I’m fitting a 750 watt, 48 v Bafang … should I use a 500 watt instead? It’s in a Raleigh e-bike with a bad motor. It’s for a Senior citizen.

reino14

Region
USA
Raleigh was Class 1, 350 watt. I would do this only for safety and control ability. While I have the time should I exchange this for a 500 watt kit. I know some adjustments can be made, but should I have ordered the 500 watt kit, as more suitable for older rider. I’m fairly competent technically and am a Mac user. Thanks for your comments … Reino

Welcome. I don't think anyone would really notice the difference between 500W and 750W. They both have plenty of torque. To clarify, is it a mid-drive or a hub motor? That could make a difference with the 500W hub being smaller and lighter for better control and handling.

The only software for MAC is either from Grin or for BBSxx series motors. Assuming by MAC you mean MAC book, not MAC motors.

PedalUma ... it's a mid-drive Bafang 750 watt. First time for me with ebike, although I've read a lot. My thoughts being about toning down the motor if needed. Can I limit current for both less jolt, and extended battery usage Senior person to operate, I'm a Senior too, but think of your grandmother. Also, can I set limits, etc. I'm a Mac user. Is this easy to do? Maybe the PAS setting will do it .... I'm hoping that Thank you. Reino

I meant Apple Mac computer. Decided to stay with the 750 watt motor. But with a PC, not Mac, is making changes to the motor control (reducing speeds) reasonably easy? Or is this an issue ...?

Thanks tomjazz, PedalUma,

Reino

I don't think the 750W will be an issue at all. With mid drive, all the senior has to do for less power is either not pedal as hard or reduce the pedal assist setting. It's not like the ebike is going to take off and run away with the person.... unlike the horse my family had when I was growing up. 😬

NO, the 750 is a better choice, you can simply use less PAS, 500 is for when you cant afford a 750.

500 is for when
You can get 36V and more mileage without sacrificing speed. I own or have owned 3 BBSHD, 2 36V 350W, 48V 750W BBS02, 52V BBS02B, BBS01B 36V 250W, and a new 36V BBS01B 500W. It has f*ck all to do with cost. But yes the 750W can be dumbed down for longevity lower the amps.

You can get 36V and more mileage without sacrificing speed. I own or have owned 3 BBSHD, 2 36V 350W, 48V 750W BBS02, 52V BBS02B, BBS01B 36V 250W, and a new 36V BBS01B 500W. It has f*ck all to do with cost. But yes the 750W can be dumbed down for longevity lower the amps.
My mistake, i didnt even know he was talking about mid drives, i should have read the OP closer, thought he was comparing a Bafang 500watt hubmotor/fake 750 to true 750watt Bafang Hub motor, these 2 motors have been pulled apart and compared in every way and imo there is zero reason to purchase the 500 unless you dont have enough cash for the 750. Bafang Middrives are a completely different story as they are all very capable when used correctly.

Back