Hit 2000 miles today.

dodgeman

Region
USA
City
Macomb, Illinois
Me and the wife bought Trek Verve+3 bikes about 10 months ago. I’ve ridden quite a bit more than my wife and hit 2000 mikes today. The bikes are pretty much what we expected and have been trouble free. I’ve had 1 flat tire from a thorn in the sidewall and have thrown my chain about 6 times, usually on a clunky up shift. I can put the chain back on in a couple minutes.

This post is more an endorsement of e bikes in general than a particular brand. The best description I’ve seen of e bikes is you will ride further, faster and more often. That seems spot on. Riding is fun, if you get a little tired you just bump up the boost a little. Hills and headwinds aren’t such a chore anymore.

I also enjoy this forum and the “Your rides “ thread, the pictures from other areas and countries are interesting. Carry on.
16713D31-6ED2-44EF-BA15-5734A3F90FA7.jpeg

Nice ! I'm new to ebiking just bought one & waiting on delv. I was an avid road biker years ago doing 200+ miles a week & had many +century rides, hung it up for about 15 years. Than a few years ago I bought a real nice Specialized road bike that turned into a garage ornament. I just couldn't get back into it. I'm hoping me ebike experience is similar to yours.

Congrats, Dodge!

I'm just about to hit 1,000 miles in about 15 months-- but the hills here are so steep and my motor is so small that I can get soaked with sweat on a four mile ride, more typical weeknight ride is 8 to 10 miles.

Similar experience: No maintenance issues other than just replacing the rear brake pad now, and the front brake pad twice. (That's the hills again!)

I had to tighten the quick release about six weeks ago, because it kept coming loose, which caused chain-slip while shifting. But that's it.

Isn't it an easy fix to avoid throwing a chain? You've checked the limit stops on the derailleur?

I’m throwing the chain of the front and it’s not usually on the smallest gear. I have a 9 speed and it seems like it’s the6 to 7 or the 7 to 8 shift when it happens.

You can over-shift on either chainring in the front. Get your bike off the ground and check the shifting. Limits are easy to set, but don't forget to check the limits with all usable gears (i.e. smallest front and rear, or big and big...)

Congrats, @dodgeman! Every thousand mile increment is a milestone to celebrate, wherever you might be when the odo clicks over. Then, it's onto the next thousand. After awhile, you start thinking of some of the more memorable rides you've been on in between thousand mile roll-overs.

Soon, you'll start wearing out tires and chains, fixing and replacing flattened tubes along the way. And then, the years start to click off and before you know it, a ton of miles and years have rolled under your own wheels!

In that case, you may have a chain that's too long or a derailleur that's not working properly. Have you checked to see if it pulls out the slack in all gears?
Park Tools on youtube has a video about properly sizing up your chain. I don't have the link to post here, but they are pretty much my go-to/git er dun video source for home repairing my ebike.

Back