HyperScrambler 2 Announced w/ 2 Battery Option

I wish they would just classify bikes like this as MoPed's instead of eBikes. This example has all the DOT/NHTSA goodies like mirrors, full lighting kit and one would assume a horn and with a VIN would fit better into that category although it means additional requirements. There is no shame in having one of these modern MoPeds but their access zones are different but are also allowed to go up to 30mph legally in most states.

I wish they would just classify bikes like this as MoPed's instead of eBikes. This example has all the DOT/NHTSA goodies like mirrors, full lighting kit and one would assume a horn and with a VIN would fit better into that category although it means additional requirements. There is no shame in having one of these modern MoPeds but their access zones are different but are also allowed to go up to 30mph legally in most states.

In my state that would require a motorcycle license which I don't really have the interest in obtaining. It would also limit where I can take it. I don't disagree with what you're saying but I'm not going to champion for it either.

I saw one of these on the local rail trail Sunday evening at dusk. The very young rider was blinding everyone with the motorcycle size headlight. I don't know if it has a high and low beam headlight, but it was crazy bright and dangerous to oncoming bike riders. I like the bike, I'd like to have one of these higher power bikes to ride off road on ORV trails. It is illegal to ride it on bike trails in PA. It will be a problem here when we all get lumped in together. It took a year of work for us to get ebikes allowed on the trails here.

"It would also limit where I can take it."

It already does because it exceeds all eBike law, Class or otherwise in all states. You are certainly able to feel otherwise but too many people using these things as eBikes and it will cause issues for eBike access.

New York
A limited use motorcycle having a maximum performance speed between 30 mph and 40 mph shall be a class A limited use motorcycle. A limited use motorcycle having a maximum performance speed between 20 mph and 30 mph shall be a Class B limited use motorcycle. A limited use motorcycle having a maximum performance speed of not more than 20 mph shall be a Class C limited use motorcycle.

A registration issued to a Class B or Class C limited use motorcycle shall be valid only for operation on roads in the right-hand lane available for traffic, or upon a usable shoulder on the right side of the highway. This does not apply when the motorcycle operator is preparing to make a left turn.

A limited use motorcycle shall be subject to the equipment requirements that are applicable to a motorcycle.
A certificate of title is not required for a limited use motorcycle.

The following safety equipment is required: approved protective helmet and eye protection, except for moped classified as Class C limited use motorcycles. Brake acting on both wheels, horn, headlamp, tail lamp, number plate lamp, tires with at least 2/32-inch tread, 1 rear red reflector, muffler, and rearview mirror.

North Carolina
To drive a moped, no license is required, but the operator must be at least 16 years of age.
Mopeds need to be registered and operators need liability insurance.

Although it doesn't say you need a motorcycle endorsement in New York in all the other states I got this clip from some don't require any license at all, or just a regular license but registration and liability insurance seems to be popular.

You might as well get an Onyx RCR. If you're gonna get an illegal vehicle, might as well go balls to the wall. Plus it just looks tons better.

Tora probably didn't have to do too much work to rebadge a scrambler with a new motor and a second battery hookup.

That said, I think this thing will be quasi legal. Cap speed at 28 or 30 (where moped laws permit, eg California), keep the pedals on and you're fine.

If these get delivered starting in November, I imagine Tora will announce something new in January-February.

Yeah I already know it exceeds the regulations. I'm saying that riding it responsibility as a bike on a trail going 15-20mph won't get a second look. But if I had to register it with tags then there would be no chance in hell of riding it on a trail without getting noticed. I'm not sure I'm articulating my point correctly here. Yes people will be irresponsible. But if you apply basic etiquette you can get away with plenty here where I'm from. Once it requires plates, all bets are off.

Has anyone ever been penalized for riding these things where they aren't supposed to?

Lol FWIW Juiced frequently exhibits illegal riding, like running Class 3 ebikes on bike paths (illegal in CA).

More details from Electrek...

With a top speed of “30+ mph” (we saw Tora hitting 32.7 mph or 52.6 km/h in a testing video) as well as a 1,000W continuous and 2,000W peak custom Retroblade motor, the HyperScorpion 2 isn’t messing around.
It also has a jaw-dropping 100+ mile (160+ km) range rating, thanks to a pair of 52V 19.2 Ah batteries. Those dual batteries add up to 2,000 Wh of capacity, or 3-4x the average e-bike’s capacity. Hell, that’s more battery capacity than an electric motorcycle I had and more range than a lot of compliance electric cars!

i wonder what the weight is. IMO, it's fun to see Juiced and Ariel rider compete on scramblers.
And don't forget Super73. I think that their S2 is the best looking of the bunch (especially the blue one with the brown accents). And they've also got full suspension if that's what you want.

And don't forget Super73. I think that their S2 is the best looking of the bunch (especially the blue one with the brown accents). And they've also got full suspension if that's what you want.

Only R series has full suspension. S2 has same powertrain.

Wow, I had no idea the HyperScrambler was so heavy. :rolleyes:

• CampScrambler Weight: 71.5 lb with battery | 61.5 lb without battery
  • CityScrambler Weight: 78 lb with battery | 68 lb without battery

The hyper-scrambler 2 has rims like the CityScrambler, so it makes sense that it weighs more then that.... still, it adds up.

• CampScrambler Weight: 71.5 lb with battery | 61.5 lb without battery
  • CityScrambler Weight: 78 lb with battery | 68 lb without battery

The hyper-scrambler 2 has rims like the CityScrambler, so it makes sense that it weighs more then that.... still, it adds up.
I don't know what else it would be but is it really 6.5 lbs different from rims alone? Maybe tires too. Still crazy.

I wish they would have done more to keep the weight of the HS2 down. They could have kept the original front fork and headlight setup to save on weight.

Really great walk-through. As exciting as the bike is, the 100+ pounds weight gave me pause. I load my e-bikes on to a hitch rack. That could require quite a wrestle. But I love the speed and the potential range. Thank you for the review.

Back