Hiplok D1000 - Cutoff Wheel Resistant Lock

Onimaru

Region
USA
Hiplok has a kickstarter for their new u lock that is angle grinder cut off wheel resistant.

Worth a watch. A 2kg lock that takes 20+ minutes to cut through mixed with a frame lock/chain seems like a solid solution.

Yeah, I really regret missing this kickstarter. But I'll be an early retail customer. I expect there's going to be a lot of online destructive reviews.... I can only hope it does what it's designed to do. I have no reason to doubt the videos I've seen so far... but destructive tests done in the wild are a very good endorsement. If it works (not bagging it, I'm optimistic).

That lock seems quite robust, but as the saying goes, "a lock is only as strong as it's weakest link". So any chain needs to be as tough to cut through and if it is, and if it's chained to the typical pipe bike rack, 30 seconds with a hand operated pipe cutter will cut through that so the thief can put the whole bike in a truck and work on the lock and chain in secret. It would certainly be a deterent, but I would hate to lug it and a big chain with me. I rely on eyes on the bike at all times. At restaurants, I go to outdoor patio type settings and can relax with the bike in sight. No real good options really. For a quick run into the store maybe a thick cable and lock will suffice to deter the opportunist thief, that's the route I go. Mostly, I don't leave it unattended for long. YMMV.

Chain? It's a D-lock. Can be used with a chain, sure. But that's not what we're talking about. I'm still gonna get one for its intended application. 💪

It’s also for an ebike. I throw it in the panniers. Either way, it only weighs 4 lbs. I’m not leaving it locked over night and I won’t be far from it. I just don’t want to feel the need to stare at it.

It’s also for an ebike. I throw it in the panniers. Either way, it only weighs 4 lbs. I’m not leaving it locked over night and I won’t be far from it. I just don’t want to feel the need to stare at it.
Exactly. The "10% of the cost of the bike" formula really works till you get to bikes like the R&M SuperDelite... here in Oz that bike costs $16,000. I'm not sure I could lug around $1,600 worth of locks.... Be fun to make a video of someone trying though.

I’ll wait until someone credible tests this thing out. There was this belt lock called litelok and it had videos just like this one showing it’s impossible to cut. Those videos were nothing but paid advertisements. Companies will pay YouTube content creators to attempt to cut their locks but not be successful. Lock picking lawyer made a video cutting this thing in seconds. I suspect it’s no different with this new lock but well see.

I’ll wait until someone credible tests this thing out. There was this belt lock called litelok and it had videos just like this one showing it’s impossible to cut. Those videos were nothing but paid advertisements. Companies will pay YouTube content creators to attempt to cut their locks but not be successful. Lock picking lawyer made a video cutting this thing in seconds. I suspect it’s no different with this new lock but well see.
Yes, that lock was very disappointing. But the lock itself pretty much showed that unless Litelok was made of Adamantium or something, it was not going to do what it claimed. Physics always wins.
However in this case.... I dunno, I'm optimistic that the right combination of materials (and mass) can slow down grinders enough to make the difference. And yes, I'm waiting and seeing... as stated above.

No lock is perfect. But if you have 3 or 4 different styles, it stops thieves who have just 1 tool (aside from cutoff wheel) and it’s not worth the effort if there is an unlocked or simple to break lock close.

I garage mine at home and only need stuff to have piece of mind for a quick bathroom stop, store run in, or at the beer garden. I can park inside at work. So for me, this with my frame lock and chain is sufficient for what I want. Insurance is still smart.

The other option is to get the stupidly large heavy duty chain and leave it locked where you park at work or some place you go very often. Then you don’t need to take it with you.

Sad that in 2023, the best defense against ebike theft while shopping is still to have your support tank wait outside.

2jzUVw9o4GRCnU49DYdwZL.jpg

Last edited:
Back