Hi, senior from Denver!!

jolo100

Region
USA
I am looking to get and e-bike for exercise, recreation and just fun.
I'm finding it more complex thank buying a car and need help.
I'm only looking at LBS, as I am a senior, will be my first e-bike and will need support in my choice and maintenance.
Dealing with questions due to my height(5'4" and shrinking), finding a car rack and the cost of these things.
Jon

Welcome to the site.
If you put your zip code into the base site page search box, it will tell you what dealers in your area pay court to be listed.
Liv is a brand that caters to short people. Depending on leg length you'll probably need a 15", 16" or 17" frame.
There are several threads under "choosing an ebike" https://electricbikereview.com/forums/forum/choosing/ about options for short people. Some higher priced brands have frames in several sizes. Most dealers will not stock one, you'll have to buy it without ever sitting on it. Or cruise into a megastore in a city over 20000000, say LA Chicago (mikes) NYC (propel) Milwaukee (lennys).
My legs are short but the cargo bike in my picture is no longer for sale. Been replaced by a model for taller people.
Many people will try to direct you to bikes with 20" wheels. Be aware, when you hit a pothole or speed bump, the jerk is much more severe than on a bike with 26" wheels or larger. If you live in London UK or Amsterdam, bad pavement is not a problem. Yes a problem in the USA.
There are many threads about car racks in the parts and accessories section. https://electricbikereview.com/forums/forum/accessories/
Personally, I just gave up driving a car.

Welcome to the site.
If you put your zip code into the base site page search box, it will tell you what dealers in your area pay court to be listed.
Liv is a brand that caters to short people. Depending on leg length you'll probably need a 15", 16" or 17" frame.
There are several threads under "choosing an ebike" https://electricbikereview.com/forums/forum/choosing/ about options for short people. Some higher priced brands have frames in several sizes. Most dealers will not stock one, you'll have to buy it without ever sitting on it. Or cruise into a megastore in a city over 20000000, say LA Chicago (mikes) NYC (propel) Milwaukee (lennys).
My legs are short but the cargo bike in my picture is no longer for sale. Been replaced by a model for taller people.
Many people will try to direct you to bikes with 20" wheels. Be aware, when you hit a pothole or speed bump, the jerk is much more severe than on a bike with 26" wheels or larger. If you live in London UK or Amsterdam, bad pavement is not a problem. Yes a problem in the USA.
There are many threads about car racks in the parts and accessories section. https://electricbikereview.com/forums/forum/accessories/
EbikesUSA , It´s probably the largest ebike shop in Denver, with the largest selection. Even if you choose
something else, they probably have people to tune & repair your choice

Welcome to the site.
Thank you for your post!!
I live in Denver and I have been to three e-bike stores in town. I got to try a Pedago interceptor with 24" wheels at a Pedago store.
As someone who is trying to absorb the information, I sometimes get more confused when reading some of the posts you mention.
Inventory certainly is a big issue and I've been told that if I want a bike or color that isn't in the store, I'd have to wait until 2022.
At one store, they mentioned that when they receive a big for short people, that they sell fast.
On the rack, I just received two estimates and WOW!! They are well over $1,000 and they only have the $850 Thule rack. To my surprise, it is the cost is the rack that ruins my e-bike dreams.Too bad that I don't own a hatchback anymore.

EbikesUSA , It´s probably the largest ebike shop in Denver, with the largest selection. Even if you choose
something else, they probably have people to tune & repair your choice
I've been to a E-bike USA that is fairly near me. Looks like they have the largest inventory here. They left it with me to keep in touch as they just don't have e-bikes to suit my height. Told me to keep in touch with them in case they get something in. Dissapointed the situation. N ok t even one to try. I did really like the Raleigh they were showing me, but when they checked, no small sizes.

Biggest disappointment is the cost to mount a rack and hitch to my 2003 Accura sedan. Just received a estimate today for over $1,300 for just that. It almost seems that the stores that mount hitches and e-bike stores locally only have the expensive(and I'm sure excellent) Thule $850 rack. It's sadly too much for me with the E-bike from the stores looking like I will need to spend $3,000 +.

Ebikes of colorado is the best ebike shop I have been to in the Denver/Boulder Area.

https://www.ebikeofcolorado.com/
I haven't been to E bikes of Colorado, which is about an hours drive from Denver. I checked the site. I can only tell you that every E-bike that I just clicked on was out of stock. But, I didn't go to the store.
I mentioned before that even if I find one, the cost of a rack and hitch surprising me, the situation seems like it is just too expensive. I would need the support of a LBS and it looks like a e-bike, rack hitch, accessories like a lock, etc .will bring me me close to $5,000. For what I want, it seems too high. I'm a non-mechanical senior.
Thank you,
Jon

I haven't been to E bikes of Colorado, which is about an hours drive from Denver. I checked the site. I can only tell you that every E-bike that I just clicked on was out of stock. But, I didn't go to the store.
I mentioned before that even if I find one, the cost of a rack and hitch surprising me, the situation seems like it is just too expensive. I would need the support of a LBS and it looks like a e-bike, rack hitch, accessories like a lock, etc .will bring me me close to $5,000. For what I want, it seems too high. I'm a non-mechanical senior.
Thank you,
Jon
You could always give ebikes of colorado a call(ask for the owner Randy), you could even ask them to send in-store pictures of their stock. Note that they also have a secondary warehouse to hold stock. Their website has always been a letdown for me.

Having gone there since 2018, Im surprised at how many bikes they fit in the store. They recently installed shelves so many bikes are stacked two high. The most stocked ebike store I have been to but I havnt visited any other ebike stores since 2018.

They also do sunday rides, perhaps you could attend one.

