michiganmike

I was recently at Disney Orlando for 5 very long walking days.
I was surround by many, many 3 and 4 wheel electric scooter type things, usually bright red. Most were rented at the park or nearby.

On the last day, I was passed by someone standing on what appeared to be a Mototec Electric Stand and Ride Trike.
It looked like an excellent option for my particular situation, so I did some research.
Disney Resorts calls these type of things. Electric Conveyance Vehicles.
They must have 3 or 4 wheels for stability, which excludes a 2 wheel Segway, Ninebot or any hoverboards.
The maximum "footprint" is 36 inches wide x 52 inches long.
The Mototec Trike is 32 inches wide x 44 inches long.
I have focused on the Mototec MT-TRK-800 with the 800 watt 48 volt motor., 16 inch front and 12 inch rear tires.
https://urbanscooters.com/products/mototec-800w-electric-trike
They are priced between $600-700.
Does anyone have any opinions on the Mototec Stand and Ride Trikes

http://triadmotion.com/triad-750-electric-scooter-price/ Triad Electric Vehicles has what looks like customized versions of the Mototec. priced around $2000, with front suspension and a Knobby Tire.
and I quote " Triad Electric Vehicles is the only company to offer a “CERTIFIED” 750 watt motor for this class of vehicle"
The question is, what does it really mean for a motor to be Certified. ? It wonder if it means that each Motor has actually been run and tested from the assembly line, as opposed to 1 out of 10 ?

If this Thread doesn't get any response, I might copy and post it to another Type in the Forum.

Mike in Michigan.

You should check out the Liberty Trike on their website and the users Facebook page. My wife has one it handles hills well.

There are plenty of videos around also.

If there is a condition that keeps you from walking, I'd suggest a 750 watt motor used on something you stand on, is going to be a SERIOUS problem!

You should check out the Liberty Trike on their website and the users Facebook page. My wife has one it handles hills well.

There are plenty of videos around also.

Thanks for the suggestion, but Disney only allows a maximum length of 52 inches long when used in their Parks...
1523897881407.png

If there is a condition that keeps you from walking, I'd suggest a 750 watt motor used on something you stand on, is going to be a SERIOUS problem!

If you would reread my post, the Mototec has an 800 watt motor. :) I want a stand (or sit) type so as to be able to see over crowds, not sitting low and looking at their butts. I have bone spurs in my feet and some lower back problems, but have mobility for limited distances.
I appreciate any comments, ....they may be something that I have forgotten.

I was surround by many, many 3 and 4 wheel electric scooter type things, usually bright red. Most were rented at the park or nearby.

On the last day, I was passed by someone standing on what appeared to be a Mototec Electric Stand and Ride Trike.
It looked like an excellent option for my particular situation

WDW is huge and can be very tiring, but unless there is a true medical need, I would hate for the parks to become overrun with even more wheeled vehicles. It is already jammed full of strollers, double strollers, wheelchairs, and scooters. I've experienced the parks both ways; getting clipped in the heels/legs by those using, and trying very hard not to hit anyone when I wheeled my 80+ year old mother around in a wheelchair (and not always successful). The only reason that these standing electric vehicles are allowed is because someone complained (that they could not bring in their Segway). Disney compromised by allowing these non-balancing ECV's. I don't want to deny anyone access, but I also know some/many people are all too eager to abuse such accommodations just for their convenience.

I have bone spurs in my feet and some lower back problems, but have mobility for limited distances.

You have a medical need, but in my opinion those ECV's you linked to should be banned from the parks. No ECV should be able to go any faster than walking speed. Not saying you would be irresponsible, but there is no doubt in my mind that others would not be so courteous.

