How much of a workout do experienced riders get using an ebike.

scout592

Here is an interesting study that was recently done that I thought would be of general interest to readers of this EBR forum. These were non throttle ebikes used in the comparison. It is a fairly long study so I will attach the link below. The study notes that these were experienced mt bikers that were in the study but ebikes can bring health benefits to other riders as well. My friend in his 60s that has been riding a Honda Goldwing motorcycle for years purchased Bulls ebikes for he and is wife a couple years ago and made this statement to me regarding his thoughts about ebikes. I thought it was a great comment. He said, "Even 80% of a workout is better than a 0% workout."

Here are some quotes from the article as well as the link.

Objective
This study aimed to compare conventional mountain bike and eMTB use. This was done by investigating 2 questions: (1) What proportion of exercise response is retained for an experienced mountain biker while using an eMTB when compared with a conventional mountain bike? and (2) What are the perceptions and beliefs of experienced mountain bikers toward eMTBs both before and after riding an eMTB?
Average heart rate during eMTB use was 93.6% of average heart rate during conventional mountain bike use. Riding both types of bikes on the study loop caused the participants to exceed at least heart-rate levels for moderate-intensity fitness activities and placed the average heart rate for a majority of participants in the vigorous-intensity zone [16]. Therefore, eMTB use in this study retained the bulk of the exercise response and exceeded established biometric thresholds for cardiovascular fitness. These findings of eMTB use on soft-surface trails are comparable to recent findings using e-bikes on city bike paths in which it was estimated that 95.5% of the cardiovascular benefit of conventional bike use was retained [18]. Although findings from the extant literature indicate that e-bikes can generally satisfy requirements for moderate-intensity physical activity [7-11,13,19], this study is the first to explore the exercise response of eMTB use on soft-surface trails and the first to associate pedal-assist bikes with vigorous exercise.

Pedal-Assist Mountain Bikes: A Pilot Study Comparison of the Exercise Response, Perceptions, and Beliefs of Experienced Mountain Bikers

Exactly. It's up to the rider to decide whether to put in a lot of effort, or none. I swear, people put together studies for the craziest things. No study on earth can tell you how you do it vs how I or someone else will do it, and the way I ride my eBike or regular bike today will not be how I ride it/them tomorrow. It reminds me of the old saying that those who can't, teach. Riding a bike is all about riding a bike. No studies needed.

Someone had that much time on their hands to do a study like that? They should have went for a bicycle ride and pedaled the stress away!

It is called, Science and is the only way to actually prove a theory. You can "claim" all you want but in order to be taken seriously, you must do the scientific method.

I would not have thought that an e bike was such a good thing until I bought one. Now we are getting actual proof that they are.

As much as you want. Except more, because, for instance, you can ride to the mountain bike trails instead of driving to them. So, again, as much as you want, except more.

- xtra energy left after a ride

- no overtraining issues

- safer rides b/c we are not riding tired

I have been doing fat tire single track all winter and here is what I've found.
You can't go too high in PAS because when you start to peddle it will launch you!
I typically am in PAS 1 and do a lot of shifting.

The first time out I went to level 2, started pedaling out of a corner and the bike lurched into the soft snow and I did a wonderful OTB!

It sounds funny but Ebiking on snowy single track adds a whole new dimension to the ride. You really have to be on top of your PAS level and gearing or you will pay the price!

So with PAS 1 I'm sweaty by the end of the loop so I know I'm getting a workout!

Back