Hub Motor Axel Seized up

skidmarc

Region
USA
I git a rear hub motor direct drive that had to be sitting for some months now. I was puting my wheel on and fount it will not turn, it is simply stuck. This is without plugging it in its seized completely? Any causes or solutions you can think of?
I did try to rotate by hand and even put the wheel on the ground and move the axle with a wrench it won't budge, the cassette works though.

I git a rear hub motor direct drive that had to be sitting for some months now. I was puting my wheel on and fount it will not turn, it is simply stuck. This is without plugging it in its seized completely? Any causes or solutions you can think of?
I did try to rotate by hand and even put the wheel on the ground and move the axle with a wrench it won't budge, the cassette works though.
al it can be is the bearings since thats all there is. I bet they are rusted together.

Magnets could be another issue. Especially if a couple came loose and that would lock the armature to the housing. A cassette doesn't have any work to do, the gears just sit there. I assume you meant the freewheel?

Magnets could be another issue. Especially if a couple came loose and that would lock the armature to the housing. A cassette doesn't have any work to do, the gears just sit there. I assume you meant the freewheel?
ya it would have to be really really rusty to seize up like that. so you may be right.

My bet - armature so rusted it's dragging hard on the magnets. Junk in my mind for what it cost to replace it, but some might be able to clean it up with a lot of patience....

Bottom line, the only way to know for sure is to pull it down.

Back