WDW is huge and can be very tiring, but unless there is a true medical need, I would hate for the parks to become overrun with even more wheeled vehicles. It is already jammed full of strollers, double strollers, wheelchairs, and scooters. I've experienced the parks both ways; getting clipped in the heels/legs by those using, and trying very hard not to hit anyone when I wheeled my 80+ year old mother around in a wheelchair (and not always successful). The only reason that these standing electric vehicles are allowed is because someone complained (that they could not bring in their Segway). Disney compromised by allowing these non-balancing ECV's. I don't want to deny anyone access, but I also know some/many people are all too eager to abuse such accommodations just for their convenience.

Yeah, but I wouldn't want to get my heels clipped by a Segway or runaway Ninebot either, or a kid with roller skate wheels .
Incidentally, I only saw ONE Stand Sit Trike in 5 long days. . . but there were Hundreds of Red sit down Scooters.
My idea is to use the trike to get from point A to point B. I focused the question on Disney because of the rules that they have posted for acceptability., and I would also be using the Trike for other outdoor events with long walking distances.

If you would reread my post, the Mototec has an 800 watt motor. :) I want a stand (or sit) type so as to be able to see over crowds, not sitting low and looking at their butts. I have bone spurs in my feet and some lower back problems, but have mobility for limited distances.
I appreciate any comments, ....they may be something that I have forgotten.

But the Triad model you linked to is 750. They are also all capable of 25mph. That should do a lot more than clip a couple of heels!
  • Speed: Up to 25 mph with 300 lb. rider. Adjustable 3-speed switch control. 5/12/25 mph speed settings.

Hmmm. maybe I should just delete this thread, which is becoming argumentative.

My highlighted question was Does anyone have any opinions on the Mototec Stand and Ride Trikes.

The secondary question was , . . . what does it really mean for a motor to be Certified. ?

Hmmm. maybe I should just delete this thread, which is becoming argumentative.

My highlighted question was Does anyone have any opinions on the Mototec Stand and Ride Trikes.

The secondary question was , . . . what does it really mean for a motor to be Certified. ?

Urrgghh -sometime this happens. Threads can get hijacked and the original main questions are completely thrown aside to something unrelated to the original intent of opening. Hang in there!

It looked like an excellent option for my particular situation, so I did some research.
Disney Resorts calls these type of things. Electric Conveyance Vehicles.
They must have 3 or 4 wheels for stability, which excludes a 2 wheel Segway, Ninebot or any hoverboards.
The maximum "footprint" is 36 inches wide x 52 inches long.
The Mototec Trike is 32 inches wide x 44 inches long.
I have focused on the Mototec MT-TRK-800 with the 800 watt 48 volt motor., 16 inch front and 12 inch rear tires.

http://triadmotion.com/triad-750-electric-scooter-price/ Triad Electric Vehicles has what looks like customized versions of the Mototec. priced around $2000, with front suspension and a Knobby Tire.
and I quote " Triad Electric Vehicles is the only company to offer a “CERTIFIED” 750 watt motor for this class of vehicle"
The question is, what does it really mean for a motor to be Certified. ? It wonder if it means that each Motor has actually been run and tested from the assembly line, as opposed to 1 out of 10 ?

If this Thread doesn't get any response, I might copy and post it to another Type in the Forum.

Mike in Michigan.

