Is the "upshift" level on my Flow installed backwards?

PatriciaK

Region
USA
City
Pacific Northwest and Piedmont Triad
My understanding from the EBR video was, too upshift, I would pull back on the level (towards me), and to downshift I would push forward on the larger lever (away from me).

But, as you can see, the way it's installed, both levers face me, and I need to push forward to upshift, which requires kind of reaching under/past the downshift lever.

Is that correct?
IMG_20210409_101035897.jpg

I would bring this up with your mechanic. Have him bring his allen wrench set with him and show him your issue. I suspect the shift arms need to be rotated towards you a bit? Shifting up and down should be pretty easy if they're positioned correctly/so your thumb doesn't have to do anything that's not natural. No right/wrong here. Just what's comfortable/works. -Al

I would bring this up with your mechanic. Have him bring his allen wrench set with him and show him your issue. I suspect the shift arms need to be rotated towards you a bit? Shifting up and down should be pretty easy if they're positioned correctly/so your thumb doesn't have to do anything that's not natural. No right/wrong here. Just what's comfortable/works. -Al
Thanks, Al - it's not hard, just backwards from what I expected and from my La Free 😉.

I have 2 bikes as well, and of course they shift night and day differently. I get it!

Like you one does a push/pull, while the other is push push - and they are both Shimano!

Starting out on a ride can be interesting...thinking about how the darn bike shifts/how to get to the next gear, and rest assured, I grab the wrong one on occasion.

Al's correct.. I think it just needs to be positioned better so your thumb reaches it easily.
I actually prefer the both push with thumb style shifters over others. Once you get it sitting correctly I think you will learn to like it.

Looks like he rotated it to put your bell on.

You should see the gear indicator facing you and the levers are underneath the grip so when you hold the grip, pushing forward on the big lever with your thumb shifts to higher lower gears and pulling back on the small lever on the other side down up shifts.

Edit: Sorry got this backwards.

Last edited:
Looks like he rotated it to put your bell on.

You should see the gear indicator facing you and the levers are underneath the grip so when you hold the grip, pushing forward on the big lever with your thumb shifts to higher gears and pulling back on the small lever on the other side down shifts.
Nope - it was that way before the bell. I have to push forward on the small lever to upshift, and push forward on the larger lever to downshift.

I can have my mechanic adjust the angle - just wanted to be sure pushing both levers is standard on this bike...

I think that's the standard for this shifter - one lever for upshifts, one for downshifts, actuated by push - i.e. no pull.

That is correct. Many SRAM shifters are Push Push. Shimano is Push Pull. Many SRAM do not have an indicator. You know by feel and by looking back between your feet at the cassette.
1618003148192.png
1618003231512.png

Al's correct.. I think it just needs to be positioned better so your thumb reaches it easily.
I actually prefer the both push with thumb style shifters over others. Once you get it sitting correctly I think you will learn to like it.
I've not ridden more then 3 miles at a time, and I live in Florida where a "big hill" is 3 degree incline for 1 minute, but so far I've rarely even switched out of the highest gear.

I still wouldn't want one, but I totally see now why more than a handful of ebikes just went the "no gears" route. (At least so long as you had a throttle to get going.)

I've not ridden more then 3 miles at a time, and I live in Florida where a "big hill" is 3 degree incline for 1 minute, but so far I've rarely even switched out of the highest gear.

I still wouldn't want one, but I totally see now why more than a handful of ebikes just went the "no gears" route. (At least so long as you had a throttle to get going.)
I can show you several sections of Florida where you would be REALLY glad you have a choice of gears available for your hill arsenal.....

I live in the middle of one of them. Before I learned about e-bikes the wife and I had pretty much given up on riding our bikes. We need to go several miles in all directions to get out of these rolling coastal hills, but once we do, it's like you say - flat!

I can show you several sections of Florida where you would be REALLY glad you have a choice of gears available for your hill arsenal.....

I live in the middle of one of them. Before I learned about e-bikes the wife and I had pretty much given up on riding our bikes. We need to go several miles in all directions to get out of these rolling coastal hills, but once we do, it's like you say - flat!
I hear you... I live in a valley and no matter what direction I decide to go... The first few miles are up hill.
Hail to the eBike!

MicroShift shifters also like to Push it... Push it real good...
I like the MicroShift. They work well and are dirt cheep. Great for an older bike who's shifters are shot. I can often revitalize old shifters by opening the cable hole plug (is that what it is called?) and injecting in silicone gel. Works like a charm.
These lyrics about these shifters were ripped off from that Elizabethan guy from Stafford upon Avon.
Ah
Ah, push it
Push-push-push it, push it
Push it, Push-push-push it, push it
Push it, push it
Push it, push it, push it
Push it, push it
Push it, push it, push it

To shift replies; I do not live in FL. Because of all the seismic activity it is hilly out West by the Sea. Yet amazing to ride with an eBike. https://pjammcycling.com/climb/388.Fort Ross Road West

That is correct. Many SRAM shifters are Push Push. Shimano is Push Pull. Many SRAM do not have an indicator. You know by feel and by looking back between your feet at the cassette.
View attachment 84344View attachment 84345
Ahh yes. I was looking at my Sport but that's when they were using Shimano.

@PatriciaK If you have the SRAM it will be different from your manual and you won't have a gear indicator.

It is funny that you mention it. This one came in today. One speed.
The battery is shot. But there is a bigger problem. The controller is under the battery in that little compartment. I can do the battery part but am having a buddy with more hub experience check the controller's wiring so I can order the right one and solder it in a cell phone storage sack under the down tube. The controller could have exacerbated the battery issue. Swapping both will help. The hills cannot be helped.
Ahh yes. I was looking at my Sport but that's when they were using Shimano.

@PatriciaK If you have the SRAM it will be different from your manual and you won't have a gear indicator.
Off topic but just sent to me: https://10things4you.com/wp-content...Eyp_dFS_fdbeLHMpuQs35adTV9X6JyS_4JzgeXWrtCh6A

Attachments

• OneSpHubDrive01.JPG
    OneSpHubDrive01.JPG
    380.4 KB · Views: 280
  • OneSpHubDrive03.JPG
    OneSpHubDrive03.JPG
    306.3 KB · Views: 279
Back