Is there a way to charge phone from Easy Motion bike?

gvbraj

Hi,
I have Evo Street 2016, is there a way to charge smart phone (USB) using bike battery?
Thanks
Raj

Not that we know of. It is a feature I would like to have, and many other manufacturers already offer. Especially when riding new forest trails, I'd like to have my phone in a holder and plugged in for GPS mapping.

Hi Jorgen,
But I read someone writing in one of the blog biker used Evo battery to charge smartphone. I was curious to know.
Thanks
Raj

That would require some custom DC 36V to 5V stepdown converter, and drilling the bike frame to accommodate a USB plug of some sort on the frame, or dangling a lead out of one of the available cable routing holes near the head tube.

Hi,
I have Evo Street 2016, is there a way to charge smart phone (USB) using bike battery?
Thanks
Raj
I charge an iPhone with the shimano Dynamo hub that came with the 2015 street.
I replaced the stock light with an AXA luxx 70 plus light that has a USB port. A Switch on the light can be used to switch between USB charging and light output. The phone is mounted on the bars. This setup basically works, except when stopping and restarting, an error message sometimes pops up on the iPhone and the charging stops. In these cases, I have to unplug the phone and plug it in again to resume charging. I read commentary from some Android users who did not encounter this issue. I also saw a small cache battery for bikes on Amazon that can be mounted to the bike stem, accepts a USB charge and can be used to charge a phone. I think this would solve the issue I encountered. There is also Busch and Muller Dynamo, luxos light with USB charging capability that is more expensive that the AXA, but includes the "cache" battery. Links below have some discussions and comparisons of these two USB charging lights.

http://www.bikeforums.net/electroni...os-u-mini-review-generator-light-sceptic.html

http://www.bikeforums.net/electroni...-available-amazon-us-luxos-u-alternative.html

I have an external battery pack charger, which can charge my smartphone up to about 2.5 times from empty. It's small, it's compact, and it works well. It's also more economical than trying to change out components on the bike to rig something up. I've never run out of phone power completely though I can see how it could happen on rides longer than 2 hours and using GPS and other apps.

Little bit of trolling here .... Why is 30-hour battery life inadequate ??

Thirty hours would be under regular use. If you're riding with your phone, you'll likely have the screen on very bright due to bring outside, and running the GPS constantly. That will cut the battery time to hours if you don't have additional juice!

Agree with @PowerMe here, an external battery pack is the easiest option.

I agree, GPS phone apps can drain the phone battery fairly quickly while riding. The Easy Motion Bluetooth module app also drains the phone battery quickly. For those using the external phone battery pack charger, does it mount to the bike? How long does it take to recharge the phone? Another benefit of upgrading the stock dynamo light is that the increased light output with a 70 lux light is more effective when riding in the dark than the stock 15 lux light.

It would probably be easiest to mount with a small handlebar bag of some sort and run a wire to the mounted phone.

Alternately, I've ordered one of these, which I think will be fun to use for directions on bike (and provide a bit of security in the form of an audible alarm).

https://www.smarthalo.bike/

My guess is it takes about 2 hrs to fully charge my phone from an external charging pack. I've never had to do that during a ride, though. My rides are less than 2 hours in elapsed time and I still have some phone power left upon completing.

Looks like a number of us have been driven to mini-portable battery packs for one reason or another. This is another common brand of battery banks among some of us who fly into more remote areas to camp, hike, etc. but might find a cell signal available, might want to enjoy what the tablet or phone provides while there, and yet would want the power available to do our flight planning before departure.

Back