Intro & Supercharger 2 rear wheel question

sammcneill

Region
New Zealand
Hi all

Sam from New Zealand here & I have a Supercharger 2 with Enviolo & Belt Drive with High Speed option. I absolutely love it and you can read my reflections here:

I do have a question though. As alluded to in my post, I don’t have the best repair skills but i was determined to practice changing my rear wheel out before going on longer rides so I could do it confidently when I needed to. I got my dad to assist (he’s pretty good in these areas).

getting the wheel off and detaching the two cables that control the Enviolo hub was easy - easier than I thought actually and on par with a standard derailleur drive train that I’ve done many times.

however, reattaching the second cable “lock” was an absolute mission as it was always about 1cm too “short”. We had changed nothing in the bike config between removing the wheel and returning it, but could not get the cable to reattach.

in the end, we changed into the “highest” gear by twisting the grip shifter so the dial was in the flat position, and this only just allowed us to reattach the second cable. However, something was clearly not right, as with the wheel secured, I couldn’t change gears anymore - the shifter was super tight and “graunched” if I tried to twist it.

i wanted the bike for over Christmas / New Year so had my wife drop it off for repair at the LBS I bought it from and they fixed it overnight for $50 so it can’t have been a major. I was working so didn’t have a chance to talk to them about what I’d clearly done wrong.

so I’m wondering if anyone has much experience with removing Enviolo hubs and successfully reconnecting the gear cables? I had a Pashley with a Shimano internal hub that required you to be in a certain gear for best alignment when removing the wheel so I wonder if there are any tips and tricks I need here??

thanks in advance!

sam

Hi Sam,

I have also a Supercharger 2 and I use this video :

Sorry that's the language is in dutch but I think the video is helpful.

Rob

Hi Sam,

I have also a Supercharger 2 and I use this video :

Sorry that's the language is in dutch but I think the video is helpful.

Rob
Thanks Rob!
that was helpful & seemed to indicate:

1) putting the bike in high gear (pulling the gear shifter towards the rider)

2) unscrewing the gear cables “lock” near the handle bars (although the video didn’t show these being reconnected when the process was being reversed)

ultimately, the video indicated a LOT more slack in the second cable compared to what I experienced...

Have you followed this video when removing the rear wheel? Ever encounter not enough cable slack to reconnect?

many thanks!

Hi Sam,

I did indeed use this video as some sort of guidance when I took out my rear wheel.
No I don't encounter not enough cable slack when assemble the wheel.

nice blog!

Rob

Have a yellow SC2 myself with Rolhoff e14/gates carbon belt, my previous bike had the enviolo. The gear range on the Rolhoff is much wider, hills which were a real challenge with the enviolo are a snap with the Rolhoff.Keep in mind i have a couple of disorders which severely weaken my legs. Even with that I’ve done 18% grades in turbo and gears 1-4 depending on how hard i can push (varies day to day). Bit OT but the SC2 is a great bike.

Back