Hi Mike, This is Triad .. A Certified Motor is one that has been factory tested to have the proper amount of magnets and copper windings in it to output the correct amount of power that it claims to have. Competing products have the voltage power in the controller from the battery to the motor amplified so high that there is no free current left in the motor. This draws way too many amps from the battery than the motor is designed for and automatically creates an extremely rapid deterioration of the battery, motor, components and computer causing total unit failures and electrical safety risks from the very first day it was made. No need to name the products becasue there is more than we can count, but theres a few in this thread. The Triad is certified with these standards: ISO, CE, RoHs, EMC, ATC, ilac mra Lab Accreditation, MD and TUV certifications. Motors that are over 750W must be classified as Motor Vehicles like an automobile or moped under most state statutes who have regulations on the books, some states don't. The Triad 750 is built to the maximum legal limit as an ADA compliant electric assistive mobility device with no license registration or insurance required. You don't need to always use the power for speed, but rather to ensure you have enough power and torque to get where you're going, like up a hill, or across grass. When you add a load to any motor that has the stall current advanced, you can essentially burn up the motor, battery and all the components because its not designed to draw high amps from the battery. High amps, more heat. More heat, more electrical issues. Most of these competing products have 24V motors and run 36V-48V worth of batteries compounding the problem. Lead acid batteries are not the best choice for any fully electric vehicle. They are too heavy and have the lowest energy density of any battery for this purpose per kilogram. Any real 800 watt motor would propel a 300lb person over 25 mph. If it doesn't, we know there's likely some misinformation there to start with and its likely just a marketing gimmick. Some of those motors are geared, and require more wattage to spin a tiny spindle to turn the gear. Gears need parts. Gears break, parts break. We dont use geared motors. Its our philosophy that they're not ideal for electric vehicles. A true 750W motor maxes out at 40kmh or 25 mph and has a low amp draw keeping all the wiring and components cool. If you see a product that claims to be a 750W motor or more and it only goes 16-17 mph or so, then there are a lot of other engineering issues inside that product and there is no possible way they could certify it because it cant be certified as such. The labs have to abide by international manufacturing standards. So other competing manufacturers don't certify them at all. We have customers at Disney and other theme parks all the time.

Last edited:
Hi Mike, This is Triad .. A Certified Motor is one that has been factory tested to have the proper amount of magnets and copper windings in it to output the correct amount of power that it claims to have. Competing products have the voltage power in the controller from the battery to the motor amplified so high that there is no free current left in the motor. This draws way too many amps from the battery than the motor is designed for and automatically creates an extremely rapid deterioration of the battery, motor, components and computer causing total unit failures and electrical safety risks from the very first day it was made. No need to name the products becasue there is more than we can count, but theres a few in this thread. The Triad is certified with these standards: ISO, CE, RoHs, EMC, ATC, ilac mra Lab Accreditation, MD and TUV certifications. Motors that are over 750W must be classified as Motor Vehicles like an automobile or moped under most state statutes who have regulations on the books, some states don't. The Triad 750 is built to the maximum legal limit as an ADA compliant electric assistive mobility device with no license registration or insurance required. You don't need to always use the power for speed, but rather to ensure you have enough power and torque to get where you're going, like up a hill, or across grass. When you add a load to any motor that has the stall current advanced, you can essentially burn up the motor, battery and all the components because its not designed to draw high amps from the battery. High amps, more heat. More heat, more electrical issues. Most of these competing products have 24V motors and run 36V-48V worth of batteries compounding the problem. Lead acid batteries are not the best choice for any fully electric vehicle. They are too heavy and have the lowest energy density of any battery for this purpose per kilogram. Any real 800 watt motor would propel a 300lb person over 25 mph. If it doesn't, we know there's likely some misinformation there to start with and its likely just a marketing gimmick. Some of those motors are geared, and require more wattage to spin a tiny spindle to turn the gear. Gears need parts. Gears break, parts break. We dont use geared motors. Its our philosophy that they're not ideal for electric vehicles. A true 750W motor maxes out at 40kmh or 25 mph and has a low amp draw keeping all the wiring and components cool. If you see a product that claims to be a 750W motor or more and it only goes 16-17 mph or so, then there are a lot of other engineering issues inside that product and there is no possible way they could certify it because it cant be certified as such. The labs have to abide by international manufacturing standards. So other competing manufacturers don't certify them at all. We have customers at Disney and other theme parks all the time.
Thank You for the very well worded explanation of your Triad product. I know you took time to simply explain my question. I have not purchased anything yet, but will take your product into consideration. Thanks again.

My opinion - or, rather, an additional widely known info - is that 12 AH led acid battery holds only 6-7 AH usable charge, takes all day to bring it to 100% charge, and it is VERY desirable to bring it to 100% every time.

