How to edit the settings in a Bafang APT 860C full color IPS Display

username00101

Region
USA
I noticed that there's some advanced settings that I've been locked out of, and I was wondering how I could get into this display with my computer and gain access to the locked settings.

It looks like it's been programmed to basically not allow me to adjust certain parameters, like temp, speed, etc etc.

I also can't change the peddle assist - it has up to 9 options, but I'm locked out to only using 5.

The password is 1919. If you are still unable to change something, it's locked. There's only one option at that point, and that's to cross you fingers and buy another display, hoping what you are after isn't locked on that one too!

I think there are 3 PAS options. 3, 5, and 9.

Are any of the settings lock on yours? This came with the bike so I am guessing the manufacturer locked some of these settings without my permission. If I buy a factory one maybe they won't be locked?

The manf. doesn't need your permission to lock a controller/display down. They'll claim it was done in the name of safety, minimizing warranty claims and/or keeping the bike compatible with the legal beagles. I can't guarantee you the new one won't be locked down, especially as regards to speed. That might be a good question for the seller. I will say you won't be the first to buy a new display....

Nearly every post-B&W Bafang display has settings that are not accessible. The price of pretty color displays. Some features may not have been compatible with the controller or would add additional changes to the firmware. It is what it is...

I dont think it's just a feature that isn't compatable.

Is there a USB cable I can stick in there and hook it up to a computer and over ride some of the locks?

What motor/controller are we talking about? CANbus, or UART? Pretty safe bet if it's CANbus you aren't changing anything that's locked down.

I dont think it's just a feature that isn't compatable.

Is there a USB cable I can stick in there and hook it up to a computer and over ride some of the locks?
Again, no. It would require APT firmware. Not accessible to you and again there are probably system incompatibilities. All systems have one or another base communication system. You don’t share which Bafang motor you have leaving Al and I to try and guess. Bottom line, you cannot access the features. Period.

Yay! Now we're getting somewhere! The interface between the M600 motor controller and the display uses CANbus, Bafang's way of telling you they don't want anyone messing with it.

It just so happens I took delivery of an M600 bike last week. As mentioned, I WAS able to change the number of PAS levels without issue. There was one other parameter in there I tried to change, called "enable temp" I think, that I could not change. I just wanted to see what it was!

My bike, an Evelo Atlas, comes rated as a class 3, meaning it's supposed to be able to run 28mph, though the top speed is currently set at 20mph. Though I have no interest in 28mph, I'm betting there is a way to change THIS BIKE to 28mph. This ability is hard coded into the controller, meaning it's locked down. There's currently nothing available that will allow an owner, or even a bike shop, to change anything locked. Hoping that changes eventually, but that's the way it is today.

You don't mention what class your bike is (1, 2, or 3), or what the top speed is set at currently. The answer to those questions would allow me a guess regarding what you can expect.

Yay! Now we're getting somewhere! The interface between the M600 motor controller and the display uses CANbus, Bafang's way of telling you they don't want anyone messing with it.

It just so happens I took delivery of an M600 bike last week. As mentioned, I WAS able to change the number of PAS levels without issue. There was one other parameter in there I tried to change, called "enable temp" I think, that I could not change. I just wanted to see what it was!

My bike, an Evelo Atlas, comes rated as a class 3, meaning it's supposed to be able to run 28mph, though the top speed is currently set at 20mph. Though I have no interest in 28mph, I'm betting there is a way to change THIS BIKE to 28mph. This ability is hard coded into the controller, meaning it's locked down. There's currently nothing available that will allow an owner, or even a bike shop, to change anything locked. Hoping that changes eventually, but that's the way it is today.

You don't mention what class your bike is (1, 2, or 3), or what the top speed is set at currently. The answer to those questions would allow me a guess regarding what you can expect.
I noticed your post is a year old so you probably have this sorted, but for anyone else... I have an Atlas and asked Evelo support early on why I could not hit 28mph. It has nothing to do with the controller, actually. You just need to get into a higher PAS to go well past 20mph. I keep mine in PAS 1, where I can't get much above 23mph, which explains it. After support replied, I tried a higher PAS level and got it right up into the high 20s while pedaling. I just assume stay in PAS 1, though, as averaging 20-22mph is plenty fast for me most of the time.

Back