How do I know when it's time bleed brakes?

Jmarc

Region
USA
Have a '20 Sport with about 1300 miles on it so far. Brakes feel fine, at most I had to tighten the handle screw, but otherwise no issues. What should I be looking out for to know when its time to bleed and service the brakes?

when they feel mushy or you have to pull them back too far.
When you mean pull them back too far, are you talking about squeezing the handle all the way? Because I had an issue with that, but it wasn't the brakes, it was just the handle being loose. Just needed to tighten the screw and fixed that issue.
Anyway you can describe "mushy" a little better?

Even better, any idea of a mileage threshold where the brakes may just start to go? 1500, 2000, 3000 miles ridden? It could be all relative also to how you ride and if you always come to hard stops or apply the brakes gently. But I'm guessing that after a certain amount of miles ridden, you probably used your brakes enough that they probably would need some sort of servicing regardless.

There is no universal mileage number. It depends on speed you ride, number of hills you come down, your weight, amount of urban riding, etc.....I changed the pads on my distance riding eBike at 5,000 miles. There was at least 1mm still on the original pads. Mushy feeling on a bicycle is just like mushy brakes in a car. The pedal in the cars goes down near the floor and there is not a solid feel. It's like you could push it more, but you are still stopping.

When you mean pull them back too far, are you talking about squeezing the handle all the way? Because I had an issue with that, but it wasn't the brakes, it was just the handle being loose. Just needed to tighten the screw and fixed that issue.
Anyway you can describe "mushy" a little better?

Even better, any idea of a mileage threshold where the brakes may just start to go? 1500, 2000, 3000 miles ridden? It could be all relative also to how you ride and if you always come to hard stops or apply the brakes gently. But I'm guessing that after a certain amount of miles ridden, you probably used your brakes enough that they probably would need some sort of servicing regardless.
when the lever is tight if you find the lever is getting close the the handle or when it tightens and it just feels easier to pull to get the same braking then it needs it. no mileage it depends on how you brake and such. our tandem I was overheating the back on long descents and i t needed the bleed in 600 or so miles. my bulls went maybe 8000 miles before they needed it. then my bike fell over when the kickstand broke and the back needed led after that.

The symptom of air in your brake lines is a springy feeling when you brake.
Oil is incompressible, so when you brake it should hit a firm wall. Air on the other hand is compressible, so if you have air in the lines, when you brake it feel like a spring.

Bleeding should only be required during installation or maintenance where there was a risk of letting air inside the lines.
On good quality brakes, once that is done, it should stay that way.

If air is getting inside your brake lines requiring new bleeding, then something is not right.

Back