Help please,

Tom trussler

Region
Europe
I have a free go walk electric bike, even though I have a fully charged battery every time I set off the bike will only go for a few metres, then cuts out, if I turn the key off and then back on again, all the lights come on as if we are ready to go again But after a few metres it stops again . If I put the bike on the stand, I can open the throttle and the wheel will turn for as long as I like it too. Even if I sit on the bike with it on the stand and open the throttle, they will still keep turning, including when I peddle the problem only seems to be when I actually ride on the road.

I have a free go walk electric bike, even though I have a fully charged battery every time I set off the bike will only go for a few metres, then cuts out, if I turn the key off and then back on again, all the lights come on as if we are ready to go again But after a few metres it stops again . If I put the bike on the stand, I can open the throttle and the wheel will turn for as long as I like it too. Even if I sit on the bike with it on the stand and open the throttle, they will still keep turning, including when I peddle the problem only seems to be when I actually ride on the road.
Welcome and thank you for reaching out. I do not have an answer readily available. I do have a testing question which may help lead toward an answer. What would happen if you put the bike in the stand, with the throttle partially open and gently jiggled the brake levers, simulating vibrations and bumps? Here is another test: Disconnect the brake lever cutout connectors one at a time, as you ride.

Welcome and thank you for reaching out. I do not have an answer readily available. I do have a testing question which may help lead toward an answer. What would happen if you put the bike in the stand, with the throttle partially open and gently jiggled the brake levers, simulating vibrations and bumps? Here is another test: Disconnect the brake lever cutout connectors one at a time, as you ride.
Thank you very much for your advice, I will give it a go tomorrow and let you know how I get on🤞

The simplest cause, and cheapest to fix, would be be a corroded or loose connection somewhere. This can lead to a voltage drop under a high current load and cause the controller to shut down. The battery connectors would be the first thing to check. Clean them with emery cloth or a jewelers file and apply some dielectric grease.

Hopefully, it isn't a battery issue or a faulty controller.

It sounds like your battery is dead/badly in need of recharging.

One thing you might try is to make sure your hands are not on the brake levers, just to make sure you aren't triggering the kill switch.
Another thing might be to hold the tire with your free hand to see if that resistance causes it to stop ( while you are on the stand).

Does it have some kind of voltage display that might tell the condition of the battery?

It sounds like your battery is dead/badly in need of recharging.
I have charged the battery overnight. There are three lights on the battery two of which are green and one is red. Maybe this indicates that the battery is not completely charging however, I think I would be right to expect that it would still not keep cutting out.

I have charged the battery overnight. There are three lights on the battery two of which are green and one is red. Maybe this indicates that the battery is not completely charging however, I think I would be right to expect that it would still not keep cutting out.
You MIGHT be right if it were not for the fact e-bikes generally have a built in circuit that shuts down the power when the available battery voltage drops to a certain level. This is done to protect the battery, as running them at the bottom of their capacity is hard on them.

If you have a red light after an overnight charge, SOMETHING is broke and must be dealt with. Some of the possibilities could be the charger (no output), the charge jack, a fuse in the battery (either of which might not let the charge from the charger reach the battery), or worst case, the battery itself. About the only way to figure out which it is is with a good volt meter and some simple troubleshooting....

You MIGHT be right if it were not for the fact e-bikes generally have a built in circuit that shuts down the power when the available battery voltage drops to a certain level. This is done to protect the battery, as running them at the bottom of their capacity is hard on them.

If you have a red light after an overnight charge, SOMETHING is broke and must be dealt with. Some of the possibilities could be the charger (no output), the charge jack, a fuse in the battery (either of which might not let the charge from the charger reach the battery), or worst case, the battery itself. About the only way to figure out which it is is with a good volt meter and some simple troubleshooting....
Thanks very much for the advice. It is much appreciated.

The difference between on the road and on the stand is that on the stand there is no real resistance, so the motor does not need much amps /power).
On the road, the motor must overcome the full resistance and therefore tries to pull many more amps/power from the battery.
If that cause a battery protection system to cutoff, It is indeed most likely because the battery that is unable to provide high current.

Back