How Do I Make The Yukon 2018 Voltbike faster?

If anyone is on the FB group, I put a post (poll) there last week asking about interest in getting a Bolton upgraded controller and display for the Yukon. So far on my Yukon 750, I can't get over 40kph on PAS9 on flat ground, (yes with a larger chainring) even if I adjust the CUL and max speed in the Advanced settings. I would like the bike to go a bit faster and have some more power. An upgraded controller like Bolton sells for the Rad bikes and others seems like a possible solution, or there is the Grin solution mentioned in this thread which I will research a bit more if I can get info from poster.
Thx, ...Roger
I'm actually trying to reduce the power output. My mother just got a Trio and even at Pedal Assist 1, when the motor kicks in she feels it's too much.
Does anyone know of any negative effects to the motor if the current (P14 setting) is set to it's lowest value?
Or maybe setting the P11 (Power sensitivity setting) to the lowest value?

I'm thinking Power Assist level 1 already limits the current to the lowest output. Hopefully not.
I am waiting for my Trio, when did your mother order hers? I'm thinking I just missed the last one until end of the month...

So... does anyone know how to increase the amps on the controller from 15 to 18amps ?
Setting to 19amps will give you the max power output of over 1000w on full pack

Bike on

Dbl click pwr button.
Single clicks until you get to the 0000 password setting. Enter 1919
Find the amp setting (CUL) change to 19. Anything over 19 with not save and cause it to revert to stock settings at 750w peak output.

Dbl click power to exit and save

Last edited:
Just FYI for those of you who have a Teo Fat bike.

I've tried these steps to get into the system on my Teo Fat Bike unfortunately the menu is structured differently, not possible to make it work, at least not that I was able to find it.

If someone has an idea how to do it on a Teo we all appreciate some pointers.

Hey carlb,

I just got off my morning commute. I know you said use google maps for kph but I didn’t get a chance to look into that. Also I don’t know if google maps records top speed or avg speed but I have no phone mount so I wouldn’t be able to see the kph in real-time. I can say there was no discernable speed difference though. When I put the wheel size setting back to 28” (its 28” even though the wheel is 26” in order to account for the thickness of the tires) the speedometer seemed more accurate. I found that if I slowed my pedaling above 40kph I could feel the motor kick back in when my speed dropped to 40kph. So it seemed there is pedal assist up to 40kph, but other times I tried the same procedure and didn’t fee the assist. I think I need to get more diligent about noting the settings when I try different procedures. This will take some time and organization.

I still believe the best solution is to reconfigure the controller (not the console settings) to the motor but voltbike is not being forthcoming about whether or how this is possible. The next best option seems to be to replace the controller and configure that to the motor to get more top speed. But from what I hear that may still only get you to 40kph which would make me happy although 45kph would be better but may not be worth the time and money.

I have to say that I’m a little displeased w. Voltbike for not being open about how to make adjustments to the equipment they’ve sold me (liability, the law, blaw blaw). There is probably a way to hook up to the existing controller and reconfigure it to the motor. The search goes on.

I feel your pain. I'm going through a similar situation. Got a 2020 Yukon 750. The controller they use is a bit of a let down. I did manage to find the make / model of it. It's rated for 10 AMP continuous/maximum 20 AMP.

20200813_155613.jpg

Inside is coated with some waterproofing. Can't seem to locate any additional wiring (to connect to USB / computer for programming) or any additional wiring for alarm/ accessories.
20200813_155952.jpg
So running it at 20A continuously might not be a good idea. I'm looking into a controller upgrade. Just wish the new controller would fit into the original housing on the frame. I looked up the manufacturer. They have one rated for 25A. Similar in size. Im going to contact them I think.

They have 3 different ones. 25amp FOC Sine wave. Should be much smoother. 5 amps is a pretty big difference. If u want to push the motor harder then that you should definitely upgrade it.

Setting to 19amps will give you the max power output of over 1000w on full pack

Bike on

Dbl click pwr button.
Single clicks until you get to the 0000 password setting. Enter 1919
Find the amp setting (CUL) change to 19. Anything over 19 with not save and cause it to revert to stock settings at 750w peak output.

Dbl click power to exit and save

just so I’m clear, is the consensus now that changing the CUL setting to 19 amps using the display and password 1919 will unlock all Yukon models including the 2020 Canadian presently capped at 500 watts.

Does this also apply to the 2020 bravo ? It seems to have the same running gear as the yukon. Thanks

This is exactly what I'm looking into.

Yes, to the others, we're talking about km/h. (Voltbike is a Canadian bike). The bike current does 40.6km/h in it's current state so something like 50km/h should be achievable since it's only 10km/h more.

The current rear hub motor should be able to do 1500 watt bursts (it doesn't seem to get warm even when doing sustained 40km/h for long periods of time so I'm fairly sure it's well within limits).

The controller, as you stated, handles up to 25 amps peak AND the big issue (or rather, challenge) is that the amp doesn't change EVEN when you change it from the display. It seems locked at 15amp regardless.

I imagine that if we could get adjust the controller from 15amps to 18-20amps, then we could achieve the desired results. I'm not sure if the 850C display would be any better at changing the amperage since it seems locked at the controller.

Is there a way to unlock it at the controller level? (Can we even program the controller individually? Is that why some people are using a USB wire/adapter?)

I also saw that someone had a phase regulator installed on an older Voltbike. Is this what it was for?

Voltbike Yukon 750 1000 watt upgrade. 50 /44 tooth sprockets.. Set Your Controller To 19 amps = 1000 watts Post your your results
Any long term effects after upgrade, more wear in motor, running hot etc. I read you should only use occasionally with throttle for short power boost?
Thanks

Back