How to Make "off-road only" Electric Bike Legal in California

I bought some tires for my conversion and they have that ebike rating. I think it is '50'. Didn't know what it was.

The regs for motorcycles may be in this pdf, and I could see where an HP ebike manufacturer just wouldn't choose to ever meet them.

The liability laws in this country limit all kinds of things.
George,
Page 32 is a huge obstacle. Simply, the record-keeping is overwhelming for a small company. They may not be profitable simply due to maintaining records for 5 years, for every bike.

Seems like only giant, international companies need apply!

Thanks,
mike

I bought some tires for my conversion and they have that ebike rating. I think it is '50'. Didn't know what it was.

The regs for motorcycles may be in this pdf, and I could see where an HP ebike manufacturer just wouldn't choose to ever meet them.

The liability laws in this country limit all kinds of things.
George,
Federal Motorcycle laws, which may differ according to state law:

There are two basic category definitions for two and three wheeled motor vehicles;
  • Motorcycle is defined as a motor vehicle with motive power having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground.
  • Motor-driven cycle is defined as a motorcycle with a motor that produces 5-brake horsepower (3729 watts) or less. NHTSA Office of Chief counsel has determined that mopeds and motor-driven bicycles fall into this category.
So, I can forget about Revolution 5, but Revolution Sport is still viable as a "motor-driven cycle".

This is giving me a headache. I will resume from this point in the future.

This package contains information concerning Federal laws and regulations of the Department of Transportation pertaining to the manufacture of motor vehicles. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is responsible for improving safety on the Nation's highways. As part of these responsibilities, NHTSA establishes and enforces Federal motor vehicle safety standards (FMVSS) which specify minimum levels of safety performance for motor vehicles. A part of our enforcement program is the monitoring of vehicles manufactured, sold, or imported into the United States to ensure that they comply with applicable FMVSS.

There are two basic category definitions for two and three wheeled motor vehicles;Motorcycle is defined as a motor vehicle with motive power having a seat or saddle for the use of

the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground.

Motor-driven cycle is defined as a motorcycle with a motor that produces 5-brake horsepower or less. NHTSA Office of Chief counsel has determined that mopeds and motor-driven bicycles fall into this category.

49 U.S.C. 30112 requires all motor vehicles (including motorcycles and motor-driven cycles), to comply with all applicable FMVSS in effect on their date of manufacture. 49 U.S.C. 30165 provides that whoever violates Section 30112 or regulations issued thereunder, will be subject to a civil penalty not to exceed $1,100 for each violation, or $925,000 for any related series of violations. The FMVSS are found at Title 49, Code of Federal Regulations Part 571 (49 CFR 571).

49 CFR Part 567 requires that the manufacturer of a motor vehicle permanently affix a label certifying that it conforms to all applicable FMVSS.

Manufacturers are required to:

(Foreign manufacturers only) submit a designation to NHTSA in accordance with 49 CFR 551.45, Agent for Service of Process.

(All manufacturers) submit information to NHTSA in accordance with 49 CFR 565.7(c) and (d), VIN Identification.

(All manufacturers) submit information to NHTSA in accordance with 49 CFR 566.5, Manufacturer Identification.

Ensure conformity with Federal motor vehicle safety standards (FMVSS), and apply a certification label to the vehicle in accordance with 49 CFR Part 567, Certification. It is recommended that you FAX a copy of your certification label with all GVWR, GAWR, and tire information (FAX#) 202-366-1024.

Provide information to consumers as required by 49 CFR 575.6(a)(2)(I). Maintain a list of first purchasers (owners) of vehicles you manufacture as

required by 49 CFR 569, 574.10 and 576.

Last edited:
My street lacks a bike lane. The hill is 10% grade and 35mph speed limit. I must ride in the right hand lane with traffic. I have no other road. I am considering this 3500 watt bike with a top-speed over 35mph.

How to make an eBike legal in CA.

Other useful information may be found at the NHTSA Internet home page.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov

Should you have any questions please contact Kristi Bragdon on (202) 366-5291, fax: 202-366-1024, or e-mail to: [email protected]

Perhaps the bicycle tires are not designed to wear with the amount of force from a 5kW motor? Moped tires may be designed for that type of wear. I understand this bike does burnouts. Car tire codes and speed ratings.

E-Bike-Ready-50.gif
E-Bike ready. The main sizes are approved and tested for E-bikes up to 50 km/h. The following sizes carry the ECE-R75 mark: 60-507, 60-559.

Adding turn signals, horn, lights and other legal requirements is easy.

Would they have to pass DOT regulation for them to say "on-road" use? There must be some test they would fail, like the tire tube overheating on hot pavement at the RPMs to reach 45mph.

USA bike tire standards are only 30mph, even though the tires are capable of much higher speeds, twice the test standards.

What is the worst-case scenario with a chain drop? Can a dropped chain bind up and break when the throttle is fully powered on a rear hub motor? If so, how to prevent chain from binding?

Is it possible for the rider to be thrown off the bike, like a motorcycle hi-sider, if the chain binds up?

What are other common dangers with a powerful rear hub motor, chain and throttle?

If the chain simply breaks, due to wear, could the chain get wrapped inside the spokes and cause a loss of control?

The bike has a Schlumpf drive, so is that the safest way to switch gears at very high speed?
What you want is called a motorcycle.

Back