I talk to the store owner Randy all the time, he is a great guy and good salesman. If they truly are out of stock, it most certainly isnt his fault as he tries to buy as many bikes as manufacturers will give him and they are all very low on stock right now.

On racks, 1upusa might work for you. I have one and its the best bike rack I have ever used.
https://www.1up-usa.com/

Last edited:
Ebikes of colorado is the best ebike shop I have been to in the Denver/Boulder Area.

https://www.ebikeofcolorado.com/
only brand they carry that would interest me is Magnum, but they do have a large selection. Depends
mainly what one wants to do with a bike & how much one willing to pay. Size seems to be the main issue
here.
Thank you,
Jon
Seems like your best option is wade thru the EBR reviews, purchase online, & know that,at least there are
shops not too distant that work on ebikes. Have you tried looking for a bike with 24¨wheels? Walmart has
some cheap ebikes, but I can´t speak for the quality. Researching EBR is still the best option, Perhaps a kit.
I definitely would not recommend ´hill topper´, It´s probably not what you had in mind, but a light folder
might serve since racks seems to be an issue.

Last edited:
Take a look at the Pedego lineup of ebikes. There are Pedego dealers in Boulder, Golden, South Denver, and more. I just purchased the Element. I'm a shorter guy too at 5'-6". The Element fits me perfectly at the lowest seat position. The dealer can cut the seat post to accommodate shorter riders.

Pedego seems to be very popular with seniors.

You might want to try a folding bike. They are smaller and they can fit in your trunk so you won't need a hitch or a bike rack. Saving on the hitch and bike rack will allow you to buy a better ebike.

Just a thought.

I read all manner of reviews, you should check out the one for the Blix Vika+ on EBR. it has a lot of power
for a small bike. far less bulky that the heavier folders & affordable around $1600.

only brand they carry that would interest me is Magnum, but they do have a large selection. Depends
mainly what one wants to do with a bike & how much one willing to pay. Size seems to be the main issue
here.
There is alot they have in store that is not on the website. You can form opinions all day long based on their website but in the end you would be misinformed unless you go there in person.

They even carry the NCM moscow...isnt it the holy grail :D

There is alot they have in store that is not on the website. You can form opinions all day long based on their website but in the end you would be misinformed unless you go there in person.

No such animal, but itś cheap & good transport😏 Think of it as a VW bug as opposed to Audi.

You could always give ebikes of colorado a call(ask for the owner Randy), you could even ask them to send in-store pictures of their stock. Note that they also have a secondary warehouse to hold stock. Their website has always been a letdown for me.

Having gone there since 2018, Im surprised at how many bikes they fit in the store. They recently installed shelves so many bikes are stacked two high. The most stocked ebike store I have been to but I havnt visited any other ebike stores since 2018.

They also do sunday rides, perhaps you could attend one.

I talk to the store owner Randy all the time, he is a great guy and good salesman. If they truly are out of stock, it most certainly isnt his fault as he tries to buy as many bikes as manufacturers will give him and they are all very low on stock right now.

On racks, 1upusa might work for you. I have one and its the best bike rack I have ever used.
https://www.1up-usa.com/
I enjoyed going to e-bike USA and worked with Mike who said he was the sales manager at their store in Cherry Creek. The increased sales of e-bikes and manufacturers low on inventory certainly isn't the fault of the store!! I'm sure Covid has had an effect of lowering manufacturing. My short stature has an effect on this. Randy, didn't have anything to show me that would work. He told me to keep in touch as I was told that a e bike for someone with a small inseam fly out the door quickly.. I did it see a few that would would well, however, they were too big for me.

I am will check out the rack you mentioned.

Hereś something to consider. in 1914 Henry Ford was on the verge of losing his company to creditors.
By 1921 he was the richest man in the world. Why? There ere lots of car makers, but they were costly.
Ford made cars anyone could afford.

Welcome to the site.
I just got it about putting ones zip code in the search. Thank you, very useful

Take a look at the Pedego lineup of ebikes. There are Pedego dealers in Boulder, Golden, South Denver, and more. I just purchased the Element. I'm a shorter guy too at 5'-6". The Element fits me perfectly at the lowest seat position. The dealer can cut the seat post to accommodate shorter riders.

Pedego seems to be very popular with seniors.
Thank you. I went to a Pedago dealer last week in Denver. They were very helpful and I was able to test an Interceptor with 24" tires.

here.

Seems like your best option is wade thru the EBR reviews, purchase online, & know that,at least there are
shops not too distant that work on ebikes. Have you tried looking for a bike with 24¨wheels? Walmart has
some cheap ebikes, but I can´t speak for the quality. Researching EBR is still the best option, Perhaps a kit.
I definitely would not recommend ´hill topper´, It´s probably not what you had in mind, but a light folder
might serve since racks seems to be an issue.
I actually was able to test a Pedago 24" wheel bike last week.
Cost and yes, the rack is an issue for me as I didn't expect it to be so high. Heck, I live off of my social security. In my crazy mind, I feel like I need to get the bike transport issue solved before I actually get the bike. I do need reliability and easy to use, but not top of the line. I would prefer to get the rack at the same shop that I get my bike, but the ones I went to only sell that $850 Thule.
I'm looking to go work a bike shop as I am learning and I need to make sure that the e-bike been be maintained and supported well.

I know the OP has called ebikes of colorado and they didnt have anything but I decided to visit the shop during a ride today and take pics of their stock.

Note that they have a secondary warehouse full of bikes as well.
IMG_20210728_141027102.jpg
IMG_20210728_140842388.jpg
IMG_20210728_140828408.jpg
IMG_20210728_140813820.jpg
IMG_20210728_140800814.jpg

Back