How much should an ebike cost?

Bike_On

Here is my 2c breakdown.
** Revised **

Level 1. less than $1500. Budget quality. Expect some lead or junk. Bottom line components and back-end heavy designs for low cost. Not safe at higher speeds.

Level 2. $1500-2500. Entry level ebike quality=> mid range for regular bikes. Low speed output or limited to 20mph, low power (250-350W), Frame/fork may not be optimum for weight and speed. Standard bike gearing is adequate for a 20 mph top speed. Standard 36V, 10Ahr expected. Adequate design for light use.

Level 3. $2500-$5000. Higher quality components, but may not be all high quality. Entry level performance class. Designed for higher speeds (20-30mph) with power performance of 250W, up to 500W average power. Standard gearing may not be adequate, nor match speed range. Hydraulic disk brakes desired, but not typical. Frame design and suspension designed for ebike's higher weight and speed. 36-48V, 360-600+ Whrs. Adequate design for moderate use.

Level 4. $5000-8000. High level performance bikes. All should have high quality, specific applied componentry. Frames and suspension can support and perform under higher power and attain high speeds of 30+ mph with solid handling. Designed for hard use and lasting value. High quality hydraulic disk brakes and suspension. Some specialty applications. Expect 500W min average power (for a hub) and 1200W peak. 36-48V, 500 Whr min.

Level 5. $8000 and up. Same as level 4 with specific style/function bikes, customized metals, paints, frames. Boutique companies, high power and high performance. Expect 750W- 4500W of power. More carbon and high end components. Will have larger Li batteries, 800+ whrs, and can justify some of the costs. 36-48V+, 700 Whr min.

I had labeled the Specialized Turbo as a $4.5-5k bike. (Because of no suspension) That was more of a value price than a selling price, IMO. With a DDhub putting out 500W cont and 1000W peak, and given it's quality, it is a category 4 on quality and power and the $6k price price not rediculous.

Last edited:
basically maximum $1000 above what regular bike would cost. Depending on the quality of the frame and components.

I am having a hard time fitting the Dash, currently available for $2,200, into your matrix.
The Dash is a good value, and it cost about $2495 at my bike shop.

That $3000 value between group 2 and 3 could be bumped down to $2500 range.

I am having a hard time fitting the Dash, currently available for $2,200, into your matrix.
Brian,

Another point about the Dash....while the 48V allows for a 25-30 mph ride, it's components are really entry level for an electric bike. The front ring a bit undersized. Mech disk brakes, not hydraulic. Suntour suspension. Nice big tires, good for high speed cushion. Components are Deore in rear, so a solid performer.

I place the Dash on the upper side of level 2 or the lower end of level 3 if you lowered the price point.

There are several BH, NEO bikes, NEO Cross, around $2800. I think they can be pedalled with assist up to 26mph? Very similiar level of bike. I have not seen one to see it's componentry.

Here is my 2c breakdown.
** Revised **

Level 1. less than $1500. Budget quality. Expect some lead or junk. Bottom line components and back-end heavy designs for low cost. Not safe at higher speeds.

Level 2. $1500-2500. Entry level ebike quality=> mid range for regular bikes, low speed or limited to 20mph, low power (250-350W), Frame/fork may not be optimum for weight and speed. Standard bike gearing is adequate. Standard 36V, 10Ahr expected. Adequate design for light use.

Level 3. $2500-$5000. Higher quality components, but may not be all high quality. Entry level performance class. Designed for higher speeds (20-30mph) with power performance of 250W, up to 500W average power. Standard gearing may not be adequate, nor match speed range. Hydraulic disk brakes desired, but not typical. Frame design and suspension designed for ebike's higher weight and speed. 36-48V, 360-600+ Whrs. Adequate design for moderate use.

Level 4. $5000-8000. High level performance bikes. All should have high quality, specific applied componentry. Frames and suspension can support and perform under higher power and high speeds. Designed for hard use. High quality hydraulic disk brakes and suspension. Some specialty applications. Expect 500W min average power (for a hub) and 1200W peak. 36-48V, 500 Whr min.

Level 5. $8000 and up. Same as level 4 with specific style/function bikes, customized metals, paints, frames. Boutique companies, high power and high performance. More carbon and high end components. Will have larger Li batteries, 800+ whrs, and can justify some of the costs. Expect 750W or more average power. 36-48V, 700 Whr min.

I had labeled the Specialized Turbo as a $4.5-5k bike. (Because of no suspension) That was more of a value price than a selling price, IMO. With a DDhub putting out 500W cont and 1000W peak, and given it's quality, it is a category 4 on quality and power and the $6k price price not rediculous.
Excellent post with great well researched thoughts. The point about higher end components for higher speeds and actual off-road use is spot on. I see a lot of bikes with impressive drive system specs (48v battery, 500w motor etc.) but lower end components. Even if some of these bikes can reach higher speeds, they might not be comfortable to pedal given their limited gearing. Thanks again!

Back