Help with non bike lithium battery replacement

opimax

Region
USA
City
Atlanta
Hi,

I have a 14.4 battery pack for 1 of my blue tooth speakers. The cells are old and no longer useable. I would like to replace them. I do not have the ability to do so. What kind of assistance can I get ? Someone I can ship this to to do this ? I don’t have any special tools for the welding/ soldering. Could I do this myself anyway? What can I do to help make this happen

Tia
Mark

Move to California. There are shops there that repair ebike batteries. You can't ship them, not unless you are a trained certified Haz-mat shipper with business liability insurance.

Not an ebike battery just 4 cells . It could be carry on like a laptop battery. But the cells are attached to the board, maybe replace the individual cells ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    523.7 KB · Views: 110
You need electrical skills to replace the cells. If these are 18650 cells (18mm in diameter and 65mm long), they can be purchased with nickel tabs already attached. Then the existing cells could be snipped out of the battery, and the new ones soldered in place.
Unlike doing this with AA cells, even one 18650 cell can set a house on fire if it gets away, I have a 18650 flashlight I lost somewhere in the house, and I hope to find it before the dog starts chewing on it. Fires have been started with the dog gnawing on a cell, believe it or not,

I'm a pretty handy person, but I've come to the conclusion that messing with lithium cells (especially UNPROTECTED cells) is extremely dangerous. In the paper just this morning 2 people were killed when a lithium pack caught fire in a NYC ebike shop. Lots of amazing YouTube videos regarding lithium cell fires.

There are safe cells (made by Panasonic, LG, Sony, a few others). Then there's Chinese junk, sold for a fraction of the price. The US is finally beginning to realize the danger.

Not trying to set a fire , not even wanting to do this myself , happy to pay just don’t know how to get it done. Only way to make it portable again is to replace this battery pack that is no longer made or get this repaired/replaced cells.

I have 2 , both need new cells at least I assume.

I am happy to get it done correctly/legally if I can . Next choice is find someone with the ability to get this done correctly anyway I can

They have 4 cell 14.4 v packs that end in 2 wires but need the small board attached, not a simple task (for me). Is it easier to replace the individual cells? Again both choices above my level…

Quick response..
It most likely is 14.8, my mistake..
Now I will read the link ,thx

Note that the connector has 5 connections

Note that the connector has 5 connections
That is most likely because the charging circuit monitors the battery pack, including the temperature. The two black wires going between the cells on the right is very likely a thermocouple to measure temperature. Good systems monitor for both high and low temperature. The replacement cells need to be the same chemistry and physical size. It shouldn't matter if they are higher capacity. Hopefully you can find someone to do the work for you.

Back