for riding an ebike and won't unless you are riding recklessly. Seems fair. I also heard that Pima County may be reviewing their stance on ebikes soon after getting a recommendation to relax the prohibition from a prominent local Bicycle Advisory Group. It would certainly be a step in the right direction. If you think so too, consider posting something on Pima County's Loop feedback comment line.
Finally, a friend sent me this link to an interview from local TV station last week https://bit.ly/3Ivd0s7 Looks like the book is now a #1 New Release on Amazon. Maybe it's finally time to plan that long-overdue return to Tucson this winter.

Pima Co needs to take a look at other highly successful MUPslike The Monon Trail in and around Indianapolis. Bigger city...allows e-bikes. Even promotes ebike rentals on their website. Just begin enforcing a speed limit for all...that is real safety...not this perceived fear. Make it a true transportation route, not just for the roadie training (who go much faster than most ebikes.) Let grandma and grandpa on with their ebikes instead of relegating them to be killed on the streets.
Added 05/2022 I was planning on wintering in Tucson but just canceled the reservation as I don't want to use roadways to get aroind on my etrike. Yes I am a recent ebike convert and I have ridden many hundreds of peddling miles on the Loop over the past 15 years. Hope others bypass Tucson for the winter too. Just like spring baseball ..so long.

Last edited:
Just spent a month in Tucson and clocked 250 miles on the loop. pedal assist e-bikes are legal per tucsonloop.org. Many e-bike rental shops. The safety issue on the loop imo is really the pros training at 28-30+ mph. There was a head on collision between two analog cyclists last year, one died.

I'd skip the Tucson MTB trails, as EVERY plant there wants to put a serious hurtin on you.

Tucson is fantastic in winter, outstanding tex-mex food!

I live in Tucson and agree about the cycling here - it is utterly fantastic (one reason I moved here after I retired). As is the cuisine - it is rated a UNESCO creative city of gastronomy. I ride on the Loop 3x a week at least, on acoustic bikes, about 3-400 mi/month. Just bought a Trek Domane+ to see how well they work. I could use a little assistance when the wind comes up on my return, or when my feet get sore on long rides.. Might even try Mt Lemmon, haha.

We rode a one-day, ~50 mile portion of the loop in April (we winter in Gold Canyon, Tucson is ~1.5 hrs away). Decent ride but no better than trails in other nearby desert communities. We found the scenery (overgrown washes, etc.) detracted from the experience. Tempe/Scottsdale trails are our favorites. Cave Creek, Queen Creek, etc. all very nice trails.

I live in Tucson and agree about the cycling here - it is utterly fantastic (one reason I moved here after I retired). As is the cuisine - it is rated a UNESCO creative city of gastronomy. I ride on the Loop 3x a week at least, on acoustic bikes, about 3-400 mi/month. Just bought a Trek Domane+ to see how well they work. I could use a little assistance when the wind comes up on my return, or when my feet get sore on long rides.. Might even try Mt Lemmon, haha.
I too live in Tucson, AZ. For years I have wanted to haul my bike to to the top Mt Lemon and ride down but never have.
If anyone has please comment on the ride.

The Loop Trail in Tucson - It's true that Pima County does not yet allow ebikes unless ADA-permitted. BUT the connected Loop trail sections in Oro Valley and Marana not only permit ebikes, they encourage them if ridden responsibly - as our Forum members always do! These details are in a new book just out called The Loop-Atlas and Guidebook (Amazon Kindle and paperback). I got one and its full of color maps and lists hundreds of places on or near The Loop to eat, get coffee, a beer, parks, hotels, RV parks, even bike shops.
But most important, I confirmed what the book said about ebikes being OK with both OV and Marana Parks and Rec. Its true that you can ride on the 30 miles of their combined and mostly adjacent sections of The Loop. Those sections are also connected to about 40 miles of additional shared use trail both towns built. It's all connected to the Loop. There's also a great state park Catalina State Park right on the Loop where you can ebike as well. Just to be certain, I also called the PD liasons in both towns and they agreed. They've never issued a ticket for riding an ebike and won't unless you are riding recklessly. Seems fair. I also heard that Pima County may be reviewing their stance on ebikes soon after getting a recommendation to relax the prohibition from a prominent local Bicycle Advisory Group. It would certainly be a step in the right direction. If you think so too, consider posting something on Pima County's Loop feedback comment line.
Finally, a friend sent me this link to an interview from local TV station last week https://bit.ly/3Ivd0s7 Looks like the book is now a #1 New Release on Amazon. Maybe it's finally time to plan that long-overdue return to Tucson this winter

On any given day, over 30 percent of the bikes on The Tucson Loop are electric bikes. And there are several bike rental players on The Loop including TucsonLoopBikeRentals.com. Pima County did have rules against e-bikes in the past but they are now passe. Tucson Police refused to enforce the rules and they have even gone as far as encouraging e-bikes. E-bikes on the CDO trails going to Marana and Oro Valley have never had any rules or issues. E-bikes, electric scooters and skateboards are very popular.

More good info here.

BikeArizona.org, the site of The Arizona Bicycle Association, says that e-bike usage is up 20 percent or so over the past few years. Ride safe and enjoy The Tucson Loop!

Finally, a friend sent me this link to an interview from local TV station last week https://bit.ly/3Ivd0s7 Looks like the book is now a #1 New Release on Amazon. Maybe it's finally time to plan that long-overdue return to Tucson this winter.
That is Randolph Ford's book and it is an excellent read. I recommend starting at Catalina State Park, hopping on The Loop and letting loose.

I think that if word got out it would appeal to snowbirds trapped in ice for six months.

Hey, I’m seriously considering a week or so midwinter - it’s really become quite a winter destination, evidenced by many journals in CrazyGuy and Cycleblaze. A little different than Saratoga and the lower Adirondacks.

Hey, I’m seriously considering a week or so midwinter - it’s really become quite a winter destination, evidenced by many journals in CrazyGuy and Cycleblaze. A little different than Saratoga and the lower Adirondacks.
I guess that means you won't need your Adirondack. But then there is going back for ice fishing! I grew up in Upstate NY.
1692316885895.jpeg
1692317074261.jpeg
or
1692317153014.jpeg

Driving up near the Canadian border today with grandson for a college tour at Clarkson, and the annual sexist guys fishing 4 day trip to Upper Saranac (the Fish & Puke trip, a fine tradition of 30+ years) is October. Plus the whole Fall season of bike riding here and over next door in Vermont! We love living around here, but winter has lost its luster since I stopped skiing about ten years ago.

Back