Ho to Wire ebike motor to the motor controller?

seg1980

Hi,
this is the first time i bought a ebike motor and motor controller.
I'm not able to run the motor.
I connected three phases from the motor to the controller with same color wires
and 5 wires from motor to control with same color wires.

Now it looks that i"m missing the throttle or something to ignite the motor.

If i need a throttle can guide which one i should order?
if not can someone guide me how to start running the motor.
Please see the attached diagram of what i did.

Thank you

diagram.png

My motor has:
3 wires for motors; green, blue, yellow
5 wires which i think are Hall sensor: red, green, blue, yellow, black

My controller has:
3 wires for motor: yellow, green, blue
5 wires for hall sensor: red, green, blue, yellow, black
2 wires for battery: red, black
2 wires: orange, red : lock
2 wires: red, black: charging port
2 wires: white, orange: brake light
2 wires: white, black: low braking
1 wire: blue
2 wires: black, brown
3 wires: black, violet, pink
3 wires: black, blue, gray

Ignite the motor? There's your issue! My guess is that you will need a wiring diagram for the controller to be certain what's going on. Wire color is not a guarantee, but I've never built one from scratch.

It's best to buy the motor and controller as part of the same kit, so you know that they work together.

I could just be lucky, but have wired up 6-10 ebikes and never encountered a controller or motor where matching up hall wires by color and phase wires by color didn't work. But the rest of the connectors can be anything, I never bought a controller that didn't have a wiring diagram. Didn't you get one?

@seg1980, Can you post a photo of the sticker on the controller and a link to the product? Every one is different. Generally the Red and Black convention is adhered to but colors like purple could be anything. One of these is likely for the throttle and the other the cadence sensor.
Can someone jump in to contribute on this? I am a mid-drive guy. And not a expert on hub controllers.
I would bet this coin toss on black, blue, gray for the throttle. We need to find a diagram like this for your controller. Last week I was soldering a display and the light brown was the same color as the purple. After messing up I had to take half the motor apart and the bike outside to tell the difference. Then chop off the connection and re-solder. I did all wires through frame on that bike with no zip ties. What a pain.
1654456294830.png

Hi,
this is the first time i bought a ebike motor and motor controller.
I'm not able to run the motor.
I connected three phases from the motor to the controller with same color wires
and 5 wires from motor to control with same color wires.

Now it looks that i"m missing the throttle or something to ignite the motor.

If i need a throttle can guide which one i should order?
if not can someone guide me how to start running the motor.
Please see the attached diagram of what i did.

Thank you

View attachment 50687

My motor has:
3 wires for motors; green, blue, yellow
5 wires which i think are Hall sensor: red, green, blue, yellow, black

My controller has:
3 wires for motor: yellow, green, blue
5 wires for hall sensor: red, green, blue, yellow, black
2 wires for battery: red, black
2 wires: orange, red : lock
2 wires: red, black: charging port
2 wires: white, orange: brake light
2 wires: white, black: low braking
2 wires: black, brown
Unfortunately there is no standard for ebike wiring. You need to get a diagram for your specific components.

Hopefully seg1980 has figured out his issue and moved on. He asked that question 2 years ago! 🤣

I've done a few of these where the motor wouldn't run with matching colors used motor to controller.

Both were easily conquered first try using the firing order of the motor wires, matched to the firing order of the controller wires. Firing orders generally shown as 1, 2, 3, or a, b, and c. Wire 1 on one side (labeled 1 or a) goes to wire one on the other side (also labeled as 1 or a) totally ignoring what color is connecting to what color.

Firing order of the motors listed somewhere showing the yellow, green and blue wires in a particular order, labeled 1 through 3 or maybe a,b, and c.

Sensor wires fire in the same order the phase wires do, so once you have the phase wire order figured, use the same for the sensors. So if you have the blue motor wire as firing first for example, you would connect it to the wire on the controller firing first, let's say it's yellow. Follow that with the blue motor sensor wire connected to the yellow controller sensor.

This leaves you just figuring out the correct phase wire connections, and correctly assuming those colors can be matched to connect the sensor wires.

KT controllers with the cover removed shows the phase wires are labeled a,b, and c right on the circuit board, so that side is always easy to figure out.

From my MAC 12t notes-
Phase Firing order, Motor, KT Controller
A Blue - Yellow
B Green - Blue
C Yellow - Green

For the later model Espins with 500w Bafang knock of motors-
Espin Motor Order KT Controller
Yellow A Blue
Blue B Green
Green C Yellow

I need help figuring out what I have ans how to hool it up I have a black controller with 2 groups of wires coming put of it. I took pics and also drew a diagram and labeled it best I could

Attachments

• 16963444844193974481288104178901.jpg
    16963444844193974481288104178901.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 759
  • 16963445347848095148919564687075.jpg
    16963445347848095148919564687075.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 746
  • 16963445632835768382152802675569.jpg
    16963445632835768382152802675569.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 1,388
I need help figuring out what I have ans how to hool it up I have a black controller with 2 groups of wires coming put of it. I took pics and also drew a diagram and labeled it best I could
It's very hard , if not impossible, to connect a controller by looking at the labels on the circuit board. Those mean nothing to most everyone. You should be referring to a diagram of the connectors for the controller, provided by whoever sold you the unit.

Back