Home maintenance

Do you have the tools to pull the cranks and chainrings off the bottom btacket?
Tim, just a question: Have you already been working with the "self-extracting" cranks? It was a big surprise for my brother dismantling my Giant Trance E+. He had the ISIS crank-puller at the ready but the tool didn't fit the system. We've watched a video from Park Tools; then my brother just took the 6 mm hex wrench and started working hard on a crank. It extracted itself... :) Yet, to remove the chainring we needed a special tool to remove the Yamaha/Giant lock-ring. It is all so complicated!

Tim, just a question: Have you already been working with the "self-extracting" cranks? It was a big surprise for my brother dismantling my Giant Trance E+. He had the ISIS crank-puller at the ready but the tool didn't fit the system. We've watched a video from Park Tools; then my brother just took the 6 mm hex wrench and started working hard on a crank. It extracted itself... :) Yet, to remove the chainring we needed a special tool to remove the Yamaha/Giant lock-ring. It is all so complicated!
All of my bikes have always had the squate tapered crank shaft that requires a crank puller. My sons' have the splined cranks that you can remove by hand. They tell me there's a weight advantage, but hey ebkies so don't care too much...😉

For such seemingly simple machines, there are lots of special tools...🙄...and they change over time! Your LBS probably has drawers full of tools just for high quality but much older bikes!

Having done lots of research I have decided to concentrate my home repairs on the tires, chain and cassette... things that wear most. I really enjoy getting to know the equipment I play and work with, whether sailing, woodworking or biking among others. I am putting about 250 km a week on my e bike, and am well over an hour’s drive from my busy Trek dealer, so the prospect of doing my most-needed maintenance and repairs at home appeals to me. So the tools I have added here are:
Crank Brothers multi tool and other hex tools for home
Tire repair kit... spare tubes, c02, levers, mini pump with psi gauge, will add Stan’s
Chain... I now have a spare and quick links as well as a trail and HD Park shop chain pin tool
Park dummy rear hub
Pro Tools torque socket set
Park tools for cassette removal... long handle versions
Park chain cleaner and cassette cleaner devices/brushes
Cleaner, degreaser, chain lube and waterproof grease
Feeling like I am somewhat in control now.

Attachments

• 7B93D86E-41FF-434E-917C-6C4B10A4A4A4.jpeg
    7B93D86E-41FF-434E-917C-6C4B10A4A4A4.jpeg
    306.1 KB · Views: 301
Back