Hub vs. Mid-drive

e-boy

From New York Times , Nov. 23rd , 2017 :
"Manufacturers have switched from motors attached to the hub of the rear wheel to more efficient center-drive motors in the pedal crankshaft, which improve the bike’s center of gravity and handling."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/23/business/e-bikes-electric-bicycles.html

By the way , Chris Nolte , EBR forum contributor , frequent guest on EBR video reviews , and owner of Propel Bikes in Brooklyn , is also quoted in the article .

My personal preference that I use in hilly terrain and traffic here in Portland, OR is this
188F163B-E3E4-465A-B95D-356F3999152F.jpeg
Strong front hub motor with a throttle on a drop bar bike. Throttles don’t preclude the use of your pedals but come in handy sometimes in traffic to provide instant propulsion and getting across intersections.

Using a combination of motor and pedal force hills are not a problem.

Grin All Axle motor, 35A controller but running 25A, 10.5ah, 52v, 546wh shark pack battery and a CA 3. Throttle only and regen.

I have another bike, V1, setup in a similar manner with a 9c motor and and an 11ah 48v. Performance is very similar but weighs 8lbs. more.

So pretty much all ebikesdotca gear. If you are in my area code you are welcome to try one out.

[QUOTE="ChrisKoz, post: 121864, member: 16699"How much was your kit?[/QUOTE]

Around $1300. Not on the cheaper end but I subscribe to the quality components equals better long run value. I like to support the boys and girls at Grin and can go to their facility when I am in Vancouver to visit my son to save on shipping.

I am in the process of putting together a Shimano Alfine 11 IGH with Di2 and even sourcing everything as economically as possible all in it will be in the neighborhood of a grand. The Schlumpf bb drive I use is $800 a copy these days. But my pedaling interface is as much of a big deal to me as the motor system so it is money well spent on both ends.

Good luck with your build.

Which would you choose for commuting on hilly roads in traffic ?
In terms of hilly roads, I would recommend a mid-drive because you can then utilize your rear gearing to help the motor perform more efficiently during climbs.

In terms of riding in traffic, a hub-motor/throttle bike will help getting off the line at a green light a bit quicker and easier. A throttle can also prove to be useful when trying to navigate one's way through obstacles in the road.

A hub motor is fine for the hilly roads that I ride on. But I do find that a mid drive with a good torque sensing feature is better for the type of hill climbing more associated with trail type riding but not as good on the road for the cadence/assist I prefer and can easily maintain on my hub bike. Good thing I have two bikes!

A hub motor is fine for the hilly roads that I ride on. But I do find that a mid drive with a good torque sensing feature is better for the type of hill climbing more associated with trail type riding but not as good on the road for the cadence/assist I prefer and can easily maintain on my hub bike. Good thing I have two bikes!
Photos of your mid drive please.

Back