Insurance for E-Bikes

Steve5767

I am sure this topic has been discussed before, however, since I am new to the group, I need your assistance with finding insurance for my bike. My insurance agent has checked with my carrier, Travelers, and all of the insurance companies he carries and none of them would cover the bike. My biggest fear is that our umbrella coverage is also off the table. It just does not make sense to me that a motor assisted bicycle is not covered. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

More than a few threads on this:

There are more. These are the most recent. I use Velosurance (underwritten by Markel) for my commuter bikes and my cargo bike. Coverage through my homeowners was dubious and if covered, it was mostly just for theft. Wouldn't cover the bike if it was damaged in an accident, which, as a commuter, seemed to me a possibility as likely as theft. Bikes I use more for leisure I do not have on the Velosurance policy and if a loss were to occur, I would try to claim it on the homeowners.

I just went thru this, I had Travelers for my homeowners won't cover anything with a motor. Had to switch to American Family Ins, in their policy it defines bicycle as including class 2 e-bikes. for $51 for 2 Platinum Intercepters we named the asset which allow me to set a 100 deductible. So I have liability that extends to wherever I ride and have what amounts to comprehensive coverage. Do side no medical or or collision. Plus side I save about $1000 on the policy and no longer have 2500 deductible on wind and hail damage

Back