OTH, a 12 AH Li battery holds 10 AH usable charge, doesn't need to be fully charged every time (in fact, it's recommended not to charge it to 100% every time), and takes only 2-3 hours to recharge.

It's hard to understand why anybody would want led acid on EV, though (probably) there could be certain specific requirements making this a better choice.

Thanks for the comment, Alex. don't you think that $$$ is the reason that manufacturers produce products with Lead Acid batteries Versus the superior Lithium Ion Batteries.

Price is definitely the factor. But slow charging after 80% and heavy weight per pound of usable charge are serious drawbacks, to me. You "can" discharge led acid below 40% if you absolutely have to, but it won't last long if you do this often. Might work for short range and when low price is important.

Don't know what "dry cell battery" on Triad exactly means - is it NiCad, or Li.

Last edited:
Looking for advice and some knowledge before buying an e scooter . I already have 2 non powered tricycles for years . My pedaling days are not gone . It's just that I need something to ride across fields of grass . OLD fat copd'r here - pedaling in grass is not an option . I'm not looking to ride it on a bike path or in crowds . Last event I was able to rent a golf cart . Thank God - it was prolly a quarter,half mile dusty trek to the fields . There's not always that option . In which case I can't walk the long distances and miss out end up stuck sitting under the trees with the rv wives . Many of the folks have rhinos , or carts , jeeps etc . I travel long distances to these events and need something that would fit in a truck or van.

Kinda have my heart set on 1 of the affordable chinese scooters , no clue whether I need the 12 , 20 , or 30 battery option . At 240 lbs riding in grass - the 12 doesn't sound optimum . It's not like I'd need to ride miles and miles but I forsee others wanting to ride it too . At the next event (weekend ) so a battery that would last at least 2 days maybe 3 ?? The price point for the 30 battery , 2000 watt fat tire scooter is $1800 ALOT for the minimal use and my fixed income but dam I want one !!

These are pro and amateur firework events - the camping area , the lunch, social and meeting tents , inventory /product tents and set up areas are allllll like football fields apart . IF NOT FURTHER . Bring'm some water , somebody needs a drill , hammer etc etc ........I don't have the legs or endurance , especially in the heat . Buying a golf cart and trailer isn't an option .

I don't know squat about this stuff . There are no bike shops here for advice . This would be an online purchase . WHAT SAY YE ?

any links , advice , comments , suggestions or gestures much appreciated

zzzybil, have you considered electrifying your trikes? That's another option that would allow you to take advantage of the baskets for hauling stuff. If you don't feel comfortable installing the kits yourself there's bound to be someone with a little electrical know-how you could hire to help. Front hubs are not hard to do, go with a 750-1000watts and a 48V Li pack for your size and the weight of the trikes. Your range will be pretty decent plus you have the ability to pedal a bit so you're less likely to get stuck somewhere.

And you do have choices of non-lithium powered escooters that can hold your weight that are under $1000; the 1600 watt Uber Scoot is well built 48V SLA, full suspension with knobby tires that would be good on bumpy trails but my concern would be the range and how you intend to haul stuff.

The MotoTec 3 wheelers are not set up to haul much of anything and although they mention off road, not really, poor clearance. We have seen some reliability issues with those scooters, too.

thankyou Ann ! Yes I was a lil concerned with reliability and the 3'' ground clearance . Never thought of electrifying one of mine ! Not sure if I'm up to that technical adventure My expertise lol putting a new tube in a tire took me alllllllll weekend to figure out.......... tho great feeling of success , and prolly easier the 2nd time

Are there kits ? ( for electrifying the trike ) I haven't lOOked yet , or done any due diligence on that topic . Not sure I'm a candidate - everything electrical is black magic to me . Need to study up on that and search around the forum a lil bit . THANKYOU for the idea

Back